2015 Chapman University School of Pharmacy 1st Class starting 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChapmanPharmacy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Students, my name is Lawrence "LB" Brown, PharmD, PhD, and I am the Associate Dean of Student & Academic Affairs at Chapman University School of Pharmacy (CUSP). www.chapman.edu/pharmacy

I just wanted to provide some information about our new school that will be accepting applications through PharmCAS on July 14th, 2014, with our first class of 60 students starting in late August 2015.

Although we are part of Chapman University, we are actually located in Irvine, CA rather than on the main campus in Orange. Chapman has created a Health Science Campus at the corner of Alton Pkwy and Jeronimo Rd; just a mile from the Irvine Metrolink station and 3 miles from the Irvine Spectrum Shopping Center.

The Health Science Campus currently will include the School of Pharmacy, and the Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Programs.

Although we will be preparing students to work in traditional areas of pharmacy practice and the pharmaceutical and medical device industries, we are intently focused on preparing our graduates to work in the team-based care environments within medical groups, accountable care organizations, care transition organizations, and patient-centered medical homes. So if working in a team-based care environment where you are able to help patients meet their medication therapy and disease state goals is something that interests you, then Chapman may be the place for you.

You can find out more information about our innovative pharmacy program and our outstanding faculty on our website, www.chapman.edu/pharmacy, or you can email me at [email protected]. I'm here to help.

Members don't see this ad.

For the Intro to Genetics pre-requisite, is there a substitution course that would take its place?

Pretty much any 3 semester unit Human Genetics course will do. But send me the name of the course and where you took it. I can double check it for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much any 3 semester unit Human Genetics course will do. But send me the name of the course and where you took it. I can double check it for you.
Sorry, I meant can you use an upper division biology course as a substitute for the Genetics course.

Not really. It needs to be a Genetics course. It's the basic information about Genetics that you will need for our pharmacy program.

Are there any supplemental applications we have to complete before submitting the Pharmcas application?

Hello Students, my name is Lawrence "LB" Brown, PharmD, PhD, and I am the Associate Dean of Student & Academic Affairs at Chapman University School of Pharmacy (CUSP). www.chapman.edu/pharmacy

I just wanted to provide some information about our new school that will be accepting applications through PharmCAS on July 14th, 2014, with our first class of 60 students starting in late August 2015.

Although we are part of Chapman University, we are actually located in Irvine, CA rather than on the main campus in Orange. Chapman has created a Health Science Campus at the corner of Alton Pkwy and Jeronimo Rd; just a mile from the Irvine Metrolink station and 3 miles from the Irvine Spectrum Shopping Center.

The Health Science Campus currently will include the School of Pharmacy, and the Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Programs.

Although we will be preparing students to work in traditional areas of pharmacy practice and the pharmaceutical and medical device industries, we are intently focused on preparing our graduates to work in the team-based care environments within medical groups, accountable care organizations, care transition organizations, and patient-centered medical homes. So if working in a team-based care environment where you are able to help patients meet their medication therapy and disease state goals is something that interests you, then Chapman may be the place for you.

You can find out more information about our innovative pharmacy program and our outstanding faculty on our website, www.chapman.edu/pharmacy, or you can email me at [email protected]. I'm here to help.
How's the job market in Cali? @BMBiology

Hello! I was wondering if the PCAT minimum score consideration is flexible. I understand that it's set at 60% right now but will the admissions committee still review my application if I have lower?

Hello! I was wondering if the PCAT minimum score consideration is flexible. I understand that it's set at 60% right now but will the admissions committee still review my application if I have lower?

Yes, we will consider students with lower PCAT scores, if the excel in another area..

Is a PCAT necessary to apply to this school?

Is a PCAT necessary to apply to this school?

Yes a PCAT is required. We are the first California School to require the PCAT, since we believe that due to the high level of competition to get into a California School, it allows students an additional opportunity to distinguish themselves.

Let me know if you have other questions

Dr. Brown

Yes a PCAT is required. We are the first California School to require the PCAT, since we believe that due to the high level of competition to get into a California School, it allows students an additional opportunity to distinguish themselves.

Let me know if you have other questions

Dr. Brown

what score on the PCAT is preferred or required?

Members don't see this ad :)
what score on the PCAT is preferred or required?
We prefer a composite PCAT of 50th percentile or more, but would accept a little bit lower one if you excel in another area. It also must be a score from a test that has been taken since Jan 2012.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Brown

Dr. Brown,

When is the last date to take the PCAT in order to apply to Chapman?

For this admission cycle, the latest PCAT would be the July 9th or 10th date. That is because we will need to receive your score before Orientation week starts on August 24th.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. Brown

Hi Chapman School of Pharmacy,
Is it required that all prerequisites are complete prior to us submitting our application? I will have one left (genetics) at the time I apply this summer. I am also curious as to what percentage of the incoming class will have an undergrad degree. Thanks!

This. This right here is what us wrong with some pharmacy schools. The fact that youre school "requires" a pcat amd accepts them AFTER you have accepted students shows how desperate your school is. You sheeple who decide to go to this joke of a school report back to us in a few years when your NAPLEX pass ratings are in the 70s or wore. Smh.
No one is forcing you to go here! Maybe you did apply here and are just mad you didn't get in like it says on your comments "Sorry bud. Doesn't look like either of us got in. Good luck next year."

Hi Chapman School of Pharmacy,
Is it required that all prerequisites are complete prior to us submitting our application? I will have one left (genetics) at the time I apply this summer. I am also curious as to what percentage of the incoming class will have an undergrad degree. Thanks!

You do not have to have all of your pre-reqs completed before you apply. As long as they are completed before orientation, that will be fine. However, it is better for you to complete them as soon as possible, since any offer of admission would be contingent upon you completing the pre-reqs.

Dr. Brown

This. This right here is what us wrong with some pharmacy schools. The fact that youre school "requires" a pcat amd accepts them AFTER you have accepted students shows how desperate your school is. You sheeple who decide to go to this joke of a school report back to us in a few years when your NAPLEX pass ratings are in the 70s or wore. Smh.

Hello ChiAz, and thanks for your comment. I can see now how my comment might have misled you.

Since we are the first California school that requires the PCAT, we decided to be a little bit flexible by allowing students to be interviewed and accepted prior to taking the PCAT. However, the student's letter of admission clearly states that their admission is contingent on getting a sufficient score on the July PCAT. So there is no desperation here, just a realization that students were caught off guard by the fact that we require a PCAT, and the fact that many school counselors were still telling their students that no California schools require a PCAT, so the student must have misunderstood what they heard.

As for 5 years from now, or even 3 years from now. I will be glad to put our NAPLEX pass rate up against any other school out there.

Take the time to learn more about Chapman and you will see that we have excellent leadership, excellent faculty, excellent facilities, an excellent curriculum, and an excellent location.

Dr. Brown

You do not have to have all of your pre-reqs completed before you apply. As long as they are completed before orientation, that will be fine. However, it is better for you to complete them as soon as possible, since any offer of admission would be contingent upon you completing the pre-reqs.

Dr. Brown

That is like accepting someone who has not completed even one pre-req class.

Why "require" the PCAT when your school doesn't need to look at it? If somebody doesn't know the PCAT is a requirement, should he be accepted into a doctorate program? It is all over your website!

And seriously, what school encourages students to keep on applying even a month prior to orientation?

Chapman seems to be a decent pharmacy school but it got into this game a bit too late. There are now 6 pharmacy schools within a 50 miles radius of Chapman....Yes, 6~! In addition, there are 5 other pharmacy schools in California.

It is nice that Chapman and a zillion other pharmacy schools are claiming to be training the next generation of clinical pharmacists. But outside of academia, these clinical pharmacists are still very limited. Even if pharmacists are fully recognized as "healthcare providers", it will take years for insurance companies to reimburse pharmacists for their clinical services.

When I was a student pharmacist, I told this floater, who graduated from my school 20 years earlier, that soon pharmacists will be reimbursed for their clinical services. He immediately shot back, "that is what they told me too!"

Back then it was "MTM" and before that it was "clinical pharmacy" and "pharmaceutical care". Now it is "provider status". All these are buzz words to keep pharmacy schools running.

Next time ask a pharmacy school faculty how he is getting paid. It is not from the small clinic where he works as a clinical pharmacist. Your tuition pays his salary and keeps the lights on at your pharmacy school.

The road ahead is going to be long. The future is uncertain. Think long and hard before you borrow $80 k a year.

With the influx of new pharmacy schools, another concern is the availability of rotation sites. Many of them, particularly hospitals, are rumoredly full and are not accepting students from schools that do not previously have a contract with them. This is at a time when students from the other new pharmacy schools including West Coast University, Keck Graduate Institute, etc. have not yet sent students on rotations and must do so in 1-2 years as students enter their 3rd and 4th years. What is Chapman University's status on obtaining rotation sites?

Reactions: 1 users
That is like accepting someone who has not completed even one pre-req class.

Why "require" the PCAT when your school doesn't need to look at it? If somebody doesn't know the PCAT is a requirement, should he be accepted into a doctorate program? It is all over your website!

And seriously, what school encourages students to keep on applying even a month prior to orientation?

If you think about it, this isn't like accepting someone who has not completed even one pre-req class, since it would be impossible for someone to finish all of their pre-req courses in one year. Students have to confirm that they are able to complete the rest of their pre-reqs before orientation. And we only look at students who can possibly complete their pre-reqs on time. If someone applied with too many pre-req courses not met, they don't get an interview.

As I mentioned previously, we do need to look at the PCAT. Why would we want to take a hard nosed approach and miss out on an excellent student candidate, when they might have been given incorrect information by their counselor. They still need to take and get a sufficient score in order to start classes in the fall.

As for your last point, I'm not sure where you got the impression that we are encouraging students to apply a month prior to orientation. Our normal application deadline is March 2nd. This year Chapman, along with many other schools, have been allowed to extend the deadline to June 1st, because PharmCAS opened 3 weeks later than normal last year.

I hope this information has been helpful to you and others.

Dr. Brown

Chapman seems to be a decent pharmacy school but it got into this game a bit too late. There are now 6 pharmacy schools within a 50 miles radius of Chapman....Yes, 6~! In addition, there are 5 other pharmacy schools in California.

It is nice that Chapman and a zillion other pharmacy schools are claiming to be training the next generation of clinical pharmacists. But outside of academia, these clinical pharmacists are still very limited. Even if pharmacists are fully recognized as "healthcare providers", it will take years for insurance companies to reimburse pharmacists for their clinical services.

When I was a student pharmacist, I told this floater, who graduated from my school 20 years earlier, that soon pharmacists will be reimbursed for their clinical services. He immediately shot back, "that is what they told me too!"

Back then it was "MTM" and before that it was "clinical pharmacy" and "pharmaceutical care". Now it is "provider status". All these are buzz words to keep pharmacy schools running.

Next time ask a pharmacy school faculty how he is getting paid. It is not from the small clinic where he works as a clinical pharmacist. Your tuition pays his salary and keeps the lights on at your pharmacy school.

The road ahead is going to be long. The future is uncertain. Think long and hard before you borrow $80 k a year.

Yes there are 6 other schools around Chapman, but you forgot to mention that 4 of them are over the hills in the Inlqnd Empire area, 1 is in L.A., and the other in San Diego. We are the only school in Orange County, which means we aren't competing for rotation sites.

I graduated in 1999, and I also heard about how much pharmacy would change. And the truth is that it has. Pharmacists around the nation are currently being reimbursed for MTM services under Medicare Part D. And currently, more and more pharmacists are being hired by a Medical Groups, ACO's, and PCMH's to provide MTM services to their patient populations in the ambulatory setting. And hardly any of them are paid for by the schools of pharmacy.

I've been on the Board of Trustees for the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) , and I am currently the APhA President, so I have a much fuller view of the pharmacy world than the typical pharmacist. I know about the challenges that community pharmacists are facing, and I know about the great work that pharmacists are doing in community pharmacies and other emerging roles. Provider status will bring us recognition and reimbursement much sooner than you think.

And as the market for embedded pharmacists opens up, we will need an additional 100,000 or so pharmacists to meet the demand. But we won't get there by being negative about what pharmacists can do.

With the influx of new pharmacy schools, another concern is the availability of rotation sites. Many of them, particularly hospitals, are rumoredly full and are not accepting students from schools that do not previously have a contract with them. This is at a time when students from the other new pharmacy schools including West Coast University, Keck Graduate Institute, etc. have not yet sent students on rotations and must do so in 1-2 years as students enter their 3rd and 4th years. What is Chapman University's status on obtaining rotation sites?

That's a great question. Since Chapman is the only school in Orange County, we have already gotten affiliation agreements with a large number of sites, and we continue to get more each week. We already have enough sites for our first class of 60 students, and we are close to having enough sites for when our class size reaches 100. Even though they won't be going on APPE rotations until 2019. We aren't leaving anything up to chance.

Yes there are 6 other schools around Chapman, but you forgot to mention that 4 of them are over the hills in the Inlqnd Empire area, 1 is in L.A., and the other in San Diego. We are the only school in Orange County, which means we aren't competing for rotation sites.

I graduated in 1999, and I also heard about how much pharmacy would change. And the truth is that it has. Pharmacists around the nation are currently being reimbursed for MTM services under Medicare Part D. And currently, more and more pharmacists are being hired by a Medical Groups, ACO's, and PCMH's to provide MTM services to their patient populations in the ambulatory setting. And hardly any of them are paid for by the schools of pharmacy.

I've been on the Board of Trustees for the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) , and I am currently the APhA President, so I have a much fuller view of the pharmacy world than the typical pharmacist. I know about the challenges that community pharmacists are facing, and I know about the great work that pharmacists are doing in community pharmacies and other emerging roles. Provider status will bring us recognition and reimbursement much sooner than you think.

And as the market for embedded pharmacists opens up, we will need an additional 100,000 or so pharmacists to meet the demand. But we won't get there by being negative about what pharmacists can do.

This is what I mean when I say there is a disconnect between academia and the real world.

Your post is full of buzz words and dreamy analysis.

Orange County has always been saturated with pharmacists because a lot of pharmacy students are originally from Orange County and that is where they would like to work and live.

Since you are an expert in MTM, I would like to ask you the following questions:

(1) on average, what is the MTM reimbursement rate?
(2) on average, how long does it take a pharmacist to do a session?
(3) how many of the faculty members at Chapman are currently doing MTM and what is their reimbursement?
(4) what are the reasons why MTM has not taken off as originally envisioned?

These are fair questions and something you shouldn't have trouble answering.

To put this bluntly, you are doing a disservice to your students by giving them an unrealistic picture of the profession while charging them outrageous tuition. I would like to see some hard numbers to back up what you are saying. Better yet, put together a resume and apply to a real pharmacist position.

Reactions: 1 users
As for your last point, I'm not sure where you got the impression that we are encouraging students to apply a month prior to orientation. Our normal application deadline is March 2nd. This year Chapman, along with many other schools, have been allowed to extend the deadline to June 1st, because PharmCAS opened 3 weeks later than normal last year.

Any sources to cite that? It most certainly did not.

Reactions: 1 user
This is what I mean when I say there is a disconnect between academia and the real world.

Orange County has always been saturated with pharmacists because a lot of pharmacy students are originally from Orange County and that is where they would like to work and live.

Since you are an expert in MTM, I would like to ask you the following questions:

(3) how many of the faculty members at Chapman are currently doing MTM and what is their reimbursement?

To put this bluntly, you are doing a disservice to your students by giving them an unrealistic picture of the profession while charging them outrageous tuition. I would like to see some hard numbers to back up what you are saying. Better yet, put together a resume and apply to a real pharmacist position.

As soon as I saw "Board of Trustees, President of APhA," I correctly predicted this savior would mention the mythical shortage of 100,000 pharmacists. It is the students' responsibility to read through the lines.

The population will take a shift in age demographics, with baby boomers turning 65+ very soon. Does this open up jobs? I am not sure. This really just means the current pharmacist is going to be forced to fill more medications in a dangerous environment when the time comes.

---

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I'm glad to answer your questions. For the benefit of others as well as for your benefit.

I'm not sure what you mean by buzz words, since you didn't provide any examples. I simply use the terminology for things as they exists currently within the healthcare arena.

You are correct that the traditional pharmacy environments in Orange County are saturated. But it's not just because a lot of pharmacy students are from here, it also happens to be a very attractive place to live and work.

As for your specific questions

1) the average reimbursement for a Comprehensive Med Reciew (CMR) within Medicare Part D is about $80
2) if a pharmacist does everything, an initial CMR visit takes about 60 minutes, and a follow-up visit takes about 30 minutes. But if a pharmacist uses a technician to get the med history from the patient and schedule the follow up appointments, then the pharmacist time spent is a third to one-half less.
3) we are a new school, so we don't have all our faculty yet. But we do have all our faculty who will be teaching this first year, and we have hired our faculty who will be teaching in the second year. However, they start in July or August of this year. I say all of that to say that we have 1 faculty member who is providing MTM. I don't know how much he is getting reimbursed, and couldn't tell you if I did due to to Federal Anti-trust laws.
4) there are a large number of reasons that MTM hasn't taken off as much as we would have liked. These reasons include the initial opt-in structure and limited eligibility for the MTM benefit under Medicare Part D. Also, because the benefit is tied to the community pharmacy the patients get most of their meds. The opt-in is now opt-out, and the eligibility criteria is better than it has been, but the number of MTM eligible patients per pharmacy is still not high enough to support hiring an additional pharmacist to do the MTM. You also have the fact that the majority of pharmacists out there were not trained to deliver MTM, so they are not as comfortable providing the service. You also have the stereotypical view that many patients have of Phamacists of just dispensing prescriptions. This means that even when a patient has the MTM benefit, they may not come in to see the pharmacist for a CMR.

As for your last points, many would say that the only disservice I would be doing to students would be if I told them not to go into one of the greatest health care professions there are, just because it might be a little challenging or that their first job out of school may not be in the city that is their first choice.

And lastly, I don't know what to make of your statement about outrageous tuition. Our total tuition and fees is less than almost all schools in California except the two UC schools.

Any sources to cite that? It most certainly did not.

Feel free to call PharmCAS and ask them if they didn't open later than normal last year. They didn't open applications until around July 14th last year, which was later than previous years.

As soon as I saw "Board of Trustees, President of APhA," I correctly predicted this savior would mention the mythical shortage of 100,000 pharmacists. It is the students' responsibility to read through the lines.

I'm not sure what myth you are referring to. The Aggregate Demand Index is 3.48 which means there are more jobs than there are pharmacists to fill them. And this is about a 0.2 increase from this time last year. When it reaches 4.0, this means that there is difficulty in finding pharmacists to fill open positions. And this demand index is only taking into consideration current pharmacists positions. It doesn't take into consideration the additional pharmacists that will be needed as the number of baby boomers increases, or the new roles for pharmacists that will be added as more med groups and ACO's begin to hire pharmacists to do MTM.

You can call it mythical if you like, but I think I'll rely on the hard intelligence I'm aware of because of my role on the Board of Trustees. And I would think that most students would rather rely on that high level information as well to help them read between the lines as to the real future of pharmacy in America.

The population will take a shift in age demographics, with baby boomers turning 65+ very soon. Does this open up jobs? I am not sure. This really just means the current pharmacist is going to be forced to fill more medications in a dangerous environment when the time comes.

I have no doubt that the increasing baby boomer population will lead to more jobs for pharmacists, since it will lead to the opening of more pharmacies. But central fill technologies will be used to deal with some of the increase in prescriptions.

But you should know that hospitals and retail pharmacies are not the only place pharmacists work. In addition to compounding, long-term care, home infusion, and specialty pharmacies (these are pharmacies who dispense medications for and manage patients who are on very high cost therapies or those that require special handling), you also have many pharmacists who work for the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Service (CMS), the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the Federal Drug Agency (FDA), and for health plans and Pharmacy Benefit Managers.

So if retail pharmacy is not something you think you would enjoy, there are tens of thousands of other jobs out there that pharmacists do.

---

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I'm glad to answer your questions. For the benefit of others as well as for your benefit.

I'm not sure what you mean by buzz words, since you didn't provide any examples. I simply use the terminology for things as they exists currently within the healthcare arena.

You are correct that the traditional pharmacy environments in Orange County are saturated. But it's not just because a lot of pharmacy students are from here, it also happens to be a very attractive place to live and work.

As for your specific questions

1) the average reimbursement for a Comprehensive Med Reciew (CMR) within Medicare Part D is about $80
2) if a pharmacist does everything, an initial CMR visit takes about 60 minutes, and a follow-up visit takes about 30 minutes. But if a pharmacist uses a technician to get the med history from the patient and schedule the follow up appointments, then the pharmacist time spent is a third to one-half less.
3) we are a new school, so we don't have all our faculty yet. But we do have all our faculty who will be teaching this first year, and we have hired our faculty who will be teaching in the second year. However, they start in July or August of this year. I say all of that to say that we have 1 faculty member who is providing MTM. I don't know how much he is getting reimbursed, and couldn't tell you if I did due to to Federal Anti-trust laws.
4) there are a large number of reasons that MTM hasn't taken off as much as we would have liked. These reasons include the initial opt-in structure and limited eligibility for the MTM benefit under Medicare Part D. Also, because the benefit is tied to the community pharmacy the patients get most of their meds. The opt-in is now opt-out, and the eligibility criteria is better than it has been, but the number of MTM eligible patients per pharmacy is still not high enough to support hiring an additional pharmacist to do the MTM. You also have the fact that the majority of pharmacists out there were not trained to deliver MTM, so they are not as comfortable providing the service. You also have the stereotypical view that many patients have of Phamacists of just dispensing prescriptions. This means that even when a patient has the MTM benefit, they may not come in to see the pharmacist for a CMR.

As for your last points, many would say that the only disservice I would be doing to students would be if I told them not to go into one of the greatest health care professions there are, just because it might be a little challenging or that their first job out of school may not be in the city that is their first choice.

And lastly, I don't know what to make of your statement about outrageous tuition. Our total tuition and fees is less than almost all schools in California except the two UC schools.

Your post is full of speculations and it is not supported with any factual data.

First, pharmacists are not getting paid for Comprehensive Med Review. Show me your source.

Second, what is your track record in creating "nontraditional" pharmacist jobs, which account for less than 10% of the jobs. I ask this because every school claims to be training their students for jobs that are "not here yet but will be here soon" and then many of them end up slaving away at CVS while you and your colleagues continue to sell them false hopes.

Third, MTM has not and will not take off because reimbursement is so low. I know pharmacists who are getting paid $2.50 per 30-60 minute session.

Forth, just because Chapman is slightly cheaper than some of the most expensive schools doesnt mean Chapman tuition is not outrageous. $67 k in tuition alone in the first year is just outrageous.

Your post is full of speculations and it is not supported with any factual data.

First, pharmacists are not getting paid for Comprehensive Med Review. Show me your source.

Second, what is your track record in creating "nontraditional" pharmacist jobs, which account for less than 10% of the jobs. I ask this because every school claims to be training their students for jobs that are "not here yet but will be here soon" and then many of them end up slaving away at CVS while you and your colleagues continue to sell them false hopes.

Third, MTM has not and will not take off because reimbursement is so low. I know pharmacists who are getting paid $2.50 per 30-60 minute session.

Forth, just because Chapman is slightly cheaper than some of the most expensive schools doesnt mean Chapman tuition is not outrageous. $67 k in tuition alone in the first year is just outrageous.

Thousands of pharmacists are getting paid for CMR's all over the country. I'm sorry that you haven't had the benefit of working at one of the pharmacies that are getting paid. You can do your research and find multiple journal articles that document the payments. Just do a pubmed search. Plus I personally know folks at Mirixa and Outcomes who are paying for MTM, and I personally know pharmacists who are getting paid. In addition, my PhD dissertation was on pharmacists provided MTM.

And I hear you saying that schools are giving false hope, but that just isn't the case. Today we have pharmacists who are embedded in Medical Groups, Accountable Care Organizations, Kaiser, and Care transition organizations. All of them are providing MTM services in areas that pharmacists never were just 15 years ago. And there are far more community pharmacists who are providing MTM and getting payment for these services, than there was 15 years ago. In addition, CMS has continued to loosen up the MTM eligibility requirements under Part D, and they continue to view pharmacists as providing a value contribution to improved health outcomes and quality. 15 years ago, CMS's view of pharmacists was just as dispensers of medicines. In addition, more and more physicians are hiring pharmacist or entering into collaboration agreements with pharmacists to provide MTM services. Am I saying that these things are occurring in every city, no I'm not. But it is happening in far more cities and pharmacies than 15 years ago.

And I'm sorry, but anyone who is telling you that they are only getting $2.50 for a 30-60 minute CMR is either lying or not telling you the whole story. The only way I can see that a pharmacist is only getting $2.50, is if that what their employer is giving them out of the total payment, as an incentive to providing the service, since they already get their regular paycheck. Or they are confusing the $2.50 dispensing fee for payment for the CMR. Outcomes and Mirixa are paying $70 per CMR, plus $10 or so for resolving each DTP that was found during the CMR.

I hope this provided more clarity for you and others.

Will Chapman be offering an MBA/PharmD program?

I am majoring in Business currently while completing pharm prereqs and if there is going to be a MBA dual program in the future, what classes I should complete now prior to entry ino the program?

Thank you!

We may have a dual degree, but it will be a few years from now at the earliest. Since we haven't created it yet, I can't tell you what courses would be good to take.

But keep checking this site, since we will announce the dual degree program here when we create it.

Thousands of pharmacists are getting paid for CMR's all over the country. I'm sorry that you haven't had the benefit of working at one of the pharmacies that are getting paid. You can do your research and find multiple journal articles that document the payments. Just do a pubmed search. Plus I personally know folks at Mirixa and Outcomes who are paying for MTM, and I personally know pharmacists who are getting paid. In addition, my PhD dissertation was on pharmacists provided MTM.

And I hear you saying that schools are giving false hope, but that just isn't the case. Today we have pharmacists who are embedded in Medical Groups, Accountable Care Organizations, Kaiser, and Care transition organizations. All of them are providing MTM services in areas that pharmacists never were just 15 years ago. And there are far more community pharmacists who are providing MTM and getting payment for these services, than there was 15 years ago. In addition, CMS has continued to loosen up the MTM eligibility requirements under Part D, and they continue to view pharmacists as providing a value contribution to improved health outcomes and quality. 15 years ago, CMS's view of pharmacists was just as dispensers of medicines. In addition, more and more physicians are hiring pharmacist or entering into collaboration agreements with pharmacists to provide MTM services. Am I saying that these things are occurring in every city, no I'm not. But it is happening in far more cities and pharmacies than 15 years ago.

And I'm sorry, but anyone who is telling you that they are only getting $2.50 for a 30-60 minute CMR is either lying or not telling you the whole story. The only way I can see that a pharmacist is only getting $2.50, is if that what their employer is giving them out of the total payment, as an incentive to providing the service, since they already get their regular paycheck. Or they are confusing the $2.50 dispensing fee for payment for the CMR. Outcomes and Mirixa are paying $70 per CMR, plus $10 or so for resolving each DTP that was found during the CMR.

Again, you need to support what you are saying with hard data. What you are saying doesn't make business sense. If pharmacists are being paid $70 then why hasn't it taken off for the last 8 years?

It is nice to make all of these lofty claims but you need to support them with facts.

Here is a straight forward question. How much is the faculty at Chapman being paid for their clinical services? How many of them are just volunteers at these small clinics and are providing clinical services that they can't bill?

This article was posted on drug topics:

"CVS Health is actually paying for MTMs now, without provider status. Thanks to the FTC, CVS was able to buy Caremark and the Mirixa platform, which sets up MTMs for pharmacists. My payment so far is $336 for 25 cases.

Those who think that's good reimbursement are kidding themselves. The number of phone calls and amount of work involved is ridiculous. Will provider status get pharmacists better reimbursement? CVS is the same company that pays us $1.85 for a month’s supply of furosemide. That includes all possible cognitive services required by the state board. $1.85 per month. Let that sink in."

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...-and-dandy-pharmacists-need-get-paid?page=0,1

Still claiming MTM pays $80? You don't need to do a PhD dissertation on pharmacist providing MTM to know that.

I think most people would say I have supported my claims. If you doubt them, locate the articles and contact Outcomes and Mirixa.

As for your last point, there are multiple reasons why MTM hasn't taken off faster than we would like.

1. The number of MTM eligible patients per pharmacy is not yet large enough to provide enough revenue to hire an additional pharmacist to provide the services.

2. Even pharmacies that have have MTM patients are not providing the service

3. The pharmacists who continue to talk negatively about MTM for various reasons

4. The people who continue to claim that there isn't any decent reimbursement for MTM when there really is.

BTW, Nurse Practioners also had a difficult time gaining acceptance and payment for their services, so it shouldn't be surprising that pharmacists would also face challenges as they try to expand their roles.

This article was posted on drug topics:

"CVS Health is actually paying for MTMs now, without provider status. Thanks to the FTC, CVS was able to buy Caremark and the Mirixa platform, which sets up MTMs for pharmacists. My payment so far is $336 for 25 cases.

Those who think that's good reimbursement are kidding themselves. The number of phone calls and amount of work involved is ridiculous. Will provider status get pharmacists better reimbursement? CVS is the same company that pays us $1.85 for a month’s supply of furosemide. That includes all possible cognitive services required by the state board. $1.85 per month. Let that sink in."

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...-and-dandy-pharmacists-need-get-paid?page=0,1

Still claiming MTM pays $80? You don't need to do a PhD dissertation on pharmacist providing MTM to know that.

As for the quote in the Drug Topics article, all it shows is that there are some pharmacists out there who are finding things difficult. But the fact that a few pharmacists are accepting less than they should for providing MTM does not mean that there aren't pharmacists out there who are receiving decent reimbursement.

Based on your comment about how much CVS pays for furosimde, does that mean you are a pharmacist?

As for your last comment, the PhD is useful (but not required) to understand that antidotal evidence does not equal reality, only a small slice of reality. So I would say yes, based on my knowledge and awareness of lots of pharmacists who are getting paid $70 for a CMR and more for resolving DTP, MTM does pay $80. That's different from saying that ALL pharmacists are getting paid that much for MTM.

Slaving away at CVS will soon be a luxury.

As for the quote in the Drug Topics article, all it shows is that there are some pharmacists out there who are finding things difficult. But the fact that a few pharmacists are accepting less than they should for providing MTM does not mean that there aren't pharmacists out there who are receiving decent reimbursement.

Based on your comment about how much CVS pays for furosimde, does that mean you are a pharmacist?

As for your last comment, the PhD is useful (but not required) to understand that antidotal evidence does not equal reality, only a small slice of reality. So I would say yes, based on my knowledge and awareness of lots of pharmacists who are getting paid $70 for a CMR and more for resolving DTP, MTM does pay $80. That's different from saying that ALL pharmacists are getting paid that much for MTM.

You don't seem to understand how business works. If MTM reimbursement is generous and plentiful as you have claimed then why hasn't MTM taken off? Don't businesses usually pursue profitable work?

You don't think there are pharmacists who would rather sit behind a desk and get paid $80 an hour? Certainly there are plenty of qualified pharmacists. The number of residency trained pharmacists is at an all time high so what is holding back MTM?

I will ask this bluntly. When was the last time you completed an MTM session with a patient?

That reimbursement is close... for a successfully completed and documented CMR. It takes much more effort to get to this end point. Some questions I would ask of you...

What is the general acceptance rate of CMR offers? (aka how many patients do I need to try and complete one of these for before I actually get one to come in/call)

What is the allocated labor expense for non-successful CMRs? (time wasted trying to reach people, marketing costs, no show appointments etc.)

If you recognize that CMR eligibility volume at stores is too low to justify adding additional labor then how do you realistically expect these to be completed?

Where are the majority of CMR's being completed? (cough a call center cough)

How many Medicare plans just complete their own CMR's and not push them through various vendors that you mentioned? (Mirixia/OutcomesMTM)

What is a successful CMR, one that is completed or one that improves the patient's outlook? While there is certainly overlap, there are certainly CMRs in practice done in 5 minutes at a cash register because CMR completion rate it is the next thing my employer is asking for.

With the general landscape of healthcare shifting towards outcomes based payments, why are we pushing to implement a new FFS model? Does provider status really change anything for clinical pharmacists practicing in an ACO, in which the ACO believes in the value of the pharmacist?

I'm not sure what myth you are referring to. The Aggregate Demand Index is 3.48 which means there are more jobs than there are pharmacists to fill them. And this is about a 0.2 increase from this time last year. When it reaches 4.0, this means that there is difficulty in finding pharmacists to fill open positions. And this demand index is only taking into consideration current pharmacists positions. It doesn't take into consideration the additional pharmacists that will be needed as the number of baby boomers increases, or the new roles for pharmacists that will be added as more med groups and ACO's begin to hire pharmacists to do MTM.

You can call it mythical if you like, but I think I'll rely on the hard intelligence I'm aware of because of my role on the Board of Trustees. And I would think that most students would rather rely on that high level information as well to help them read between the lines as to the real future of pharmacy in America.

Will you publicly acknowledge here that the Aggregate Demand Index is a measure created by the Pharmacy Workforce Center that is driven by the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP)? Will you please have a large conflict of interest disclaimer posted?

As much as you are signaling about future positions opening up, its half the story and mixed with pure speculation. There are pharmacist positions being removed in consolidated hospital systems, retail pharmacies that are tightening SG&A and cost to fill expenses due to margin compression, and increased "clinical" positions being filled by a still climbing number of pharmacy residents (pay them 1/3 and make them work 2x!).

Whoa whoa hold on there. I'm not a big believer in MTM's yet and I haven't seen it take off. At my workplace, a full CMR pays $40/case. This is on the Mirixa and Caremark platform. No way in hell do I see the average being $70-80/case. More like $40 or slightly less. Or someone is making $120/case. Do you have the reimbursement rate to pharmacies for MTM by region? Perhaps it varies by region and whether you are CVS/Caremark or outside of it. Otherwise we are getting underpaid and maybe we should file a complaint? But absolutely no way are we near 70-80.

I think the $2.50 comes from the reject fee, the amount you are reimbursed for contacting the patient and trying to do a CMR but the patient refuses.

There are these smaller cases that aren't full CMR but usually deal with medication compliance/refills or no ACEI/ARB and diabetic that pay $15-20/case from Silverscript. Usually it's because the insurance Caremark or whoever didn't pick it up because the patient got it for a cheaper price on the pharmacy generic prescription plan and not through the insurance cause the insurance is terrible.

I've seen managed care pharmacists do CMR, there are like 2-3 of them for about 3 million members. Then the residents, then rotation students doing CMRs for free, well technically paying tuition but you know what I mean. Maybe they contracted some out idk. Less than 10 people at a managed care company doing CMR's for a database of millions of members doesn't sound like a whole lot of job growth.

Not everyone qualifies for CMRs, you have to meet certain conditions like # of meds, cost of the drugs they are using, etc. Then you actually have to have patients accept them. A lot of patients are like "Why you calling me?" "Who are you?" "You selling me fishing poles?" Even after we schedule them for a telephone CMR. At the end, there aren't that many Americans needing CMRs and if the medications don't change year to year, there's less value and it's just a follow-up.

MTM isn't worth a pharmacist's time who has to fill and verify. Unless it's a very slow day and you have time, and if the patient even picks up the phone, and if the patient even wants an MTM, then you can perform it. There's a huge issue on even integrating MTM into pharmacy workflow when there are so many other things to do that if you don't you'll lose your job. Pharmacists are effectively getting paid the same amount and forced to do more in a specified amount of time. And a pharmacy will only get 3-5 CMR's every 3 months assigned to them MAX. And a bunch of the littler ones. Ohhhh even if we had time to do all of them that's an extra $300/quarter. That'll help us stay in business. The biggest issues IMO are:

1) Not paid enough, figures of 70-80 aren't accurate
2) Cannot integrate into daily pharmacy work day and workflow due to lack of time (BIGGEST ONE unless you BS the CMR and commit some fraud here and there)
3) Do patients even want them? Did anyone ask what patients think? Or is this just what pharmacy educators want to justify expansion of field? If the goal of APhA or ACPE is to create so many pharmacists that the Federal Gov't HAS to acknowledge us all of us with 6 figure debts and if you don't help us expand we cannot pay back federal loans and force Uncle Sam to give money to justify our MTM or other services, then okay, makes sense and I'll back you up on that one. So far though, not working.

Yes there sometimes is value but is it worth it? I remember one time I really helped out a daughter manage her mom's meds or I help a senior really understand her meds and good habits and I'll have pleasant conversations and CMRs. But many other times, there was anger on the phone, frustration, cursing, skepticism (who are you, you violated my privacy, go away) from people who have appointments. It depends who also answers the phone. The patient might want CMR, the son/daughter won't want. Language barrier also is an issue with some. Should we do MTMs in person then? Explain that to the line in front of the register and doctors calling and tech help always getting cut.

Unless you have a dedicated, well trained, fast, MTM pharmacist it isn't worth it to integrate in community pharmacy at least. You do MTM, then you get 3 phone calls, what do you do? Finish MTM? Let those 3 calls wait? You have someone at the register, who do you service while on the phone? Is every patient going to have their med list ready? How many patients even know what a CMR is or about? Most don't even know about it and think you're some snake oil salesman. Or others spend an hour just blabbering to you about how wonderful Dr. Oz's recommendations are and how they are better than pharmacy meds!

Whatever the case, the expansion of new schools and existing classes has far surpassed the number of jobs available and the number of unemployed new graduates or laid off middle aged pharmacists is ever increasing. How can you continue say things that are not obviously true for so many pharmacists and soon to be pharmacists who are experiencing unemployment, unstable employment, underemployment, or drowned in debt cannot afford to pay back unless living in a camper van?

I respect your position and understand you're paid to say certain things. "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it" but what words do you have to say for the hundreds and thousands of pharmacists who cannot wait for MTM, other pharmacy fields to expand and branch off, not to mention the fact that industry is also no longer expanding??

If you made it this far, I'm impressed.

The company is paid, the pharmacist isn't, and there's no bonus or monetary incentive for doing one.

MTM won't take off because reimbursement is low as you said but also near impossible to integrate into the workflow without angering a lot of waiting customers.

Agree on fourth point and second point. Another newly opened private pharmacy school in my area says the same thing, training pharmacists for jobs that don't exist yet.

Last edited:
You don't seem to understand how business works. If MTM reimbursement is generous and plentiful as you have claimed then why hasn't MTM taken off? Don't businesses usually pursue profitable work?

You don't think there are pharmacists who would rather sit behind a desk and get paid $80 an hour? Certainly there are plenty of qualified pharmacists. The number of residency trained pharmacists is at an all time high so what is holding back MTM?

I will ask this bluntly. When was the last time you completed an MTM session with a patient?

As for your first question, I've already answered it before. I gave 4 reasons why MTM is not as widespread as we would like. But to sum the reasons up for you, it has to do with demand for the services. Although money can be made, there is not yet enough demand per pharmacy for most pharmacists to make a living doing it. The amount of demand is increasing, but jot fast enough.

However, to be clear, saying that there isn't enough money to be made for most pharmacists to do MTM full time, is differrent from saying the reimbursement per case is not enough.

As for your blunt question, it has been about 5 years since I did an MTM case. And although I see where you are trying to go with your question, I think you would agree that any President of the United States has never done most of the things that they need to be knowledgeable about. That's why they have advisors who are in those industries to let him know what is really going on. I have many such advisors that let me know what is going on regarding MTM around the U.S.

And I'm not saying there aren't challenges to be overcome out there with MTM. But then there are challenges in every industry, so why should pharmacy be any different?