Changing last name after medical school possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mostly I just hope I don't marry anybody whose last name is Hooker or Ho or Butts or anything like that. I went to school with people with those exact last names, and it can't have been fun for them.

Those are awesome last names, but then again, I'm a guy, so of course I'd think that. Another awesome, and real, last name: Poon.

Carry on.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait...it gets that complex?! I've been wanting to change the spelling of my last name for a while. Not for marriage or anything, but just to make it more likely that other people will correctly pronounce it (although this has been getting better over the last few years). In fact, all I would be doing is adding one letter lol.

The other reason is just that it'd match more of my extended and even direct family members' spellings...for some bizarre reason my parents decided to change the spelling of my last name because it was the "new" spelling that was now acceptable...mostly this just resulted in about 80% of the people I meet mispronouncing it, and the extremely confusing fact that my dad doesn't have the same spelling of our last name, since he was too lazy to change his last name.

Might have to actually change my last name lol.

I changed my name, right after my internship year. My medical school diploma will always have my maiden name. It has never been a big deal. I need to send the state board my Marriage license. That is it.

I think that all women should be required by law to change their name after marriage from their father's name to their husband's name, to demonstrate the change in ownership.

I think that all women should be required by law to change their name after marriage from their father's name to their husband's name, to demonstrate the change in ownership.

:thumbdown:

My grandpa basically told my dad when he married my mom that she was now his property, and my grandpa didn't have to do anything for her anymore.