Aug 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey guys,
I'm planning to follow sdn's 4-month mcat schedule, but I'll be switching some of the books.
The sdn2ed schedule is based on Berkeley and examcrackers books. However, I'll using
-Berkeley for bio
-Kaplan for general chemistry
-Organic chem as second language for organic chemistry
-Nova for physics

Will the schedule still work?

Oct 22, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Don't use TBR for biology, it's quite bad. The details are way overboard and it's really hard to read. TBR has really good General Chemistry and Physics. I heard good things about Nova, but I'm not sure about Kaplan Gen Chem. As long as you put in the hours and follow the SDN schedule I think you'll still be fine.

valkener

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
USA
Status
Medical Student
Why are you skipping EK? I'd pick that over Kaplan. EK has a ton of questions (1000+) on each questions and is generally concise compared to TBR.

Pose

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, you're choosing the one bad TBR book to use. And I really, really don't think Klein's book is a substitute for a full review book for organic chemistry. If you want to replace TBR, I'd go with TPRH or (to a lesser extent) EK. And I didn't care for Kaplan for GC either, but that's just a personal preference.

Nov 21, 2012
Status
How can you even compare your studying to SN2 when you're not using any of the same material? No, it won't work to be honest. TBR Bio for content is terrible. BS on the MCAT is almost entirely critical thinking at this point. The level of detail that TBR goes into for bio is a gigantic waste of time. EK is great for bio.

TBR can't be beat for Physics and Gen Chem though. It's solid for Ochem, but Ochem as a Second Language is a great book as well.

OP
G
Aug 4, 2013
Status
Thanks for the advice everyone!

petyr_baelish

5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2009
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I did the first O-Chem as a second language book before my actual Ochem I course. I find it very brief and not in depth at all. For the MCAT, is O-Chem as a Second Language really all you need?

Nov 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student, MD/PhD Student
If you want to replace TBR, I'd go with TPRH or EK. And I didn't care for Kaplan for GC either, but that's just a personal preference.thanks

Reactions: gonnamakeit13
OP
G
Aug 4, 2013
Status
I did the first O-Chem as a second language book before my actual Ochem I course. I find it very brief and not in depth at all. For the MCAT, is O-Chem as a Second Language really all you need?

No, the second language is not the only book I'm using ,I have supplemented it with TPR. I just didn't wanted to go through all the tedious details in the TBR, so dediced to go with sth else.However, I will be doing the passages from TBR and 1001 examcrackers.
The only thing different I will be doing from the schedule is using different books content review :)