Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnhopeful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am nontrad student (28y.o.), registered nurse, compeleted four years army as Captain. My stats GPA 3.13, science 3.29 (worked full-time during undergrad) August MCAT is 33M. What are my chances of admission to D.O. schools? It seems everyone else here is in opposite boat, high GPA, low MCAT...... Any help is appreciated! Thank you----

Members don't see this ad.

Hey John,
I honestly think that your chances are great. Not only do you have the MCAT on your side (33 is awesome), but you have excellent experience in the health care field. You also do show that you have leadership experience and capabilities because you served in the army as a captain. These days age is a non-issue in applying to med school either as an osteopath or allopath. I think that with these things in your corner, your GPA will not bear as much weight as you would think. Apply to ALOT of different places and see where you get in. You definitely do not want to limit yourself when it comes to these things. Good luck!

I agree, you have an excellent chance to get accepted. I am 29 yo and have an almost identical gpa. I worked in an ER and had great clinical experience but my MCAT was only 25. I did, however, score an S on the writing and was told that for an osteopathic school that this was a significant factor, i.e. ability to communicate, etc. I have excellent leadership experience and two bachelor's degrees (one chemistry and one business). I was accepted to TUCOM for class of 2007. From the sounds of it, you have an excellent application and should feel very good about applying as long as you have some good recommendation letters to back up your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
John

You're in good shape. Apply early and have solid letters of recommendation.

Good luck.

Wow! Are you kidding? What a great MCAT score. I would kill for that score. Very good experience, too. Your chances are great!