chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpu

Tiger Mom/Physiatrist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where do I begin? I have a rather coloured academic background: I spent my first two years of university of Toronto where due to some very screwed up personal issues, I did very badly. I walked away from there with a 2.0 GPA, with 60 credits. Shortly thereafter I got married and took a year off, (I didn't have a choice, INS was processing my paperwork). I literally started again at a state school in florida and graduated in 2.5 years with 118 credits behind me (not including the first 60), with a GPA of 4.0. My cumulative GPA is now 3.3. I took the MCAT this past April and did relatively well (33M, 10V-11P-12B). I would like to apply to MD-PhD as well as MD-only programs. I've done over two years of research, in particular related to melanoma, looking at the problem from a peptide chemistry point of view as well as a molecular biology point of view. I also have excellent LORs, ECs and a *little* clinical exposure. So what do you think? Should I bother applying for the MD-PhD programs or just apply to MD programs only?

Members don't see this ad.

it seems like md programs would be more forgiving to the past grades, given the strong upward trend. but just from the sheer competitive nature of md/phd (it seems like all people on this board who are accepted are unbelievable in some way or the other) it would be real tough. jpaikman just suggested ut-houstans program though for those with a lower stats. perhaps getting in and applying to programs in-house woudl be better, so you can make sure that you get the md program of your choice first.
-jot

If you only have a "little" clinical experience, then I would say that you are probably more competitive on the MSTP front than the MD only. For instance, if WashU's MSTP likes you, they'll get you by the MD people, even if your stats aren't so good. If research is really what you'd like to do, then by all means shoot for MSTP and if it comes down to choosing a great MD over a good MSTP spot, deal with it then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say go ahead and apply. You might explain in your personal statement what happened in your life and how you were able to turn things around. You have a fairly competitive application otherwise, so just apply to a variety of programs.

Good luck. :D

thanks for the encouragement! :)