changing program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neal

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i am currantly 1st yr resident in NY based community hospital. i just found out that there are 2 people leaving from my program. so next yr it is going to affect my schedule badly. i am not happy with my program anyway. but i have already signed the contract for next yr. is there anyway i can still quit and get in to a decent program?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by neal
hi,
i am currantly 1st yr resident in NY based community hospital. i just found out that there are 2 people leaving from my program. so next yr it is going to affect my schedule badly. i am not happy with my program anyway. but i have already signed the contract for next yr. is there anyway i can still quit and get in to a decent program?

the first thing to find out is what are your program's plans for replacing those 2 people. If they are replacing the 2, will it really have an impact on your schedule?

i don't know if your program has some type of advising system...if not you may want to discuss some of your feelings/concerns with your chief resident, or better yet program director.

as far as finding spots elsewhere, yeah you can find them...but probably not until after match day and the scramble. you also have to look at your contract and see what the lingo is about leaving early -- some places require you to give at least 30 days notice...others threaten with legal action...

good luck.
-ed
fp pgy3
nyc

hi,
thanks for reply.
my program director says that he is interviewing few people, but now i do not trust anyone in this program anymore. almost everything which i was told during interview is wrong. there is no teaching in my hospital, board passing rate is only 20%! i want to quit but have not yet started to look for another program. i do not want to end up in program even worse thsn this!

ouch...sounds miserable. again, it's never good to switch programs, but it's even worse to stay somewhere where you are absolutely unhappy and where the education (or lack of it) will have a negative impact on your future.

post match day will probably be the best time to strike. by that time, any current pgy1 who plans on leaving a program by way of matching somewhere else will have done so...and programs will be trying to fill pgy1 and any new future pgy2 spots. you can also just start to place a couple of calls to programs that you may be interested in. be prepared to fax your cv.

again, read your contract regarding how much notice you have to give (usually 30days) to your program once you decide to bite the bullet and leave.

good luck.

:confused:
thanks for ur reply, but my future year contract dose not state anything regarding leaving!!

hmmm...maybe it's hidden in all that crap that they give during hospital orientation? is there a house staff bylaws or anything like that? all programs are required to have written policies regarding this subject, so maybe you might have to ask your Prog Director... you don't want to get burned..

good luck.