Changing Programs in the middle of study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmonte4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question. If you are in a PhD program for say Social Psychology, can you switch to Clinical at the same school?

Has anyone done this or know someone who has? Is it even allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

mmonte4 said:
I have a quick question. If you are in a PhD program for say Social Psychology, can you switch to Clinical at the same school?

Has anyone done this or know someone who has? Is it even allowed?

Typically, programs are "on to" students who are looking for a back door way into a clinical program, and therefore have policies to prohibit such transfers. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it would never happen, but it would have to be a very unique circumstance.

Further, let's say you are 2 years into a social psych degree, and switch into clinical... With the exception of having taken stats, you would essentially be entering the clinical program as a first year student. You would have to make up a lot of required coursework and practicum time. :thumbdown:

Some programs admit that it is theoretically possible. But my understanding is that it is very difficult. If you search hard enough, or if you recall, there is always some discussion about this come application time, or come decision time. Invariably someone will want to know if it is a better idea to accept a more desireable school's offer for acceptance ot their general PhD program with the hope of transferring in to the clinical track at a later date vs. taking another clinical offer. In my opinion, based on limited expereince, this is a gamble that wouldn't be worth it. Although it is theoretically possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmmm....i wonder what the process would be to switch.

What is the process to switch mentors within clinical- I know that happens frequently?

At many programs you just ask to switch, assuming the other is willing to take you on/

Psyclops said:
At many programs you just ask to switch, assuming the other is willing to take you on/

At other programs this is not so easy - especially if your funding is coming directly off of your mentor's grant.

Very good point, also, it would be wise to take program politics into consideration before attempting a switch.