Changes on CII rxs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmchick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For controlled substances, the federal law states changes such as dosage strength, qty and directions can all be. The ONLY changes that cannot be made are patient's name, drug name, and prescriber's signature. Is this only for CIII-CV or does this rule apply to CIIs as well? I personally never see a community pharmacists making any changes to CII rxs.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that's for CIIs too.

The law also permits dispensing 90-day supplies of CIIs, but you never see that in practice either.

this is actually a point of contention to the point that DEA doesn't even have their answer straight. please refer to this informational FAQ: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/general.htm#rx-7

The law also permits dispensing 90-day supplies of CIIs, but you never see that in practice either.

wrong...sort of. per DEA "there are no express federal limits with respect to the quantities of drugs dispensed via a prescription." and for a "90 day supply" you still need 3 hard copies...which is kind of 90 day supply but i really don't consider that a 90 day supply, just getting 3 separate rx at a time.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/manuals/pharm2/pharm_content.htm#9

Members don't see this ad :)
per DEA "there are no express federal limits with respect to the quantities of drugs dispensed via a prescription."

Exactly. Hence, 90-day supplies of CIIs on one script are allowed by law. I had a question similar to this on the MPJE, and after checking with 5 pharmacists since the exam, I realized that they had all dispensed a 90-day supply of a CII at one point in their career.

It's not common practice by any means, and insurance companies will usually only allow 30 days at a time, but there is no law that states you can't do it.

Just something to keep in mind if this kind of question comes up.

I'm looking for a partner who lives in West side of Phoenix, AZ; If who want to study we can meet up and review. I schedule my test in Mid- August.
Feel free to email at [email protected].

Thanks.

I have a question on CIIs 90 days supply?
RX1= filled immediately (issue date:1/1/11) OR (issue date:1/1/11)
RX2= filled 30 days after issue (issue date:1/1/11) OR (issue date:2/1/11)
RX3=filled 60 days after issue (issue date:1/1/11) OR (issue date:3/1/11)
The issue date on those three RXs should be the same or 30 days later from the last RX issuance date? does the pharmacist need to keep them at the pharmacy or the patient keeps RX2 and 3? If the date of issue is the same on all three RXs there is a law said for controls you should present the RX within 30 days for dispense and after 30 days you need a new prescription for controlls.

just kinda confuse on that law! never really understand it and hope someone can explain that for me thanks alot guys.:laugh: good luck on all of your exams

The issue dates on all those prescriptions have to be 1/1/11 (the original date issued) However the doc must write on the script "Do not fill until 2/1/11" or "Do not fill until 3/1/11" etc. This is an important point that issue date on all those multiple rxs is the same!