Changing Majors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROCKet_gurly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am currently a second year Biology major but the more I realize how the next 2 years are going to be spent I don't think I want to be in Biology anymore. I still want to do something science related. Lately I've become more interested in medicinal chemistry and pharmaceutical science. Has any of you went through or are going through a B.S.P.S program? Also, do you think it's kinda late to change my major? Just wondering.
Thanks!!
P.S: I'm more interested in the human body and how it functions, its systems and such...not animals and plants which is what my college offers the most in.

Members don't see this ad.

It's never too late to change. Do what interests you.

Check out the programs in your city for the info you need.A lot of colleges are phasing out the BS in Pharmacy.(I am not sure about the sub-programs of pharm ie medicinal chemistry,pharmaceutical science.) I know that there are still some out there but you have to do a search to find them.Head over to yahoo.com and click under "health" then "medicine" and you'll have a list to choose from.You might also want to look into biochemistry or chemistry.They may be more of what you are interested in and give you a chance to take your pre-reqs.
Good luck!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about bsps programs, but when I read your post, it reminded me of myself as a freshman because i didnt like all the plant and animal stuff that was being thrown at me; I preferred learning about people and how the body works. I changed from a bio to a physiology major when I was a sophomore and have loved it every since. Maybe it's something that you could look into and see if it'd interest you??

I would say change your major now. You still have plenty of time. And
you really want to major in a topic area that you find interesting.

And if the stars aren't on your side and you don't get into med school,
it sounds like your choice of your new major would help you in the job
searching market.

there are TOOOO many Biology majors anyway.;) ;) ;) ;)

Amy Beth ( 2002 Biology major graduate)

Thanks guys!! I've gotten more info about the BSPS program at my university and next semester I'm going to get started in it. I'll be a little behind but I think I can play catch up in the summer. It sounds like just what I'm looking for!! It will be so much more interesting for me I think. Thanks again!!