Changing Goals in Graduate School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anx73B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering how many of you have changed your goals / emphasis since starting graduate school (or since graduating from grad school). Specifically how often do people change focus from practice to research to teaching etc.? Also, how often do people change their research focus? I'm curious because I don't know what I want to do post-grad school. I've gotten into a good PhD program so that I have the most options. I like research, but am not obsessed with it and I don't really know what actually practicing or teaching is going to be like. So I'm wondering how many knew what they wanted to do going in and how many stuck with it.

Members don't see this ad.

My career objectives have remained the same (although private practice no longer seems to be the bastion i thought it was before being expose to the "real" clinical practice world). My research is still in the same area, under the same umbrella if you will, but I have worked on varying projects. It important to go into a Ph.D program focused in an area, but not "married" to any one track or idea IMO.

My career objectives have remained the same (although private practice no longer seems to be the bastion i thought it was before being expose to the "real" clinical practice world). My research is still in the same area, under the same umbrella if you will, but I have worked on varying projects. It important to go into a Ph.D program focused in an area, but not "married" to any one track or idea IMO.

Couldn't say this any better. Have a strong focus, but be willing to learn and write about several areas.