ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everybody,
I am a Peruvian immigrant currently majoring in a typical science major..Physiological Science and minoring in spanish language. I kind of want to major in spanish language since this is the last time i will get to learn anything outside of medicine. If i make this switch, wiill i stand out more for medical schools, and not seem like the typical boring science premed?

Nov 20, 2009
Midwest
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a Spanish major right now, but I chose it because I love the language, I get to study a different culture, and I get to study abroad. I really wasn't even thinking about med school or how it will make me stand out. If you really love Spanish, then major in it. Just make sure you can do well in the science classes and can prove it on the MCAT. I hope that helps a little!

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Do not choose a major because you think it'll make you stand out. Choose a major on the basis of: if you like it, if your willing to do that if medical school becomes outside a possibility, if your able to get good grades in it.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello everybody,
I am a Peruvian immigrant currently majoring in a typical science major..Physiological Science and minoring in spanish language. I kind of want to major in spanish language since this is the last time i will get to learn anything outside of medicine. If i make this switch, wiill i stand out more for medical schools, and not seem like the typical boring science premed?
Ur experiences/accomplishments distinguish you NOT ur choice of a major.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i don't think choosing any major other science will make you stand out unless you have lots of extracurriculars related to it that really show your passion for the subject. i mean lots of people with majors outside of science for example like the political science join related clubs and end up going to conferences across the country doing research to publish a thesis. so what exactly do you plan to do with your Spanish major?

i remember this one guy who posted not too long ago who double majored in chemistry and french literature. you know what he did? he did a chemistry research internship in France! I mean just finding ways to combine his two majors into something meaningful just screamed amazing to me.

Ischemic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You're changing your major to Spanish to be more unique? Really... a big chunk of the US population are spanish speaking. If you want to switch to spanish please let it because it's going to be helpful and useful when communicating with your spanish speaking patients not because you want to be unique cause it's not going to make you unique in the eyes of the adcom.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sure, why not? It's only an extra year of studies. However, if you are bad at essays, the humanities, or book-based research, don't take the major. A lot of it would probably have to do with history, culture, and ethnic research.

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Although I'm about as white as copy paper, I am also a Spanish major along with Biology. I did it easily in 4 years with some summer classes. If you are a native speaker you should test out of several lower level classes.

I chose Spanish because I really enjoy it and see it as something useful. That said, the major is very different from what I envisioned. 2-4 year Spanish is all stupid literature classes. Think Shakespeare, but in Spanish. Speaking and learning another language is great, don't get me wrong, and I've learned plenty about Spanish, but I just can't bring myself to give a ^#$* about what Miguel de Cervantes wrote several hundred years ago.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status
Resident [Any Field]
God I hope you're more well-rounded because of Miguel de Cervantes.

boaz

shanah alef
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2007
bachelor pad
Status
Medical Student
Don't you already speak Spanish? I mean, if the adcoms see you're Peruvian they'll wonder if you chose your major because it's easy for you.

organdonor

7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
God I hope you're more well-rounded because of Miguel de Cervantes.
I saw the Wishbone episode of Don Quijote, thats about all I need to know lol

No really he was the only author I could think of off the top of my head. I will admit that he has had a pretty significant impact on literature on general and Spanish peninsular literature especially.

Now that I am home and can take a look at my bookshelf, I can clarify my answer.

I can't bring myself to give a (*^$ what Vicente Blasco Ibanez, Alfonso Sastre, Benito Perez Galdos, o Pedro Antonio de Alarcon wrote. And I've got more. Great goodness I've got more.

Like I stated, I never thought a Spanish major had such a large literature component. I guess in retrospect it makes sense. Just think about what an English major consists of. It doesn't just teach you to speak Engrish:idea:

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
Hello everybody,

Don't bother. By posting this post, you have already defined yourself as quite ordinary -- just like everybody else. :smuggrin:

(No... your major doesn't matter....)