Change in U.S. News Ranking of 2012 Top Ranked Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowfish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone was interested, here's a link to an interesting table showing ranking trends of the current U.S. News top 20 research schools over the past 18 years. I'm not endorsing this or whatever, but I like numbers, and therefore enjoy looking at stuff like this regardless ;)

http://www.adminplan.northwestern.edu/ir/data-book/v44/1.08-usnews-med-rankings.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Does Harvard get a free pass just for being Harvard? It's just 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 every year.

Does Harvard get a free pass just for being Harvard? It's just 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 every year.

Hahaha, I know. It's the only school who's ranking hasn't changed at all!

Members don't see this ad :)

Hahaha, I know. It's the only school who's ranking hasn't changed at all!

Well it is affiliated with the #1 (MGH) and #9 (BWH) hospitals in the country. I don't think any other medical school can say that.

Well it is affiliated with the #1 (MGH) and #9 (BWH) hospitals in the country. I don't think any other medical school can say that.

And their ridiculously high full time faculty to student ratio of ~13:1. I guess it'd be nice to get 13 different opinions on something.

I have heard that harvard reports their research budget in a different way than most other schools. Something about being accused of inflating it by using affiliate hospital research budgets in their counts regardless of the level (or lack of) collaboration.

If anyone was interested, here's a link to an interesting table showing ranking trends of the current U.S. News top 20 research schools over the past 18 years. I'm not endorsing this or whatever, but I like numbers, and therefore enjoy looking at stuff like this regardless ;)

http://www.adminplan.northwestern.edu/ir/data-book/v44/1.08-usnews-med-rankings.pdf

Yet another reason why California needs more medical schools (MD).

3 OUT OF 5 PUBLIC SCHOOLS and 1 OUT OF 2 PRIVATE SCHOOLS are on this list, and admissions are unreasonably competitive.

Loma Linda is not included, because they only accept 7th adventists, or other heavily christian applicants with years upon years of active church involvement, which is discriminatory.

That leaves UC Davis and UC Irvine, with USC. These schools are more selective than most other schools of medicine in the country.

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ok. Their hospital has been #1 in the country for the past 21 years... except this year.

Well to be fair, US news had to change how the rankings were done to make hopkins NOT number 1 for the 22nd year in a row.

It's funny that hopkins out ranks MGH in 13 out of 16 specialties AND that MGH doesn't have a single specilaty that is #1 or #2 in the country yet can be called the number 1 hospital in the country. What a joke.

3 OUT OF 5 PUBLIC SCHOOLS and 1 OUT OF 2 PRIVATE SCHOOLS are on this list, and admissions are unreasonably competitive.

Loma Linda is not included, because they only accept 7th adventists, or other heavily christian applicants with years upon years of active church involvement, which is discriminatory.

That leaves UC Davis and UC Irvine, with USC. These schools are more selective than most other schools of medicine in the country.

Cali definitely does, but IMO the whole west coast needs more schools. Washington, DC has more schools than Washington State.

Cali definitely does, but IMO the whole west coast needs more schools. Washington, DC has more schools than Washington State.

Yes indeed. The PNW is short, big time.

Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho have a big fat 0 number of med schools.

Colorado, New Mexico, Washington, Oregon, Utah only have 1 each.

However, California is in the process of developing 4 additional MD granting SOMs, which is great news. They're in Merced, Riverside, Elk Grove (Sacramento), and San Diego (part of the Scripps Research Institute). Sadly, however, there are no future MD programs in the PNW according to this list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_the_United_States#Developing_medical_schools

Yes indeed. The PNW is short, big time.

What makes you think these states need a school?

Colorado, New Mexico, Washington, Oregon, Utah only have 1 each.

What makes you believe that these states need more than one school?

San Diego (part of the Scripps Research Institute).

Scrapped. Realized it was not needed and funding could be better used.

I like this thread: it is nice to know how good the schools you get rejected from really are.

The rank system fails for schools in top 20. You can be accepted by harvard but rejected by hopkins. They're all equal, but more difficult than mid or low tiers.

That is completely unfair and discriminatory. I think you should get a lawyer and sue Loma Linda for NonChristian discrimination. It seems like a good case; and I think some AdComs would like that you took the initiative for correcting a social wrong.

That is completely unfair and discriminatory. I think you should get a lawyer and sue Loma Linda for NonChristian discrimination. It seems like a good case; and I think some AdComs would like that you took the initiative for correcting a social wrong.

Private school--can accept whoever they want to.

You forgot Alaska. But those states collaborate with UW and, I think, UNevada-Reno. so students will do their first year in either Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Alaska, and then do their second year in UW or Nevada. If you have any connections to those states, it might behoove you to apply. Yeah, you'll be in Cheyenne or Anchorage for one year, but you'll have a nice shiny UW Med degree to hang on the wall.

You forgot Alaska. But those states collaborate with UW and, I think, UNevada-Reno. so students will do their first year in either Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Alaska, and then do their second year in UW or Nevada. If you have any connections to those states, it might behoove you to apply. Yeah, you'll be in Cheyenne or Anchorage for one year, but you'll have a nice shiny UW Med degree to hang on the wall.

Check the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) program out.

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/wwami/pages/default.aspx

http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/wwami/

I should have made something clear in my post...

The term "discrimination" is usually reserved for describing perjorative, racially or ethnically motivated actions that are unfair to groups of people.

However, you'll see in the technical definition of "discrimination" that this term is actually defined as
"treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dis+crimination

Therefore, and in this case, should Loma Linda engage in preferential admissions policies based on religious backgrounds, then they are engaging wholeheartedly in discrimination.

As proof, read the following.

On the wikipedia entry for Loma Linda University, which is valid in quoting since it's protected by administrative officials for the school, itself, you'll actually see them flatly admit to discrimination. They state, and I quote,
"Because Loma Linda is a religious university affiliated with the Seventh-Day Adventist church, preference is given to members of their faith. However, there are spots reserved every year for members of other faiths."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loma_Linda_University_School_of_Medicine

On Loma Linda's webpage, they go as far as to further restrict their admissions based on religion to this:
"We seek applicants who have demonstrated by life experiences that their own personal mission is consistent with ours and who wish to join us in continuing the "healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ to make man whole."
http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions/index.page

On a personal note, I have friends that are 7th day adventists. I dated a girl that went to a 7th day adventists private high school. I also have friends that are now attending Loma Linda University, that are 7th day adventists.

These friends were accepted with less than stellar GPAs and MCATs, and IMO, were not competitive medical school applicants in California.

What makes you think these states need a school?
Scrapped. Realized it was not needed and funding could be better used.

The fact that there's a national doctor shortage, and that programs designed to address MD admissions for students in these states are not up to par.

Every state should have an MD program. It's behind the times to not have a way to provide physicians to local areas. New, and existing medical schools are opening strictly for the purpose of funneling physicians to local areas.

Your tone sucks, by the way. Instead of backhanding my post with flat denials and what have you, try engaging in a personable type of conversation. I wouldn't normally reply to someone like you, but since you asked about something that can help prove my larger point, I felt obliged.

I should have made something clear in my post...

The term "discrimination" is usually reserved for describing perjorative, racially or ethnically motivated actions that are unfair to groups of people.

However, you'll see in the technical definition of "discrimination" that this term is actually defined as
"treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dis+crimination

Therefore, and in this case, should Loma Linda engage in preferential admissions policies based on religious backgrounds, then they are engaging wholeheartedly in discrimination.

As proof, read the following.

On the wikipedia entry for Loma Linda University, which is valid in quoting since it's protected by administrative officials for the school, itself, you'll actually see them flatly admit to discrimination. They state, and I quote,
"Because Loma Linda is a religious university affiliated with the Seventh-Day Adventist church, preference is given to members of their faith. However, there are spots reserved every year for members of other faiths."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loma_Linda_University_School_of_Medicine

On Loma Linda's webpage, they go as far as to further restrict their admissions based on religion to this:
"We seek applicants who have demonstrated by life experiences that their own personal mission is consistent with ours and who wish to join us in continuing the “healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ to make man whole."
http://www.llu.edu/medicine/admissions/index.page

On a personal note, I have friends that are 7th day adventists. I dated a girl that went to a 7th day adventists private high school. I also have friends that are now attending Loma Linda University, that are 7th day adventists.

These friends were accepted with less than stellar GPAs and MCATs, and IMO, were not competitive medical school applicants in California.

Waaa? I'm agreeing with you. Go get a lawyer and sue them instead of standing in a corner and whining about it. Adcoms like action: not inaction.

Good luck on being a doctor by the way.

Washington State is pretty big, and the fact that their med school is top ranked makes it a lot harder to stay in the Pacific Northwest and serve the area.

Edit: And Boise State is getting better at football. Maybe it's time for a new medical school?

The fact that there's a national doctor shortage, and that programs designed to address MD admissions for students in these states are not up to par.

Every state should have an MD program. It's behind the times to not have a way to provide physicians to local areas. New, and existing medical schools are opening strictly for the purpose of funneling physicians to local areas.

It's not necessarily going to be in a state's best interest to build their own medical school, especially if they can contract with other schools to ensure room for applicants for their state. There are significant cost factors at every level. It might be more prudent to do what these locations do now and provide bonuses and other incentives to lure physicians to the jobs in their state. If you feel that this is the need, why not submit a proposal to your congressman with your cost analysis breakdown. :rolleyes:

Your tone sucks, by the way. Instead of backhanding my post with flat denials and what have you, try engaging in a personable type of conversation. I wouldn't normally reply to someone like you, but since you asked about something that can help prove my larger point, I felt obliged.

Yawn. That comes off great from the person who just moved on to personal attacks. :laugh:

Waaa? I'm agreeing with you. Go get a lawyer and sue them instead of standing in a corner and whining about it. Adcoms like action: not inaction.

Good luck on being a doctor by the way.

I was agreeing with you.

Discrimination isn't a term you lightly throw around. I was clarifying it before arguments started.

What's wrong with you?

It's not necessarily going to be in a state's best interest to build their own medical school, especially if they can contract with other schools to ensure room for applicants for their state. There are significant cost factors at every level. It might be more prudent to do what these locations do now and provide bonuses and other incentives to lure physicians to the jobs in their state. If you feel that this is the need, why not submit a proposal to your congressman with your cost analysis breakdown. :rolleyes:

Yawn. That comes off great from the person who just moved on to personal attacks. :laugh:

I think that you should behave online how you'd behave in person. We're all adults, here.

Saying that you should behave a bit more civilized isn't a personal attack. Especially when it's the truth.

I was agreeing with you.

Discrimination isn't a term you lightly throw around. I was clarifying it before arguments started.

What's wrong with you?

My apologies; I didn't read your prior post, because, well, it was boring and too long. You were boring me.

Did my sarcasm not come out? How was your MCAT verbal score?

This forum doesn't need someone like you throwing around personal insults and making derogatory remarks toward other members.

You should consider behaving a bit more maturely before you're banned. I've seen it happen here many times.

I think that you should behave online how you'd behave in person. We're all adults, here.

Saying that you should behave a bit more civilized isn't a personal attack. Especially when it's the truth.

I believe your internet comprehension might need some adjustments... going back I am still confused on how you moved down that pathway.... Perhaps you should try reading between the lines a lot less.

Although I agree, this is just your opinion and people, fortunately or unfortunately, can do whatever they want.

I believe your internet comprehension might need some adjustments... going back I am still confused on how you moved down that pathway.... Perhaps you should try reading between the lines a lot less.

You have to be on the offensive before you're on the defensive, around here.

Just look at what happened with kdavidlee, above.

Before you know it, people start arguing and insulting others.

The best defense is a good offense.

This forum doesn't need someone like you throwing around personal insults and making derogatory remarks toward other members.

You should consider behaving a bit more maturely before you're banned. I've seen it happen here many times.

You're absolutely right: my apologies. I take back my derogatory remarks. Please, i don't want to be banned from this site. I mean, that would just suck.

By the way, what Med Schools are u applying to? Bc i'm from CA too and I want to make sure that's we're classmates. See ya ClassMate!

You have to be on the offensive before you're on the defensive, around here.

Just look at what happened with kdavidlee, above.

Before you know it, people start arguing and insulting others.

The best defense is a good offense.

haha, I get it now. You're insane. I'm just messing with you, and you had to bring up philosophy.

You're absolutely right: my apologies. I take back my derogatory remarks. Please, i don't want to be banned from this site. I mean, that would just suck.

By the way, what Med Schools are u applying to? Bc i'm from CA too and I want to make sure that's we're classmates. See ya ClassMate!

All of them. If we are classmates, I'll make sure to take your lunch money everyday before school starts. :laugh:

All of them. If we are classmates, I'll make sure to take your lunch money everyday before school starts. :laugh:

23844076.jpg

Well played. This thread was talking about change in rankings, and few guys decided to change the subject and start a fight. :confused: And why are most arguments started by premeds? Makes me a feel bit bad. :(

Well played. This thread was talking about change in rankings, and few guys decided to change the subject and start a fight. :confused: And why are most arguments started by premeds? Makes me a feel bit bad. :(

They're volatile subjects, because, in a nutshell, people aren't getting admitted to med schools in their respective states.

For those of us in those states, we get to look up to these supposed "rankings" as if they're some crown jewel of respect and entitlement, when they're nearly unattainable for 99% of the premed community, but in many cases, comprise the majority of our options for in state admissions.

Take me, for instance. I get free tuition at public California universities because of veteran's benefits, and not in any other state. I could potentially save hundreds of thousands of dollars by attending a University of California medical school.

Instead, I get to run the rat race with everyone else in this state, and if I don't get in, face going into debt for an SMP, or going somewhere else.

It doesn't help that I go to UCLA, and this place is swamped with premeds. I interviewed for a position on a VOLUNTEER team at the local hospital, called the "Stroke Force," which is a few clicks below -- in terms of difficulty -- anything I've ever done in the hospital, and guess what? There were 200 people applying for 4 spots.

These rankings make me mad, truth be told. Sure, the schools are good and the education is second to none, but in many instances, these schools aren't helping California residents get MDs who actually want to practice here. I'd like to practice in Northern California, eventually, and work with native hispanic populations. Do you think that matters when you're applying to UCSF?

It's a rat race.

I'm not sure how the high ranking of UC's is a disadvantage to Cali residents in itself. The only UC that has >10 matriculants consistently is UCSF. All of them overwhelmingly still cater to Cali residents. The fact that they are high ranking only makes them more competitive in the manner that they likely attract the most competitive Cali residents to apply and eventually attend them. This isn't really that different from medical schools in any other state, although there's probably a higher ratio of applicants:spots and the applicants possibly tend to be more competitive. All in all, how medical school admissions work in Cali isn't much different from the rest of the country.

They're volatile subjects, because, in a nutshell, people aren't getting admitted to med schools in their respective states.

For those of us in those states, we get to look up to these supposed "rankings" as if they're some crown jewel of respect and entitlement, when they're nearly unattainable for 99% of the premed community, but in many cases, comprise the majority of our options for in state admissions.

Take me, for instance. I get free tuition at public California universities because of veteran's benefits, and not in any other state. I could potentially save hundreds of thousands of dollars by attending a University of California medical school.

Instead, I get to run the rat race with everyone else in this state, and if I don't get in, face going into debt for an SMP, or going somewhere else.

It doesn't help that I go to UCLA, and this place is swamped with premeds. I interviewed for a position on a VOLUNTEER team at the local hospital, called the "Stroke Force," which is a few clicks below -- in terms of difficulty -- anything I've ever done in the hospital, and guess what? There were 200 people applying for 4 spots.

These rankings make me mad, truth be told. Sure, the schools are good and the education is second to none, but in many instances, these schools aren't helping California residents get MDs who actually want to practice here. I'd like to practice in Northern California, eventually, and work with native hispanic populations. Do you think that matters when you're applying to UCSF?

It's a rat race.

It matters if your interest is genuine and you can "back it up." Many applicants with otherwise weak apps are admitted to schools each year because they can do exactly this. Unfortunately the whole idea of "passion" and "genuine interest" gets diluted here to the point of not meaning anything.

Otherwise I agree with your post.

(sent from my phone)