Change to a Bio Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StrawHatDMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys.

I'm going to be a senior this upcoming fall. I am a premed currently majoring in a non science major. I wanted to know whether it would be worth it for me to change my major from my current non science major, Health Systems management, to bio.

My overall GPA as of now is a 3.2. My science gpa is a 2.74 (2.94 BCPM). I can complete a science major by the end of senior year. If I were to go this route, I can raise my science gpa to a 3.4ish by the time the cycle for applications begin.

Should I do it? My back up is podiatry school if med doesn't work out, but what do you guys think? Is it even possible for me to get into medical school with that science gpa? My overall gpa would even out to around that range as well (a 3.4).

Members don't see this ad.

At this point if medicine is really what you want, major in whatever will make your gpa the highest. I hate to be blunt, but I didn't take this advice, and now I regret it. Especially if you won't have many more opportunities to raise your BCPM with health systems management. A BCPM <3.0 just won't cut it

At this point if medicine is really what you want, major in whatever will make your gpa the highest. I hate to be blunt, but I didn't take this advice, and now I regret it. Especially if you won't have many more opportunities to raise your BCPM with health systems management. A BCPM <3.0 just won't cut it

Unless you want to go Carib, like I probably will... But I do agree with taking whatever will raise your sGPA the most. I'm in a similar boat, having started out in engineering and now in my junior year moving to Bio and International studies. My engineering years killed my sGPA so I had to add the Bio degree to start improving it. If I had kept a healthy sGPA from the get go, not the 2.9 I currently have, I would have just stick with my IS degree and a 3.4-3.5 cum. On a side note, do any courses overlap? If so, you could do both, rather than abandoning the degree you've been working on for 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you guys.

I'm going to be a senior this upcoming fall. I am a premed currently majoring in a non science major. I wanted to know whether it would be worth it for me to change my major from my current non science major, Health Systems management, to bio.

My overall GPA as of now is a 3.2. My science gpa is a 2.74 (2.94 BCPM). I can complete a science major by the end of senior year. If I were to go this route, I can raise my science gpa to a 3.4ish by the time the cycle for applications begin.

Should I do it? My back up is podiatry school if med doesn't work out, but what do you guys think? Is it even possible for me to get into medical school with that science gpa? My overall gpa would even out to around that range as well (a 3.4).

just get hip to the DO philosophy.

Grade replace that GPA up to like 3.5

You probably do it in 1 year.

That would be the easiest method.

If you're dead set on MD, why not take an extra year to take sciences and raise that GPA even higher?

That would be the easiest method.

If you're dead set on MD, why not take an extra year to take sciences and raise that GPA even higher?

Or he could do an SMP.

Lol, that's awesome. You just gave some hope, actually a lot of hope. Now another question. Will DO schools see that you have retaken Pre Med classes? And if so, will it affect your admissions decision?

And also, has anyone ever tried this and gotten into a DO school?

Sry, I have four important questions as of now. I'll list it out so that it is easier to read.
  1. Has anyone ever retaken premed classes and gotten into a DO school?
  2. Will DO schools see that you retook courses and if so, will it affect your admissions decision?
  3. How critical is the pre health committee when applying to DO schools? Will it make that big of a difference if I don't?
  4. Does it matter where I get my recommendation letter from with regards to science professors? In other words, would it at all hurt me if I were to recieve recommendation letters from a science professor at a community college?

The reason why I am asking these questions is because my potential plan is to retake premed courses at a community college if I can during the summer (if its not too late) and also during the school year. My major is really chill. I switched into this major because of that. And the fact that I've taken these premed classes before should make it that much easier to get As in. I want to apply next summer so that I don't waste time.

An alternate route I can take is to graduate with my HSM degree, then retake the premed classes at a community college the years 2013-2014, and apply the summer of 2014 for entrance in 2015. But I don't know if its worth it to do that.