Jul 23, 2009
Status
Soooo, first post, thought I'd take a chance here...

cGPA-3.7, sGPA-3.54
MCAT1: 28R (9,10,9,R)
MCAT2: 29S (10,10,9,S)

EC: 2 hospitals for ~215 hrs so far; other volunteer work ~70 hrs various projects; 3 intramural sports; few big scholarships at my school; thesis awards; research for ~1 yr now and continuing with poster and 1-2 pubs very soon, by august; lots of shadowing

I have worked on my PS a good bit and am feeling confident about it...as for LORs, I know they will be very good...

my mcat worries me, especially because i only went up 1 pt on my second try, and BS score is still a 9...

I'm a FL resident, so FSU/USF/UCF/FIU are my top options, but even these are a crapshoot...I'm planning to submit my app. by Monday at the latest, I waited until I got my scores because I was really nervous and now I'm just triple checking everything...I'm applying to all the low tier schools that look at OOS applicants (Tulane, NYMC, GWU, Drexel, UL, U Illinois, South Car., Mich. State even with the unholy tuition...)

Just want to see what type of chances I have for allopathic schools...I'm applying to 5-6 DO schools also, and if I have to, SGU...thanks for any advice, much appreciated!

Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Soooo, first post, thought I'd take a chance here...

cGPA-3.7, sGPA-3.54
MCAT1: 28R (9,10,9,R)
MCAT2: 29S (10,10,9,S)

EC: 2 hospitals for ~215 hrs so far; other volunteer work ~70 hrs various projects; 3 intramural sports; few big scholarships at my school; thesis awards; research for ~1 yr now and continuing with poster and 1-2 pubs very soon, by august; lots of shadowing

I have worked on my PS a good bit and am feeling confident about it...as for LORs, I know they will be very good...

my mcat worries me, especially because i only went up 1 pt on my second try, and BS score is still a 9...

I'm a FL resident, so FSU/USF/UCF/FIU are my top options, but even these are a crapshoot...I'm planning to submit my app. by Monday at the latest, I waited until I got my scores because I was really nervous and now I'm just triple checking everything...I'm applying to all the low tier schools that look at OOS applicants (Tulane, NYMC, GWU, Drexel, UL, U Illinois, South Car., Mich. State even with the unholy tuition...)

Just want to see what type of chances I have for allopathic schools...I'm applying to 5-6 DO schools also, and if I have to, SGU...thanks for any advice, much appreciated!
I'm sure you're golden for most DO schools. As far as allopathic, I know people with 29s that got into the Florida schools (FSU specifically). Any of the schools in Florida are solid and you have great extracurriculars it seems, so that will help. Goodluck, I'm sure you'll get a good look somewhere for an M.D. school.

sshashid87

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for replying...I also know of ppl. with 29s who got interviews but not acceptances, that's why I'm worried...also I'm behind in the game since I'm submitting my app. end of July, but am going to have all secondary essays completed by end of August (except for the why X school type questions)...

Should I retake the MCAT late august or early september, or should I just apply and see what happens...I don't know how much 1 month of studying will do seeing as how I haven't really looked at a book since June...my EC's only fill up 9-10 boxes on amcas, but a few of them have like 6 projects all rolled into one...

Dwindlin

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Your GPA and MCAT score are almost identical to mine. Apply broadly.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for replying...I also know of ppl. with 29s who got interviews but not acceptances, that's why I'm worried...also I'm behind in the game since I'm submitting my app. end of July, but am going to have all secondary essays completed by end of August (except for the why X school type questions)...

Should I retake the MCAT late august or early september, or should I just apply and see what happens...I don't know how much 1 month of studying will do seeing as how I haven't really looked at a book since June...my EC's only fill up 9-10 boxes on amcas, but a few of them have like 6 projects all rolled into one...
I wouldn't retake. By applying across FL, I think you have a decent shot at getting in somewhere. In addition, you are a great candidate at DO schools. You can apply to SGU if you'd like, but I would recommend taking the year off and retaking the MCAT before you go to an island school.

sshashid87

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Fair enough, thanks for all the advice! I'm going to submit my app then and see what happens...thanks again!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Fair enough, thanks for all the advice! I'm going to submit my app then and see what happens...thanks again!
No problem, good luck!!