Changing to Pre-med...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAF_Dentman

Go!! Get to da choppa!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was pre-dental for quite some time, but realized that what i really wanted to do was have a more focused approach on the human body. Not that dentistry is a bad career, its just didnt seem the right thing for me.

So i have a few questions:

1. My problem is my GPA (i guess?) I currently have a 3.6 overall (neuroscience major) with a
3.9 science, due to crappy scores in literature and a foreign language class.
It doesnt seem like i'll be able to raise my overall GPA due to already having a lot of credits. Will adcoms look highly at a better sciGPA? (my new academic advisor says my overall GPA is too low, wtf?)

2. Is it okay to apply to both DO and MD programs, or wil this be looked down upon?

Members don't see this ad.

your advisor needs to get his/her head out of their ass - your GPA - both of them, are great. And applying to MD and DO schools at the same time is fine. I don't see why you'd apply to DO schools with those stats.

You're in good shape. Just start getting some clinical experiences and kill the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
JamesD said:
I was pre-dental for quite some time, but realized that what i really wanted to do was have a more focused approach on the human body. Not that dentistry is a bad career, its just didnt seem the right thing for me.

So i have a few questions:

1. My problem is my GPA (i guess?) I currently have a 3.6 overall (neuroscience major) with a
It doesnt seem like i'll be able to raise my overall GPA due to already having a lot of credits. Will adcoms look highly at a better sciGPA? (my new academic advisor says my overall GPA is too low, wtf?)

2. Is it okay to apply to both DO and MD programs, or wil this be looked down upon?

your science GPA is amazing. your overall GPA is great, too-- it is slightly lower than average for some schools, but considering your outstanding science GPA i really don't think that will matter. remember what an average IS, and that a significant number of people therefore get into any particular school with numbers lower than that school's average. (sorry, that might be obvious).

yes, you can apply to both DO and MD schools if that's what you want to do. i'd encourage you to look into the DO philosophy and apply if you really are interested in being a DO. if you want to apply to DO as a "backup", i don't think you need to do that, and you probably wouldn't be happy as a DO if your heart isn't in it in the first place.

good luck!

JamesD said:
I currently have a 3.6 overall (neuroscience major) with a

Your advisor is undoubtedly high.

Both your GPAs are fine and are certainly above the 3.5 average for matriculants. Rock the MCAT and you will most likely get into an allopathic school if not several.

PineappleGirl said:
Your advisor is undoubtedly high.

Both your GPAs are fine and are certainly above the 3.5 average for matriculants. Rock the MCAT and you will most likely get into an allopathic school if not several.

so you mean like 30+ on the MCAT?

Generally a 30+ MCAT score is good, but due to your supurb GPA i think you maybe be safe with a lower score. But then again it depends on where you want to go to med school!

Keep up the good work! :thumbup: