Change in Culture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTGas2B

Cloudy and 50
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here I am. After 31 years of life as a civilian, including 9 years of civilian medical training I'm now practicing in the Navy. I'm a polite guy, and respectful, but I'm a fairly casual. By the end of residency and fellowship I would address attendings on a first name basis, and that was okay. In the Pacific northwest people are pretty laid back out that stuff. People who insist on formalities are kind of frowned upon.

Now I'm in the Navy. So, I'm placing an epidural in a laboring woman, an active duty enlisted woman. While I'm doing it, (we later find out) she dilates from 5 to 8 cm. Not comfortable, especially when some guy is jamming a needle in your back telling you it will feel better. So as I say, "Hold still," "You're doing great," "I'm almost done,"

She responds, "Yes sir," "Thank you sir," "Okay sir"

Stark contrast to most of the responses I've received from laboring women in the past. Many of which would probably be blocked by SDN mods.

I just couldn't help but laugh at the contrast

Members don't see this ad.

So here I am. After 31 years of life as a civilian, including 9 years of civilian medical training I'm now practicing in the Navy. I'm a polite guy, and respectful, but I'm a fairly casual. By the end of residency and fellowship I would address attendings on a first name basis, and that was okay. In the Pacific northwest people are pretty laid back out that stuff. People who insist on formalities are kind of frowned upon.

Now I'm in the Navy. So, I'm placing an epidural in a laboring woman, an active duty enlisted woman. While I'm doing it, (we later find out) she dilates from 5 to 8 cm. Not comfortable, especially when some guy is jamming a needle in your back telling you it will feel better. So as I say, "Hold still," "You're doing great," "I'm almost done,"

She responds, "Yes sir," "Thank you sir," "Okay sir"

Stark contrast to most of the responses I've received from laboring women in the past. Many of which would probably be blocked by SDN mods.

I just couldn't help but laugh at the contrast

Not that it would happen (can't be pregnant in Boot Camp) but.....

Marine Corp Boots always refer to themselves in the third person.

You would get responses like:
This recruit is experiencing a contraction, sir.
This recruit is having some pain, sir.

Ahhh yes... this recruit remembers those days.

I remember I story I once heard from about a recruit that tried to leave the Island without permision. He actually did pretty well: he put on some PT gear, stole a bike, and when he rode up to the gate the guard assumed he was a NCO out for some exercise. However when the guard asked "going for a ride?" the guy says "This recruit is just going for a ride across..."

The tackled him.