Chapman University in Orange County, CA is planning to open 3 year pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/index.aspx

They are planning to accept students by Fall 2015 and graduate their first class by Spring 2018

Before this whole pharmacy school expansion, there were just 4 pharmacy schools in California (UCSF, USC, Western, UOP). Now there are 8 pharmacy schools in California (+ UCSD, Touro, Loma Linda, Northstate). In addition to Chapman, West Coast University, California Health Sciences University and University of Health Sciences (I love the names btw) are also planning to matriculate their first class within a year or two. If they are successful, there will be a total of 12 pharmacy schools in California.

Here's Chapman Dean response to the saturation of pharmacy schools in California:
http://blogs.chapman.edu/happenings...ean-of-chapman-university-school-of-pharmacy/

Thank you for providing your comments. I appreciate receiving them and write today in reply. Chapman University began pursuing a School of Pharmacy, abbreviated CUSP, in late 2011. We initially were partnered with a graduate institute in the Inland Empire, though Chapman’s desire was to have the first School of Pharmacy in Orange County where there are currently no schools and a population of more than 3 million people. You might be interested to know that Orange County supplies more applicants to pharmacy schools nationwide than any other county in the country and that for years California has exported pharmacy school applicants.

Your statements about applicant demand in Southern California run contrary to the statistics on applicant demand. Furthermore, well-established experts in pharmacy practice foresee a significant demand for graduates equipped with advanced primary care and team care skill sets. Witness the “provider status” efforts moving through the California legislature. We have letters of support for our school from two large local health organizations, one the largest employer of pharmacists in Orange County. Both predict additional demand for pharmacists in the future. CUSP’s mission is to graduate pharmacists with skills that include and extend beyond the traditional practice environments encountered now in order to meet the needs of an evolving healthcare landscape. We plan to position our graduates for employment in evolving areas of practice in the local industry, care management, advanced primary care and for additional post-doc specialty training.

As you suggest, the purpose of higher education is really to prepare students for the workforce. Here at Chapman we also believe we prepare our students to be contributing global citizens. We also believe that universities actually prepare students for a lifetime of learning that will enable them to do jobs that one can’t even envision today. Thinking back on the changes we all have seen, what university could have predicted preparing students for some of the jobs that are so prevalent today. To a great extent, this is what we predict for pharmacy. While the economic downturn did limit some traditional practice community and institutional jobs, employers tell us that indications are this will change as the economy improves. In addition, there has always been strong demand for pharmacists with skills transferable into the pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical and medical device industries locally. The future surely holds enormous opportunity for pharmacists as more people get access to health care through government health reform programs and as the health delivery industry restructures to deliver more efficient and higher quality care.

I also firmly believe that there are still too many errors in health care delivery and that pharmacists are positioned to lead efforts in error prevention, improved quality, decreased health costs and the development of a “flawless” health delivery system. The costs and damage from medication-related error is all too common today. The IOM and many other experts agree with this need to focus on quality improvement and error prevention. CUSP will focus on these areas.

My hope is that CUSP will ultimately be of great assistance to all pharmacists and pharmacy graduates in our area who seek an expanding role in helping people become and stay healthier, especially by ensuring that their medication use is flawless. We intend to work with and provide training and support to pharmacists and health care provider organizations within our county and beyond.

Thank you for your interest in the Chapman University School of Pharmacy.

Sincerely,

Ronald P Jordan, R.Ph. FAPhA

Dean of the Chapman University School of Pharmacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oooh time to look into faculty positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/index.aspx

Before this whole pharmacy school expansion, there were just 4 pharmacy schools in California (UCSF, USC, Western, UOP). Now there are 8 pharmacy schools in California (+ UCSD, Touro, Loma Linda, Northstate). In addition to Chapman, West Coast University, California Health Sciences University and University of Health Sciences (I love the names btw) are also planning to matriculate their first class within a year or two. If they are successful, there will be a total of 12 pharmacy schools in California.

I forgot to include Keck Graduate Institute to the list of pharmacy school planning to open in California so that's 13: http://pharmacy.kgi.edu/

I am hoping to open my own school tentatively named "$ash Money $chool of Pharmacy" so that's 14!

So, what are the chances of the Dean's projection on future demand being true? (Serious question).

Is there a big shortage requiring 100+ new grads yearly to fill open spots?