Changing specialties after prelim PGY-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rywalker84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
kk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be using your medical school letters for your second go-round in the Match. Letters should come from the program you are at now. Likewise, your pre-residency rotations won't be given much weight-- you're an IMG applying for a new specialty after a prelim year. It's common enough that the programs you'll be applying to will know what's going on.

Thanks for your reply. I was planning on submitting 2/3 LORs from an attending and PD at my current program and 1 from a rotation I did before based on advice given to me by other residents. Should all of them come from my current program?

Thanks for your reply. I was planning on submitting 2/3 LORs from an attending and PD at my current program and 1 from a rotation I did before based on advice given to me by other residents. Should all of them come from my current program?
If you a LOR from anesthesiology as a med student, use that. Otherwise, try to use all LORs from this year.