Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

chances ? ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Coolio30, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, all. Here is the story. I am a NJ resident and have a 3.9 GPA and a 27 MCAT (10V, 9B, 8P, O). At this point, I would love to get into my two state schools, UMDNJ, and RWJ. However, I am applying to DO schools and out of state MD schools (low tier). How do you all feel are my chances. If I do not retake, I am sure my options are limited but I much rather just get into a school. Is it necessary for me to retake to get into any MD school. Also, I am Asian so I dont know how what effect this has. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

For the schools you are applying to, I think you'll be fine... especially since you're not bent on getting into all the top schools... and since your applying DO (good for you!! :) )

This is my reasoning: You don't have less than an 8 in any of the MCAT sections and your gpa is high. Being Asian isn't going to help you... but considering the schools you are applying to, you should be ok.

But I don't want to sound like I think I'm an adcom or something... you never really now.

That's just my opinion... which is all anyone can give you.

Good luck :)

4. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member
    7+ Year Member

5. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

I have no idea how competitive your state schools are to get into, but if you just want to get in somewhere, and you have an otherwise strong application, (How are your EC's, LOR's, essays?) then I don't think you need to re-take. Just make sure to apply to lots of schools, and a wide range of them. Other aspects of your application besides stats are going to be decisive in whether/where you get in. It's hard to say what your chances are without knowing what the rest of your application is like, but that would be true even with a higher MCAT.

6. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member
    7+ Year Member

so do you all feel that I should retake? do you think that with a 27, the schools will at least look at the rest of my application, and hopefully interview. I do have great ECs (volunteer, shadowing experience, research, upcoming publication, etc.) and a high GPA (3.9) science and non-science. If I retake, I am confident that my PS score can increase but I feel that I will only improve a few points (29-31) as that was my score during practice exams.

7. ramkijai

ramkijai Member
    7+ Year Member

i think the average MCAT at RWJ is about 28-29 so you are pretty close. the gpa is about 3.5. your numbers are strong enough as they are. apply as well to the philadelphia area schools especially Drexel Med (MCPHU). New Jersey follows Pennsylvania and Cali in terms of percentage of matriculants. the average numbers for them are 3.4 and 28. Good luck!