Change my school list a little?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DISCOSTEW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a recent grad applying this coming cycle with a 3.65 cumulative 3.55 science and 36P MCAT score. I am a northern california resident.

I was a D-1 baseball player for 4 years with a leadership role. I also had leadership representing the athletes of the university as a whole in 3 of those years. I coached/volunteered at baseball camps, gave pitching/hitting lessons, during the fours years. I worked for the student athlete tutoring center for four years. I have 300+ hours in ER, Surgery, and SNF settings. Shadowed CTC and Primary Care doc. Currently I work as a scribe for Scribe America and have been doing that for about a year.

I do have some non clinical volunteering, not a crazy amount. Much of it was through athletics during my four years at the university.

I have 2.5 years of genetics research non-clinical

I just got my MCAT score yesterday and had made my school list thinking I would get a much lower MCAT score. I was wondering if I should add some higher tier schools or just leave as is? I want to get into anywhere of course.

USC Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSF
GWU
George town?
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
UIC
Tulane
Tufts
St Louis
Creighton
Albany
Einstein
NYMC
Duke
Wake Forest
Toledo
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn st
Temple
vermont
VCU
Col of Wisconsin
Virginia T"ech

DO: Western, Touro, ATSUs

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few schools that are on the bubble like Ohio State, Boston U, Cornell, Vandy, Brown, U Mich. Are there any other NY schools I might have a shot at?

Excellent shot for MD. As for Ney York schools, I would consider adding
-Albany medical college
New York Medical college
mt sinai (you gpa is a little on the low side for mssm, butyour mcat seems to balance that a little)

I would also think about putting Albert Einstein Yeshiva and columbia as well. Do not consider the SUNYs because they do not consider very many OOS applicants. I would also apply to Boston University because they like OOS applicants...

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! The tough part is taking schools off the list and replacing them. I used the MSAR, but with these listed schools am I missing anything in regards to preferences? I don't want to waste applying somewhere I will have no chance.

So far I have added added BU

As for my bubble schools, any recommendations?

Here's the updated list:
30 total

USC Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSF
GWU
George town?
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
UIC
Ohio State
Tufts
St Louis
Creighton
Albany
Albert Einstein
NYMC
Duke
Wake Forest
Cornell
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn st
Temple
vermont
VCU
U Mich
Virginia T"ech
Boston U
Emory

Schools on the bubble:
case Western
Rush
Toledo
Dartmouth
Med colWisconsin
Vanderbilt
oregon
east virginia
Columbia
Brown
Mt sanai
NYU

Not for nothing, dude, but BU doesn't 'like' OOS applicants, it's a PRIVATE school;
state affiliation is not important.
BU also recieves 12,000 apps per year, so I'd avoid it, since you'd probably be screened out in the numbers game. Same for GW/GU.

And the SUNYs are pretty friendly to OOS applicants like you, actually. EVMS is also OK for OOS folk.

The MSSM/Cornell/Columbia's of the world have higher average GPAs, than yours, so you could probably bet your admissions fees on a more likely school. You have a pretty broad list of schools. You seem to be all over the place geographically, are there any regions you'd like to be in?

I would take out Rosalind Franklin and replace it with Rush. Rush is a better school than RF and you have great chances of getting in. They skew slightly towards in-state but it's a private school so they do accept a good amount of OOS applicants. Especially since you're thinking of applying to UIC - btw, HEFTY price tag for OOS (70+k tuition alone). If money's no object, then I guess that won't be an issue, lol.

I thought the SUNYs were not OOS friendly?

Yeah I think I'll apply to only one of the Ivy's
I'm leaning towards Cornell or Columbia

I just want to get in somewhere honestly. I am the type of person to just get up and settle anywhere. But I do love the south east area. I lived in NC for a summer. I loved the Virginia and South Carolina too. I would love to go to Duke or Wake Forest if Cali wasn't an option

Jusrt for the record, SUNYs are NOT OOS friendly medical schools. If you want to be liberal towards my statement , you can say that they have regional bias against certain areas. If you are a new Jersey resident, I would advise you to go ahead and apply vs being a Texas resident.

I think this is close to my final 30. I definitely took UIC off of the list because of the OOS tuition. *crossing fingers*

Would I be better off applying to Brown than BU?

USC Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSF
Toledo
Medical College of Wisconson
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Case Western
Ohio State
Tufts
St Louis
Creighton
Albany
Einstein
NYMC
Duke
Wake Forest
Rush
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn st
Temple
vermont
VCU
U Mich
Virginia Tech
Boston U
Emory

hey guys I didn't want to make a new thread, but wanted some advice on 3 schools. I have one more slot for a school on my list, based on my stats, which do you think I should apply?

Drexel. U Michigan. Brown.

I know Michigan is a reach with the GPA, my MCAT is right around the MSAR data, but I think I would like Ann Arbor.

I know Drexel gets a ton of apps, but should I apply anyway?

Brown is a little closer to my stats, but how selective are they?

Thanks!

The general idea I keep hearing about Brown is that they're not OOS friendly so check on that.

Well i have the 2011-12 MSAR and they interviewed 229 non-res vs 17 resident, 86 and 8 respectively matriculated. That seems pretty OOS friendly?

Well i have the 2011-12 MSAR and they interviewed 229 non-res vs 17 resident, 86 and 8 respectively matriculated. That seems pretty OOS friendly?

I think that's because rhode island is a small state..
also, don't they have a bunch of students that feed into the med school directly from undergrad/med programs and post bacc? They may take up a good chunk of the spots.

Personally, of those three, I'd go with Michigan and gamble on the numbers. But that may just be because I'm a michigan fan...

With your stats, I think you'll do well in this cycle regardless. :luck:

Yeah you're right. of the 89 they took about 40something Bachelor/MD program applicants. Thanks for the input!