Changing schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all...

I was wondering what everyones opinion is on changing schools half-way through the completion of your undergrad coursework. I'm out here at Western Illinois and I love the school and the community but I know with my academic credentials I could enroll at U of I to complete my major in Molecular Biology + pre-medical studies. Obviously U of I is more prestigious university when it comes to the sciences. What sort of impact do you think this might have on my future med school application? I would be there for my junior and senior year...

Members don't see this ad.

I think if the only reason you are transferring is for prestige, then it probably won't be worth it. If you don't like your current school, then that's a more legit reason.

I don't think that University of Illinois is a big, prestigious enough university that you should think about transferring there based on name alone. Maybe if there are some opportunities there you are specifically interested in. But just on the name? I don't think Illinois is that big of a deal. Go to the school that will give you the best GPA and best preparation for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. I don't really want to leave here and the smaller college size makes it easier to be more interactive with all my instructors - giving me opportunities to ask to help them with projects they are involved with. I got U of I on my mind because of the advice of a few friends who do pre-med there who told me it would look way better to get a degree from there than where I currently am at...

Thanks for the input. I don't really want to leave here and the smaller college size makes it easier to be more interactive with all my instructors - giving me opportunities to ask to help them with projects they are involved with. I got U of I on my mind because of the advice of a few friends who do pre-med there who told me it would look way better to get a degree from there than where I currently am at...
Don't take their advice... this time. I wouldn't do it. You have too many connections at your current school and are settled in. Its not worth leaving. The name of your current school is not going to scuttle you in the application process.

Your friends are just full of themselves with false pride. If you like where you are at than you should stay. Name dropping is almost nothing in med admissions, and even if it was it's not like UI is a name like Harvard or anything. The difference is not nearly enough to offset the pain of transferring, especially if you are happy and prefer your own school. Your degree and your undergraduate institution is only what you make of it, and it's sounds like you like your school are making a lot where you are.

I agree w/ everyone else. As long as you're doing well there & have good connections w/ professors, etc for LOR's & opportunities for EC's, there's no reason to transfer now.