changing a D.O. into an M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leonine

The WARRIOR
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok i have a simple question. Is it possible for a D.O. to do a residency or anything else to get the "M.D." title?

I was speaking to a D.O. and when the issue of D.O. & M.D. title came up he said that if someone was so hellbent on getting an M.D. behind his name he could get it. He gave the example of a dental student doing a residency in Oral maxillofacial surgery and said that OMFS residents get an additional MD degree after 6 years.

Is such a pathway a reality?

Members don't see this ad.

Leonine said:
ok i have a simple question. Is it possible for a D.O. to do a residency or anything else to get the "M.D." title?

I was speaking to a D.O. and when the issue of D.O. & M.D. title came up he said that if someone was so hellbent on getting an M.D. behind his name he could get it. He gave the example of a dental student doing a residency in Oral maxillofacial surgery and said that OMFS residents get an additional MD degree after 6 years.

Doing an allopathic residency won't convert your D.O. degree into an M.D. degree. There was a point in California's history where the state granted all D.O.'s an honorary M.D. degree in exchange for the state's D.O. school becoming an M.D. school. I'm not sure how California handles the licensure of D.O.s presently.

Truthfully, if you're that concerned about the two initials on your business card, the easiest thing for you to do would be not to apply to any Osteopathic Medical Schools and just try to get in to Allopathic ones.

Leonine said:

Is such a pathway a reality?

No. You cannot.

Why would you want to anyway?

It's like changing your B.A. in Biology into a B.S. in Biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
YOU GUYS DON'T ANSWER ANY MORE OF THESE QUESTIONS

JUST TELL THEM TO REFER TO AACOM.org and IF THEY HAVE MORE QUESTIONS TO CALL AOA.
:thumbdown:

guys guys relax, the inquiry is not out of malice or any thing else.

I just wanted to see if there was any credibility to what my conversation with the D.O. detailed. Its obvious that he doesnt know what he's talking about - so that was my initial concern.

No need to get defensive, it was an honest querry.

Leonine said:
guys guys relax, the inquiry is not out of malice or any thing else.

I just wanted to see if there was any credibility to what my conversation with the D.O. detailed. Its obvious that he doesnt know what he's talking about - so that was my initial concern.

No need to get defensive, it was an honest querry.

The DO was correct. As a dental graduate, you can get an MD if you enroll in a special program offered by the Mayo clinic: http://www.mayo.edu/mms/md-oms.html As you can imagine, this program is intensely competitive.

As far as DOs getting an MD, there's no point in that other than ego reasons. And like I've said in another post, a degree won't fix your ego problems any more than a fast car or a brand of beer will make you perform better in your love life.

Yes.

You have to ride a bike naked from CA to NJ with a sign hanging from your neck saying "Nate is awesome!" and then spin around to the left one full revolution, click your heals three times saying "there is no place like home" and finally bend down through your legs and kiss your own arse.

This is the information you get for the curriculum.

"The Medical Curriculum leading to the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree for individuals in the fourth year or residency program at an accredited Osteopathic Medical School has been designed to include extensive exposure in clinical sciences. Even though the curricula for both the Allopathic Medical Schools and Osteopathic Medical Schools are similar, it is our academic policy to synchronize or monitor our curriculum while the participant is fulfilling their fourth year or residency program at the Osteopathic Medical School. This of course would be done without interference with the Osteopathic Curriculum.
The duration of the program is twelve calendar months consisting of clinical rotations at the Osteopathic Medical School. During the clinical rotations, the students are expected to participate in On-Line Clinical Lecture Presentations (OLCLP) via our specialized website called Embanet. The On-Line Clinical Lecture Presentations (OLCLP) complement the learning experience of students during clerkships and are used to ensure that participants have every opportunity to become the best physicians possible. Information regarding the On-Line Clinical Lecture Presentations (OLCLP) may be accessed via our website @ http://www.uhsa..ag/online/.
"

there's got to be a place on the internet that could do it ;)

Nate said:
You have to ride a bike naked from CA to NJ with a sign hanging from your neck saying "Nate is awesome!" and then spin around to the left one full revolution, click your heals three times saying "there is no place like home" and finally bend down through your legs and kiss your own arse.

I tried that already, it doesn't work. But, man, the looks I'd get! :laugh:

docbill said:
YOU GUYS DON'T ANSWER ANY MORE OF THESE QUESTIONS

JUST TELL THEM TO REFER TO AACOM.org and IF THEY HAVE MORE QUESTIONS TO CALL AOA.
:thumbdown:

If you aren't interested in answering questions from people, then consider witholding your posts from this forum. Rude comments aimed toward the OP are inappropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
exmike said:
i think the OP would like a MD degree he can actually USE.

You can use the D.O. degree for anything an M.D. degree can be used for, and in fact it can be used in more areas.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you aren't interested in answering questions from people, then consider witholding your posts from this forum. Rude comments aimed toward the OP are inappropriate.

Thanks for the tip!

My intentions are to avoid another DO vs. MD thread.

But you are right, I could just not answer.

OSUdoc08 said:
You can use the D.O. degree for anything an M.D. degree can be used for, and in fact it can be used in more areas.
i was referring to the offshore MD for DO's. which doesnt make sense if you already have the DO.. but i digress.

Well, here's the deal.

Could you get an MD degree? No.

Could you get an MD title? Yes.

You can complete courses and you can be awarded an MD title. These insitutions are not governed by the AMA.

Where would this prove useful?
- business cards
- signs outside your office
- your own ego

Why would this be a BAD idea?

Well, when you want to start practicing medicine you will need to apply for privelages at hospitals. This requires a TON of paper work and quite often face-to-face interviews.

OK...so you go into an interview to be granted privelages at Community Hospital of Someplace. You are there with the medical director of the hospital and probably the head of the department under which you will be practicing.

They begin to look over your credentials, ask you about being sued, ask how you feel about residents and students, ask where you see yourself in 10 years, etc.

Then they say to you..."Hmm...I see you graduated from Whatever School Of Osteopathic Medicine and got your DO degree there in 2001...but then you got your MD degree from Some Island Offshore in 2002."

Now, one of two things will happen:

#1. You are being interview by a DO who will take this as an insult to his DO degree because you think its substandard

or

#2. You are being interview by an MD who will take this as an insult to his MD degree because you decided to go get yours for $500 and a few online courses

Either way you will look like an ass.

Like I said. It can be done. What will it get you? 2 more letters and a bunch of snickering once people found out how you did it.

And you know how that privelages interview will end? "Well, we just dont think you will be right for this hospital...but good luck other places, Doctor Doctor."

Also, in some states (CA and PA comes to mind), state regulations states that if you are licensed by the board of osteopathic medicine, you must identify yourself as a DO either by having DO after your name, or using the title "osteopathic physician" or "osteopathic physician and surgeon"

Now since this offshore MD is worthless in terms of getting licensure, you'll still need to use that DO degree.

I think in the state of Kansas (not sure of exact state), there was an appeals court ruling affirming a state medical board decision to prevent a local dentist (oral surgeon) from using the MD degree he got from this same offshore medical school since this is considered misrepresentation.

The lesson in all this: Once a DO, always a DO.

Edit: Addenum

The court case is State of Kansas, ex el State Board of Healing Arts v Steven L. Thomas
http://www.dentalwatch.org/reg/thomas.html
http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2004/10/18/prl21018.htm

And the Pennsylvania code
§ 25.212. Professional advertising.
(b) Advertising, letterhead, publications or transmissions shall designate or indicate the licensee’s school of medical practice by the term ‘‘D.O.,’’ ‘‘doctor of osteopathy,’’ ‘‘osteopathic physician’’ or ‘‘osteopathic physician and surgeon.’’

Authority
The provisions of this § 25.212 issued under section 16 of the Osteopathic Medical Practice Act (63 P.S. § 271.16); and section 902(b) of the Health Care Services Malpractice Act (40 P. S. § 1301.902(b)).

And the California code
§1685. Display of Name and Earned Degree.
(b) Any licensee of the Board shall designate himself by his earned degree “D.O.,” and/or the term “Osteopathic Physician and Surgeon,” and shall prominently display this designation on all printed materials employed in his practice relating to his licensed function as a physician and surgeon. A D.O. licensed by the Board shall not use the term “M.D.”

Authority cited: Osteopathic Act (Initiative Measure, Stats. 1923, p. xciii), Section 1; and Section 3600-1, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 2275, 2276, 2452 and 3600-2, Business and Professions Code.

A D.O. is a degree earned. So is a M.D. These are both different from a license to practice medicine. Either a D.O. or M.D. degree affords an individual a license to practice medicine. It's just that simple...

You can't "convert" a degree. I have a bachelors of arts in psychology. Can I "convert" it into a bachelors of science in psychology? No. I also have a masters degree in public health. Can I "convert" it into a masters degree in epidemiology. No. Why? They're similar degrees. I took many epidemiology classes for my MPH...I don't get it? Because public health as a discipline is distinct from epidemiology as a field. Osteopathic medicine is a distinct field from allopathic medicine though holder of either degree can apply for medical licensure. Get it?

JPHazelton said:
Well, here's the deal.

Could you get an MD degree? No.

Could you get an MD title? Yes.

You can complete courses and you can be awarded an MD title.
These insitutions are not governed by the AMA.

Where would this prove useful?
- business cards
- signs outside your office
- your own ego

Why would this be a BAD idea?

Well, when you want to start practicing medicine you will need to apply for privelages at hospitals. This requires a TON of paper work and quite often face-to-face interviews.

OK...so you go into an interview to be granted privelages at Community Hospital of Someplace. You are there with the medical director of the hospital and probably the head of the department under which you will be practicing.

They begin to look over your credentials, ask you about being sued, ask how you feel about residents and students, ask where you see yourself in 10 years, etc.

Then they say to you..."Hmm...I see you graduated from Whatever School Of Osteopathic Medicine and got your DO degree there in 2001...but then you got your MD degree from Some Island Offshore in 2002."

Now, one of two things will happen:

#1. You are being interview by a DO who will take this as an insult to his DO degree because you think its substandard

or

#2. You are being interview by an MD who will take this as an insult to his MD degree because you decided to go get yours for $500 and a few online courses

Either way you will look like an ass.

Like I said. It can be done. What will it get you? 2 more letters and a bunch of snickering once people found out how you did it.

And you know how that privelages interview will end? "Well, we just dont think you will be right for this hospital...but good luck other places, Doctor Doctor."

Are you kidding me? D.O. students take all of the courses at an M.D. school plus OMM. There are no unique courses at M.D. schools that D.O.'s don't take. Changing a D.O. to an M.D. would be "downgrading" your degree. You would have to forget a class---not add one.

OSUdoc, they have to at least make you take SOMETHING so it's not COMPLETELY buy your M.D. (even though it is).

JPHazelton, good post!

Bottom line: It would end up being an embarassment everywhere in the states. Nonetheless, I can potentially see its usefulness for international work. However, a country that won't accept a US D.O. probably won't accept a non-AMA accredited M.D.

Shinken said:
Buster Douglas! It's been a long time. Nice to have you back. What have you been up to?
not much, man... just tryin to get through this last semester of lectures and gear up for step I