Change of undergrad major?? or postbacc?? Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han9717

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!

Okay so I'm economically disadvantaged. I was a nursing major for 1 1/2 years and don't enjoy the curriculum. I changed my major to biochemistry and transferred to the main campus of my school for my junior year. My grandmother found out she had cancer my fall semester of junior year and I was also having a bad time transitioning. I received 2 Fs (micro and biochem) this semester and had to Late Drop Ochem 1. I'm retaking these courses now and am going to receive As in the micro and biochem and B in Ochem. I plan to put in the effort to make As throughout the rest of my time in school.

My advisor is pushing the regular science major because a lot of my nursing credits transfer and I would graduate on time. (SPRING 2019) I'm sitting at a 3.3 GPA right now and if I make As the last year I would end with probably around a 3.42? Even then, I don't know if I could pack the clinical hours into just one year and I won't be ready to take the MCAT a year earlier than expected. I was looking into 2 year post-bacc programs but I just feel I'm more at a disadvantage because I don't have much time to get the experience I need in the 1 year undergrad. No research experience because I would only have 2 semesters left and the deadline has passed for fall 2018.. I mean I could try for the last semester of spring 2019 but they usually like 3 or more semesters to apply for it at my school.

My concern is that if I graduate on time I would still need my clinical hours and I won't have that opportunity for research. If I stick with the BMB major I would have to take Ochem 2 in the summer but I think that could be justified.. and I would have more credits to take and graduate FALL 2019 with a 3.5+ (hoping for a 3.6) GPA. I would prepare for the MCAT throughout and dedicate my spring 2020 to the test, while maybe getting more clinical experience and volunteer hours during this time. Then I was thinking I could apply to 1 year post bacc programs and then apply to med school in 2021.

So basically, does a 3.5 in BMB look much better than a 3.42 in Science?
and any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!! I'm leaning toward the BMB option because it gives me more time to prepare, and then I would also have the opportunity to research at my school and not worry about research afterwards. But.. my advisor is thinking otherwise.

Members don't see this ad.