Changing diaphragms on the Welch Allyn Harvey DLX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ok this will probably sound like a stupid question, but how do you change the diaphragms (from corrugated to flat or vice versa) on the WA Harvey DLX? There's no rubber rim like with the Harvey Elite/Littmann Cardio III's, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to take one out and put another one in. I was trying to be gentle with it so I don't break it.

Hopefully someone can help me out in this momentary lapse of cunning.

Members don't see this ad.

You just have to stretch it a bit, and it'll pop off just like the ones on the Littmanns. It's just made of a stiffer plastic.

You just have to stretch it a bit, and it'll pop off just like the ones on the Littmanns. It's just made of a stiffer plastic.

Ok, now I'm feeling even more clueless, because it sure seems like the DLX's rim is metal just like the rest of the chest piece . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually your OB/GYN can show you how to effectively change your diaphragm :laugh:

Usually your OB/GYN can show you how to effectively change your diaphragm :laugh:

I'd rather just get an IUD.

I mean . . . um . . . I'm a guy . . .

Haha, but seriously, anyone else care to offer some advice here on the stethoscopically challenged?

Ok, now I'm feeling even more clueless, because it sure seems like the DLX's rim is metal just like the rest of the chest piece . . .

I was thinking of the Elite, sorry. If it's a screw-off metal diaphragm retaining ring, it's just like the old Littmann Cardiology. Like dueist said, just twist it counter-clockwise to unscrew it. If it's anything like the old Littmanns, you'll probably have to twist pretty firmly. Use one of those rubber jar lid removers if you can't get a good grip.

That metal rim screws right off. Just grab the ribbed edge and turn to the left. The diaphragm will come right off once you remove the metal holder.

Guess I'll just need some sort of rubber jar opener like Kent mentioned. I had tried that, but had no luck (obviously the whole part of the chest piece unscrews, but I couldn't get just the rim to screw off).

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Ok I definitely can't get this off. Like I said, the "large" side of the chest piece (as opposed to the bell) screws off easily, but then taking THAT apart to get the diaphragm out seems impossible since you can get a perfectly fine grip on the ribbed edge, but where do you grab it to apply counter torque?? There's like nothing else to grab ahold of to twist off just the rim.

Try this...it might be a little tough to visualize.

Keep the diaphragm attachment on the stethoscope. If you're right-handed, hold the stethoscope head in your left hand with the bell facing your palm. Place your fingertips against the back side of the diaphragm attachment and press firmly in order to keep it from twisting off when you try to turn the retaining ring counter-clockwise (as viewed looking directly at the diaphragm itself) with your right hand. If that doesn't work, I dunno... :(

I finally just got it! (after a lot of elbow grease.....I bought it used so I guess the last guy who had it ended up tightening it way too much). It just took a long time to loosen it up enough I guess.

I definitely appreciate your help on such a seemingly trivial matter.