Change of Major from Bio to Economics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedDevil202013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I need your advice on what I should do with my Major. I just finished my Sophomore Year in Undergrad and currently majoring in Biology. To be honest, I am tired of the bio courses because they are not fun at all and they seem tedious especially the way they're taught at my University. I love Problem Solving classes (Such as Chem, Orgo, Physics, Econ, Etc.) And I tend to get A's in them. I haven't gotten a single A in Bio yet and still have to take around 6 classes for my major. So Do you think that It will be a good idea to switch to econ and finish the rest of my Pre-reqs? I am way more interested in economics field ever since High school where I tried to take as many Econ courses as possible. Also, would econ be a good fallback major if the dentistry route does not work?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your major doesn't matter. Take the pre-reqs and do well in them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are those biology classes that you took introduction courses? Intro bio tend to contain lots of info to be memorized, but as you advance to higher biology classes, they're get easier. I think intro courses are used to weed our people who can't handle biology.

If you need a Plan B, your plan A wasn't executed properly.

Don't view being an Econ major as a backup plan. View it is something you love to do, and love learning about. You can still major in Econ and take all the dental school pre-reqs, graduating on time. It'll make you an interesting applicant and demonstrate that you're someone who learns for the sake of learning rather than expediency.

Go for it. Best of luck brotha.
I do love economics, I went out of my way in high school to take as many as possible. I was thinking about a Plan B because of the horror stories that I've heard about job prospects with a Bio degree. I should Just make the leap of faith into econ then! Thanks for the reply!

Major in anything you want, but keep in mind there will always be that one tedious class in any department.

Switching over to economics as a third year also means you will have to pick up on the economics pre-reqs, which will give you a heavier workload and may require you to take up additional time before you graduate.
Good thing that I took some courses in econ as my general education classes which will transfer to the econ major. And regarding time, If I have to wait an extra semester to graduate while studying something I like then I would totally do that.

Are those biology classes that you took introduction courses? Intro bio tend to contain lots of info to be memorized, but as you advance to higher biology classes, they're get easier. I think intro courses are used to weed our people who can't handle biology.
Sadly they are not. Only one of them Is and the other 2 are both advanced (Cell Biology and Life diversity). I do not like the curriculum at all. I was in the same mindset of waiting an extra and see how the rest of classes turn out. Not well since The highest I've gotten in bio courses is a B+

Sadly they are not. Only one of them Is and the other 2 are both advanced (Cell Biology and Life diversity). I do not like the curriculum at all. I was in the same mindset of waiting an extra and see how the rest of classes turn out. Not well since The highest I've gotten in bio courses is a B+
I wish I would've majored in Economics. It'll give you a leg up when starting your practice and if something happens randomly where you can't become a dentist it is an excellent field to go into.

Do you mind sharing your current sGPA/oGPA? Having a B+ in biology classes aren't necessary a bad thing.

Do you mind sharing your current sGPA/oGPA? Having a B+ in biology classes aren't necessary a bad thing.
My sGPA is around 3.7 and oGPA is about 3.86. The only reason my sGPA is solid is because I've done well in my Chem, physics and Math classes.

I wish I would've majored in Economics. It'll give you a leg up when starting your practice and if something happens randomly where you can't become a dentist it is an excellent field to go into.
Not only that but just the field itself is so fascinating to me, you can pretty much explore any field through economics

My sGPA is around 3.7 and oGPA is about 3.86. The only reason my sGPA is solid is because I've done well in my Chem, physics and Math classes.

Your current standing is pretty solid Red Devil. Changing to Econ would push you back how many more semesters?
As I read from other posts, dental school involves a lot of memorization. I don't think you should change your major. Instead, focus on doing well next year so you can apply in 2017 summer. Having a good GPA as Eco major is one thing as an undergrad. But getting in dental school and not doing well because you don't have a good strategies of handling large load of science classes wouldn't help you much. I, personally, would stick to biology. But consults with others on the forum.

Best of luck. You can do it!

Not only that but just the field itself is so fascinating to me, you can pretty much explore any field through economics
I would switch. The only good from majoring in biology is that you have more exposure to science classes. If you're smart and can memorize well, it doesn't matter. So you may as well major in something you enjoy AND something that is beneficial to know. Being an economics major would help you stand out.