Change in gap year plans - help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gunsandroes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN! Back again with a new question - thanks for all of your help so far. :)

I've already submitted all of my secondaries. Most of my schools asked for my plans during the gap year, and I told them that I am doing three medically related things. I am still doing all three things, but am considering a change to one of them (a volunteer position).

In short, I was accepted as a volunteer at a clinic and told that I would perform a certain role to a certain type of patient - which is what I stated in my secondaries. However, I was recently informed that because not enough volunteers were interested in my role, they are not willing to hold a training session for only me. My alternative, if I continue volunteering at this clinic, would be to do administrative work with little to no patient interaction.

Because I am much more interested in patient interaction than administrative work, I have contacted another hospital, which serves the same patient population as the previous one, that is willing to have me rotate, help out, and directly interact with its patients.

I am just wondering if 1. this is a change that is worth making, or if I should suck it up and do administrative work at the clinic that I originally told my schools I would be working at, despite the fact that my role would no longer be what I told the schools and 2. if this is worth updating schools about. This is just one of three gap year activities (the other two have remained unchanged), and I have essentially replaced it with another medical activity that involves interaction with the same type of patients. I want to be as transparent as possible, but I also don't want to spam them with information they may not be interested in, and am wondering if it is enough to mention at interviews. But would my interviewer be taken aback by this change in plans?

I would really appreciate any and all thoughts. Thanks so much, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would switch to the other volunteer position where you would garner more interesting experiences for yourself.

I don't think this is worth updating schools about. They understand people make changes to their plans and something like that won't make or break your app.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I basically feel along the same lines, but just wanted to get concurrent advice to confirm that this is the right decision or to make sure that there is not some factor I did not take into account. If anyone else has any thoughts on this, even if it's just in agreement (it would make me feel a lot better and less neurotic about this), please let me know!! Thanks so much, SDN :)