Change in Financial aid package

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ckent, Jun 3, 2001.

1. ckent

ckent Banned
    Banned

I am going to be a second year, and my school gave me 3,000 in grants for first year, but second year, I got nothing in grants and only loans. I was wondering if anybody else's med school did stuff like this.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fermi

Fermi Senior Member

Well, since you have to file for financial aid every year, your whole package will change every year as well. Your financial situation changes from year to year, as does that of the school. Assume that any award you see is a one-time award only, unless it is specified as in a yearly renewable stipend or some such.

4. ckent

ckent Banned
    Banned

Well, I went and talked to our Financial aid advisor and he said that I "hadn't done anything wrong", it's just that those grants are given out at random to people that need them and I just happened to not get it this year. I go to a public school, so I guess it's not that big of a deal, it was only 3,000, but I was just thinking that what if that 3,000 was the reason that I decided to attend my school (the 3,000 grant made it cheaper then all the other schools I got into). That would have made me upset that they did not clarify that the grants could be taken away "at random". Also, I was just wondering if anyone who decided to go to a private school with a generous financial aid package their freshman year got stuck with a much worse package their 2nd-4th year.