• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

PhD/PsyD Changes in undergrad opportunities due to COVID-19: How will this affect admissions?

cattyditty

Feb 15, 2020
  1. Pre-Psychology
Hi everyone, I know the future is uncertain right now but I'm wondering if anyone can provide some input on two questions.

I'm a rising senior in undergrad looking to apply to clinical PhD (and maybe some PsyD) programs in the fall. My area of interest is primarily obsessive-compulsive and related disorders, which I have already conducted research on and it is also the client population I intend to focus on one day in research and practice.

Just as everyone else, my plans for the next few months have completely changed:

First, I was accepted to present posters of my independent research at MPA and APS this spring. I know I will be able to put "canceled presentation" on my CV, but I still worry about grad schools seeing this less favorably than if I were able to actually attend these regional and national conferences. It feels less legitimate I guess. Do you guys know if this will hurt me/others in this position in our applications, or will admissions be understanding of this circumstance?

Additionally, I was planning to spend two months interning for a child trauma clinic at a highly-regarded state university this summer. The clinical director is an alumnus of my college and often accepts undergrads from my college for a summer to come work for him. Given that this is sort of a closed internship that only has one or two students per summer, the clinical director is able to provide lots of hands-on experience, e.g. training in client intake, and allows the interns to assist in his clinical research (funded by the university's grants). Because of COVID-19, the clinic has switched to telehealth sessions and the university's IRB has put a hold on all research. It would no longer be worth it/practical for me to fly across the country and stay in an AirBnB for two months for this opportunity. I was relying on this internship for direct clinical experience, experience as a research assistant (as opposed to independent research, which I have already done), and hopefully a letter of recommendation from the clinical director attesting to my competence/work ethic in these areas.

Now that this has been canceled, I managed to apply last-minute to my college's summer research program, and was able to secure a small stipend for five weeks of remote independent research. I am going to be focusing this research on my area of interest (OCD), as I did with my previous study, to further show potential advisors my commitment to this topic, which I would not have been able to do with my internship plans. Still, this is an undergrad at a liberal arts college conducting independent research for a second time with no experience working for a big university in a research lab.

My second question is, then, how will this summer opportunity compare to the one I had previously planned? Is it better or worse to conduct an independent study on my area of interest than it is to work as an assistant to a researcher whose area of research (trauma in children) is not my intended graduate focus? And now without this clinical experience, should I do everything I can to secure some sort of experience in the fall (e.g. at a local psych hospital)? Does that portion even matter if I'm mostly applying to PhD programs?

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me your feedback! I really appreciate it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.