Change in Gap Year Plan after Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

13962Girl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my primary application referencing my gap year plans for a Masters program to which I had been accepted (not a SMP). Though I was told the program coukd be, under certain circumstances, completed in 1 year, which is one of the main reasons I applied for it in the first place, it now looks like that is not possible. Since that is the case, the program will no longer work with my plan to hopefully start med school next fall.

I can withdraw my acceptance to masters program, since it has not officially started. How do I reflect this going forward on my applications? I made very brief mention of it in my personal statement and in my activities section. I expect to be verified next week, and will be submitting all my secondaries by Sept. 1.

Thanks for any advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the secondaries include an optional section for anything additional you want the AdComs to know -- I think that would be a good place for a quick update. Include why the masters plan fell through and what you'll actually be doing instead

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I guess I'm fortunate in some way in that I still have a chance to update adcoms via my secondaries. I'm just very disappointed this opportunity didn't work out because I was looking forward to the program.

My gap year plans will now consist of paid (no medical) full time employment, since I need to support myself (the masters would have included a small stipend, but enough that I could have lived off of it for the year). I will also continue with my med related volunteer activities, and hopefully add something community related that interests me.

I have read many times on SDN that most masters with the exception of SMPs really don't enhance your med school application much if at all, so I am really hoping that this change doesn't damage my chances any.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read many times on SDN that most masters with the exception of SMPs really don't enhance your med school application much if at all, so I am really hoping that this change doesn't damage my chances any.
If you feel that your undergrad GPAs are a weakness, then taking more undergrad classes in upper-level Bio (and earning A grades) would have been more beneficial than a traditional masters.

If you feel that your undergrad GPAs are a weakness, then taking more undergrad classes in upper-level Bio (and earning A grades) would have been more beneficial than a traditional masters.

Unfortunately I can't turn back time at this point . And I may very well end up pursuing this strategy or a traditional SMP next year if I am not successful this cycle. There is a *slim* chance I could still register at this late date for some upper level undergrad classes and I am looking into that at this very moment. But my main concern right now is figuring out the best way to reflect my change in plans in my secondaries and putting together the best, most productive Plan B gap year that I can.

my main concern right now is figuring out the best way to reflect my change in plans in my secondaries and putting together the best, most productive Plan B gap year that I can.
The plan you've outlined below sounds good to me. The reason for withdrawing from the masters is a good one, namely the discovery that you are not guaranteed to complete the program within one year. Better that you know this now, than finding out belatedly.
My gap year plans will now consist of paid (no medical) full time employment, since I need to support myself . . .. I will also continue with my med related volunteer activities, and hopefully add something community related that interests me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, @Catalystik. I really appreciate it, it's been quite stressful having what I thought were well laid plans fall apart at what feels like the last minute.