Changing Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djbluelive

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked through lots of threads and haven't found any posts that match my situation.

I am a sophomore in college with a SGPA of about 2.8 at Amherst College. Not really known for its science but it is known for churning out thinkers. I would say in large part the low GPA is due to complications in my family that make it so I am going home to Arizona every few weeks. I like the school but, the family complications are really keeping me from staying on track so I was thinking about transferring.

Does anyone know how it would be seen if I transferred to ASU and received a better GPA? I know that an upward trend is normally seen as a good thing but what if it is because I have changed schools? In my mind it could be read as me giving up on a more difficult program to achieve a better GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I have looked through lots of threads and haven't found any posts that match my situation.

I am a sophomore in college with a SGPA of about 2.8 at Amherst College. Not really known for its science but it is known for churning out thinkers. I would say in large part the low GPA is due to complications in my family that make it so I am going home to Arizona every few weeks. I like the school but, the family complications are really keeping me from staying on track so I was thinking about transferring.

Does anyone know how it would be seen if I transferred to ASU and received a better GPA? I know that an upward trend is normally seen as a good thing but what if it is because I have changed schools? In my mind it could be read as me giving up on a more difficult program to achieve a better GPA.

No one well care you transfer. Do whatever you can to bring your GPA up, 2.8 isn't serviceable from any college. If you were leaving an Ivy, I would pause to think about it. Amherst... don't worry about it.

If a 2.8 sGPA is as well as you can do at Amherst, then you need to transfer ASAP no matter what adcoms might think about it because if you don't transfer, you won't even get a second glance as an applicant (in fact, a lot of MD schools will probably just screen you out automatically).

What's your cGPA?