psychattending

Program Director
10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Saint Louis
Status
Attending Physician
Btw I already searched for this for about 2 hours yesterday without finding a good answer. I'm exploring a switch to psych because it would suit my interests much more. The problem is I have already burned several years of residency funding and also will most likely have to start as a PGY1 since I didn't do a medicine prelim or something like that (think former path resident, anesthesia with a surgery PGY1 year, OB/GYN, etc to get an idea of a similar situation).

I found a lot of info on people who have switched to psych with an acceptable PGY1 year but nothing on the situation of someone who probably will have to start all over as a PGY1 and also doesn't have a long time left of federal funds for this. I'm starting to wonder just how eager a psych program would be to take someone like me on with this funding issue. If anyone knows any examples of people who have successfully done this, I would like to hear it. Thanks.
Whether or not you have to repeat your PGY1 year depends on what kind of rotations you have done. Most Ob programs do a lot of internal medicine and sometimes. We were successfully able to get the ABPN to approve of an Ob/Gyn's first year so that she could start in our program as a PGY2. You might consider talking briefly with the ABPN to see what they would say.

If you have changed specialties more than once, you might have a greater problem getting a program to accept you because the program might be concerned that you will also not complete their program.

psychattending

Program Director
10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Saint Louis
Status
Attending Physician
As a major medical institution, we are already over our Medicare cap so we are already picking up the bill on some of our residents; so we are not really concerned with paying somebody's salary. Instead our issue is trying to keep our head count the same. Thus, if we had a resident who was leaving we could take somebody regardless of what he/she had previously done.

In general I would guess that the major academic centers rely less on Medicare for covering all their residents' salaries than smaller hospital based programs.