Changing D.C. to D.O. I want your advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiromed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering switching to Osteopathy.

Now that my options are changing I would like any and all advice on how to make this transition. Should I stay in Chiro school and get my DC/BS from a "professional school" OR go back to a University to complete my undergrad? Does it matter?

Currently, I am a first year student at Parker Chiropractic College. I do not have an undergrad degree although I did have all my premed as well as over 90 hours prior to entering Parker. I chose not to finish my undergrad because Parker offers a dual BS/DC degree. Another strike may also be that my undergrad hours are Comm. College/Jr. College.

Parker basic sciences are all taught by Phd, DDS, DVM or MD instructors. My dilemma arises from the fact that Parkers' program is accelerated and I can finish my DC/BS in about the same time it takes to finish a BS at a University (given I'll lose some hours due to transfer).

I would love to hear that D.O. schools would appreciate the fact that I am pulling 25-32 credit hours now but I'm not sure if most schools really accept that basic sciences are roughly equivalent in most "Doctor" level programs. Chiropractic schools get a bad rap.

Also I'm 30. To me that's irrelevant but after reading some postings here it seems that anyone over mid-twenties should be put to pasture.

So, basically what's a 30 year old, first year chiropractic student (with less than a stellar undergraduate record), non-healtcare related professional career changer to do to get in D.O. school? (Bribery is not out of the question...)

Comments welcome on "easier" schools to get accepted to, also specifically TCOM (which is in my area and I don't consider this one easy).

Thanks for your valued advice and would love to hear from others with similar backgrounds.

[email protected] (feel free to email direct)

!!!I am taking Grad level courses in chiro school...Embryo,Hist,Cell,Systemic,Gross,Micro,Physio,Biochem,Neuro,Radiology...etc.

Undergrad stuff was required just like Med/DO school, just no MCAT and BS req'd. Specifics are GPA around 3.0 Science and Overall...But that's including the same first year stuff you guy's are taking. In fact TCOM's program is very similar to the one i'm in except trade OMT for Chiro Adjusting.

So in clarifying, how would a 3-3.4 GPA look if the classes were at this level & coarse load v.s. just taking a University based undergrad BS program? Would it make a difference considering it's almost identical to the basic science program in your average D.O. school.

I know that when I get into DO school I'll end up repeating the same coarses I'm taking now but that's ok I need the practice. I hope this information helps.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by chiromed (edited 01-25-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

First, the age thing is no big deal. I entered at 31 and am almost 32 now. That is really not an issue. Your undergrad record may be a bigger factor. I can't comment because the information you gave was vague. Finally, no, undergrad basic sciences don't equate in any way the the course taken in med school. Their good for background, but not near the level.

Not much else I can say without more info. Good luck.

Tough call. The best thing would be for you to call some DO schools that you are interested in and ask about the Palmer BS vs a university BS- who knows, they may take it. Also,in my experience being a DC was a positive thing during the interview.

Don't worry about the age. I started DO school at 31 after being a DC for 4 years. There are 5 people older than me in my class.

Personally, I would stop DC school after that 1st year, because unless you are rich you will run up a MASSIVE loan debt between the 2 schools- likely over 200K. In fact, the cost was the biggest barrier preventing my like-minded classmates from doing the same. You probably will need to finish a BS degree, especially if most of your classes were at community college, and the university should be a decent one. Again, I'm not sure how a DO school would view a Palmer BS- I hope it has the normal accreditation.

One of the most important things will be to kick butt on the MCAT. "The great equalizer." Over 30 I would think, to make up for the CC grades.

Hope this helps. It's just my opinion, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
stick to the game plan..stay where you are at and finish..admissions committees do not like to see a lot of upheaval on an app--finsish what you started and get the degree..

in the meanwhile, call around the schools in which you are interested and ask the admissions offices for their opinions--what courses do you still need to complete your application, etc.

your age is not a factor..i know folks way older who probably should be put out to pasture but are still banging away at this degree..

hang in there, don't stress, just take a logical look at what you need to do and you'll make it..actually chiro to do transition, from what i understand, is relatively easy cuz you already know a lot of the OMT and are comfortable with it..

good luck

You are ging to be receiving conflicting advice, so take everything with a grain of salt. Osteopathic colleges will probably not validate any of coursework from chiropractic school, so transferring credits is probably out of the question. A B.A. is absolutely required, with strong grades and MCATs, so, do well on those. Talk to admissions counsellors of osteopathic medical schools. The newer schools are probably a bit easier to get into, only because they are not as popular yet (PIkeville, San Francsico, Arizona), but, don't quote me. If you do not want to practice Chiropractic, get out and re-strategize. Otherwise, it is going to get expensive. You are correct when you say that chiropractors are not well looked upon. Also, you say you want to switch to osteopathy. Consider your decision carefully. Osteopathic medicine is medical school, followed by residency and specialization, just like MD, with the addition of OMM. Very different from chiropractic, where manipulation is exclusively learned. Osteopathic medicine and chiropractic are more different than similar. MDs and DOs are more similar than different. Good luck!
DrP
Third year medical student
New York Istitute of Technology
College of Osteopathic Medicine

Where's all this confusion coming from? Clearly you do not want to be a chiropractor. You say you want to be an osteopath. Why are you going to chiropractic college? You appear to be at the wrong school. So what's the problem? Decide what you want to be and get off the pot.

Successful DC dropouts unto MD schools that I have seen have done it because they felt the DC profession was less than scientific and even a bit "hokey." Letters of rec from docs need to expressly state this, and that it was really only discovered by you after "an up and close inside look at the profession that can only come from being in a DC school." Whether this will work with DO schools--I am uncertain. Likely, you can feel free to drop out of DC school w/o ramification IF, and only IF, you place the proper spin on why you did so. But what if you are not accepted to DO school and are then not even a DC? But even this may be alright with you....

i disagree w/ the above post. why continue w/ DC school if you don't want to do it anymore? you will only accumulate more debt and lose years where you could be on your way to becoming a DO. you should not worry about academic instability as being a part of your track record in front of the admissions committees, as long as you have valid and legitimate reasons for wanting to change careers from DC to DO. people here may post "admissions committees like this, admissions committees don't like that, etc" but remember, these people are not on the committees. if you are genuine in your efforts to change careers and feel strongly about going into osteopathy, then any committee will recognize your desire and competency in being able to go through their program. go for what you want and go w/ full force!

I still disagree with the "finish DC school first" opinion. It's easy for other posters to say that when they're not going over 200K in debt. If you don't want to be a DC get out. If you need to do something to make up for your undergrad grades then finish your BS and maybe even get a MS in something applicable. If you go to a state school it will be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Also, explaining your change by saying "I realized I wanted to go into medicine so I did everything possible to get there" is a pretty good reason, especially with all the trouble you'll go through to get there. Don't say "I changed because it's unscientific." Badmouthing is not the way to impress interviewers.