Changing course. Help - what programs to look into? Steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectivegirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the board and have some questions. Ever since a tragedy happened in my family, I've been reevaluating my life and direction (sounds cliche, I know!). I'm interested in getting a doctorate in psychology. I have a BA in English from a respected university with a high GPA and awards. I was a research assistant for a psychology professor during my undergrad years, but that was just one semester :(. I almost double majored by adding psychology, but I didn't in the end for various reasons. I did take some psychology classes, and I became a research assistant briefly just to be in that world. I am on the cusp of getting my MFA. I know this is probably insanely silly, as I am 26 and perhaps am too old (or so I'm told) to change directions and get into a psychology program. But I thought I'd collect some information anyway. I'm interested in counseling psychology and am interested in private practice. Should I look into counseling Ph.D programs only, clinical, or maybe Psy.D? Aside from that stint in my undergrad days, I don't have research experience. And I'm guessing not having an undergrad degree in psychology will hurt me, too. And I'm weak in math, though strong in biology. I need advice on what my next steps should be if I pursue this. So far I've come up with:

-Take more psychology courses at a local university. Would a community college suffice...or would that impact my application negatively?
-Get research experience. Helps with application and perhaps in forming a relationship with a professor who could write a letter of recommendation. But is this even possible as someone who has a degree in English? How does one even get research experience?

What programs should I look into? I'm interested in staying in CA. Or is this a ridiculous long shot that it's silly even for trying? :) Thanks for any advice. I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

26 is definatley not too old. Lots of people start med school in their early 30s - and that is, theoretically, a longer path.

Undergrad degree in psych. wont matter much for ph.d. programs - the most important thing will be having research experience that matches up with a faculty member at the site you apply to. I'd recommend actually voluntering for a faculty member in a clinical/counseling program for a year, getting a good rep with him/her, then applying to work with him/her via a formal application to the program - a lot of people get their foot in the door this way. Second to this, working in a productive lab that isn't attached to a clinical/counseling program. I don't think there is a need to take any psych. classes really, but it wont hurt unless you do poorly in them. In order of importance, I would say Research Match, GRE scores, and Letters/GPA.

You can always go the Psy.D. route, but you will likely be paying (100k+) for it. Again, there is always the professional schools (argosy et al) in which you could easily get accepted tomorrow - but the reputation among people (well, those who didn't attend these programs) in the field isnt that great (but your clients wouldn't know/care)

Programs in CA (other than the prof/non-university schools) are insanely competitive - Cal, UCSB, UCSD/SDSU joint, UCLA. So it would bode well to be open to other areas (as someone who moved from san diego to virginia, there is life outside of CA - and nice life too!)

If your interest is in private practice then there are better alternatives to either a PhD or PsyD. A masters in counseling, or counseling or clinical psych, or a social work masters will let you do nearly as much, for nearly as much pay, with much less time/money invested. I would not do a PhD myself if I were interested mostly in clinical work.

26 is by far not at all old to start graduate training.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your interest is in private practice then there are better alternatives to either a PhD or PsyD. A masters in counseling, or counseling or clinical psych, or a social work masters will let you do nearly as much, for nearly as much pay, with much less time/money invested. I would not do a PhD myself if I were interested mostly in clinical work.

26 is by far not at all old to start graduate training.

Agreed on both points.

Frankly, having experience in other areas/life I see as a positive thing. I took a few years in another sector before going back, and I found it incredibly helpful.

I would echo what others have said--you are by no means too old to apply. Research experience is the most important thing to get before applying, you could volunteer or find a paid position. Though having a Bachelors in Psychology is not necessary, many universities require you to have taken certain psych courses (like stats, research methods, abnormal, etc.) There may be some flexibility with these requirements, though.