2015 Chapman University School of Pharmacy 1st Class starting 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many applicants did Chapman receive for the Fall 2015 entering class?

Close to 500 applications.

But the number of applications was lower than normal for almost all schools last year.

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to offer support to Mr. Brown. The thread was informative and you remained civil through uncalled attacks on your character. I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking you can do better than a lot of established pharmacy schools and hopefully contribute positively to the pharmacy profession.

Besides, I don't think competition for jobs is necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully it will result in higher quality of pharmacists which in turn, may grant more power to future pharmacists.

Last edited:
I just want to offer support to Mr. Brown. The thread was informative and you remained civil through uncalled attacks on your character. I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking you can do better than a lot of established pharmacy schools and hopefully contribute positively to the pharmacy profession.

Besides, I don't think competition for jobs is necessarily a bad thing. Hopefully it will result in higher quality of pharmacists which in turn, may grant more power to future pharmacists.

He would like to be addressed as Dr. Brown.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, you were surprised someone didn't like the fact he was referred to by his first name by a stranger?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, you were surprised someone didn't like the fact he was referred to by his first name by a stranger?
If he really was a stranger, calling him a Dr. would be the last thing I'd do.

Reactions: 2 users
And regarding the 79 students we brought in this Fall, we didn't try to bring in 79 students. Other schools told us that they have a 30% melt of students before classes start. This means that 30% of deposited students at most schools end up not coming the first day of class. So we accepted 87 deposits, think we would likely lose 25 students, but maybe a few more since we are a new school. But amazingly, only 8 students didn't show up for orientation. You can read into that what you want. But what we think it says is that students are excited about the unique pharmacy program we have to offer, so much so that they were willing to take the risk that we were a new school and didn't have candidate status yet.

Hawaii College of Pharmacy said exactly the same thing. They closed down two years afterward.

You know it is all about the money. Why else would you accepted more than 90%? I bet the other 10% didnt even show up to their interview.

http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/2247
  • Estimated number interviewed for fall 2015 entering class: 128
  • Estimated number accepted for fall 2015 entering class: 117

What is your reasoning for using the Pharmacy Manpower Study to demonstrate a shortage of pharmacists in the USA when the people who created the Pharmacy Manpower Study directly benefit from building more pharmacy schools? There is a conflict of interest.

Hello, Dr. Brown! I had a few questions regarding application process and it would be great if you could answer them.

1. I come from UW Seattle where it's run on a QUARTER system and my Molecular Bio BS program requires only 1 of the 2 Genome/Genetic courses, both of are just intro.

Here's the course:
GENOME 361 Fundamentals of Genetics and Genomics (3) NW
Introduces fundamentals concepts in genetics and genomics including patterns of inheritance, genetic variation, and the relationship between genotype and phenotype.

Would this be acceptable for the genetics requirement and if it's 3 semester credits, do I have to take more genetics class? Due to taking summer quarter every summer during undergrad, I am on a credit crunch and cannot afford any credits outside my Bio major/Dance minor curriculum.

2. if an applicant has a high PCAT composite (80+) with one incredibly low performing section in the Reading Comprehension (slightly below 20). Would that be seen as a major issue for the candidate if candidate's GPA is barely above the usual "competitive" cutline (~2.8-3.0)?

i would like to know about this too

I cant believe i wasted money applying to this school

Wassup Larry, a lot of applicants unhappy with wasting their money on your college. #thatproviderstatustho

Hawaii College of Pharmacy said exactly the same thing. They closed down two years afterward.

You know it is all about the money. Why else would you accepted more than 90%? I bet the other 10% didnt even show up to their interview.

Just to set the record straight. We had nearly 500 applicants, of which about 400 of them had all of their pre-reqs completed. So that means about 270 students didn't even get an interview, and then we denied an additional 11 based on the interview. Students who didn't show up to the interview were not included in the 128 number. There is a rigorous multi-review process that students go through before they are invited to interview. Nearly all students who receive an interview invitation have competitive GPA's. We do reserve a few spots for students who have a little bit lower GPA, because of doing poorly during the first couple of years of undergrad, but then turned it around and did much better in their last 60 hours or so.

So 117 out of 400 is only a 30% acceptance rate.

By the way, Hawaii College of Pharmacy is an anomaly, and they were nothing like Chapman. From what I heard, they didn't even apply for accreditation. That's why they were shut down. Chapman on the other hand has passed each stage of accreditation with flying colors.

I cant believe i wasted money applying to this school

I'm sorry you feel that way, but we completely understand. Although we have a great program, and we do our best, we know that we can't make everyone happy. I wish you luck in the pharmacy school that you got accepted to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wassup Larry, a lot of applicants unhappy with wasting their money on your college. #thatproviderstatustho

Congrats on getting accepted in the the University of Maryland program. They are a much better fit for you then Chapman.

And as for your comment, it is incorrect. There are not a lot of students unhappy about applying to Chapman. In fact, there is no way of knowing if the person who stated they were unhappy about applying actually did apply. But for those who did apply and are truly unhappy, it could be that they thought that since we are a new school of pharmacy and because they saw someone's inaccurate calculation that we were accepting 90% of students. They might have thought they would be assured of getting admitted, and were upset when they weren't even offered an interview.

Just to set the record straight. We had nearly 500 applicants, of which about 400 of them had all of their pre-reqs completed. So that means about 270 students didn't even get an interview, and then we denied an additional 11 based on the interview. Students who didn't show up to the interview were not included in the 128 number. There is a rigorous multi-review process that students go through before they are invited to interview. Nearly all students who receive an interview invitation have competitive GPA's. We do reserve a few spots for students who have a little bit lower GPA, because of doing poorly during the first couple of years of undergrad, but then turned it around and did much better in their last 60 hours or so.

So 117 out of 400 is only a 30% acceptance rate.

But how many did you extend the invite to interview to? There's a slight difference in "who didn't get an interview" and "who was extended an interview and they declined us." I get that half of your job is to market the school and the competitive process but if you're trying to be transparent be transparent. Is an interview extended to all those completed the pre-reqs? If so I'd changed your denominator for acceptance rate to either the 500 number for applicants or the number that showed up for an interview.

But how many did you extend the invite to interview to? There's a slight difference in "who didn't get an interview" and "who was extended an interview and they declined us." I get that half of your job is to market the school and the competitive process but if you're trying to be transparent be transparent. Is an interview extended to all those completed the pre-reqs? If so I'd changed your denominator for acceptance rate to either the 500 number for applicants or the number that showed up for an interview.

Good questions.

There were about 30 or so students who were invited to interview but didn't RSVP for the interview. You could take them out of the 270 who didn't get an interview. However, acceptance rate is based on the total number of applicants who were considered for an interview, and that would be the 400 students who had met the pre-req requirements. To your point, you could claim that those 30 students who didn't RSVP and the 11 who RSVP'd but didn't show up for the interview should be taken out of the 400 denominator. If you did that, our acceptance rate would be about 128/359=36% which is still pretty low.

I guess, technically we could include the 100 students who applied, but didn't have all the pre-reqs, since you could say that we denied them based on not having all of the pre-reqs. That would give us an acceptance rate of 128/459=28%. But since they were never able to even be considered for an interview, we exclude them from the denominator. And using just the people who showed up wouldn't be appropriate, since we denied the students who had their pre-reqs but didn't qualify for an interview.

As to your other question, interviews are not extended to all those who completed the pre-reqs. We have a multi-step process where students are reviewed (essay, LOR's, work experience, extracurricular experience, GPA's, and PCAT) and they need to get enough points during the review in order to be invited to an interview.

Good questions.

There were about 30 or so students who were invited to interview but didn't RSVP for the interview. You could take them out of the 270 who didn't get an interview. However, acceptance rate is based on the total number of applicants who were considered for an interview, and that would be the 400 students who had met the pre-req requirements. To your point, you could claim that those 30 students who didn't RSVP and the 11 who RSVP'd but didn't show up for the interview should be taken out of the 400 denominator. If you did that, our acceptance rate would be about 128/359=36% which is still pretty low.

I guess, technically we could include the 100 students who applied, but didn't have all the pre-reqs, since you could say that we denied them based on not having all of the pre-reqs. That would give us an acceptance rate of 128/459=28%. But since they were never able to even be considered for an interview, we exclude them from the denominator. And using just the people who showed up wouldn't be appropriate, since we denied the students who had their pre-reqs but didn't qualify for an interview.

As to your other question, interviews are not extended to all those who completed the pre-reqs. We have a multi-step process where students are reviewed (essay, LOR's, work experience, extracurricular experience, GPA's, and PCAT) and they need to get enough points during the review in order to be invited to an interview.

Appreciate tackling the questions head on - if I'm doing the math right, ~170 offered interviews? Lack of RSVP, No show, and attended... Those should be all the buckets right? Unless there's something else I'm not asking going on like a declined invite isn't technically considered a lack of RSVP.

Appreciate tackling the questions head on - if I'm doing the math right, ~170 offered interviews? Lack of RSVP, No show, and attended... Those should be all the buckets right? Unless there's something else I'm not asking going on like a declined invite isn't technically considered a lack of RSVP.

Hi PharFromNormal, you are correct on the approximate number offered an interview. And if you wanted to look at the very micro level, within the 30 who didn't RSVP, this would include those who withdrew their application before the interview date because they had been accepted elsewhere (declined interview) as well as those who didn't RSVP for the interview day. Although technically there were also other students who didn't RSVP for their initial interview day, but did RSVP for and attended a later interview day. But we don't include them in the 30 since they did end up interviewing. I hope that all makes sense.

Hi PharFromNormal, you are correct on the approximate number offered an interview. And if you wanted to look at the very micro level, within the 30 who didn't RSVP, this would include those who withdrew their application before the interview date because they had been accepted elsewhere (declined interview) as well as those who didn't RSVP for the interview day. Although technically there were also other students who didn't RSVP for their initial interview day, but did RSVP for and attended a later interview day. But we don't include them in the 30 since they did end up interviewing. I hope that all makes sense.

Makes sense to me, thanks! When you hit em with all the numbers for people to slice and dice, it gives people less opportunity to speculate/doubt. Appreciate it.

Good questions.

Hello Dr. Brown,
I am a current undergraduate student at UCI and I am really interested in applying to and hopefully getting accepted into CUSP. I currently have a 3.99 GPA, am involved in a school club, work as a Pharmacy Technician for CVS, and volunteer at a clinical pharmacy. I have two situations that I hope you could address. I do not expect to finish my bachelor's degree before applying to the program as I am only a second year but I have a real urge to start pharmacy school and learn so much about medicine to help others. Am I looked down on for applying without a bachelor's degree? My other question is regarding prerequisites. I have primarily most of the prerequisites done, but I am looking to finish the rest of them the following 2017-2018 school year so I would have them finished by Fall of 2018. Am I at a disadvantage for not having finished all of my prerequisites when applying for the Pharmacy Program? Thank you for your time Doctor Brown!

Hello Dr. Brown,
I am a current undergraduate student at UCI and I am really interested in applying to and hopefully getting accepted into CUSP. I currently have a 3.99 GPA, am involved in a school club, work as a Pharmacy Technician for CVS, and volunteer at a clinical pharmacy. I have two situations that I hope you could address. I do not expect to finish my bachelor's degree before applying to the program as I am only a second year but I have a real urge to start pharmacy school and learn so much about medicine to help others. Am I looked down on for applying without a bachelor's degree? My other question is regarding prerequisites. I have primarily most of the prerequisites done, but I am looking to finish the rest of them the following 2017-2018 school year so I would have them finished by Fall of 2018. Am I at a disadvantage for not having finished all of my prerequisites when applying for the Pharmacy Program? Thank you for your time Doctor Brown!
I've seen people get in at 18 years old with nothing but two years at their local community college. You're good. I'll let Dr. Brown confirm this though.

I've seen people get in at 18 years old with nothing but two years at their local community college. You're good. I'll let Dr. Brown confirm this though.

Sounds like a great age to trick someone into signing away $200k+ in loans.

Hello Dr. Brown,
With that gpa and extracurriculars I would suggest not even bothering with Chapman. Go to an accredited, higher ranked school that isn't just trying to take your money

Actually, this isn't quite correct. The 18 year old that entered our class did the first two years of pre-reqs at Chapman as part of our Freshman Early Assurance Program (FEAP) for top high school students. The average GPA of admitted students in FEAP is 4.0 and the average SAT is 2000. Plus most have taken 5 or more AP courses and passed 4 or more AP exams.

In our entering class of 100 for this fall, 65 have a Bachelor's degree, and of those who have less than a bachelor's degree 19 of them are from our FEAP program. Of the remaining 16 without a Bachelor's degree they all have at least 3 years of college and most come from the community college system. It is pretty much impossible to get through all of our pre-reqs in 2 years at a community college. We can get our FEAP students through in 2 years because we are able to work with the various colleges to get them registered for classes each semester. One other thing about our FEAP program is that in order to stay in the program, they have to maintain a 3.0 GPA and not get any grades less than a C. And for the two cohorts of FEAP students who are now in or coming into the pharmacy program this fall, their average GPA is 3.6.

Although those numbers may make it seem like we give preference to students with a Bachelor's degree, we really don't. It's just that we have far more students with a degree who apply than those without a degree.

Hello Dr. Brown,

I answered the question regarding not having a degree in a posting above.

As for finishing pre-reqs, we allow students to apply as long as they can finish all of their pre-reqs by the Spring semester/quarter. So anyone applying this cycle to start the pharmacy program in 2018, would need to have all of their pre-reqs completed with a grade of C or better by the Spring 2018 semester/quarter. We do sometimes make an exception and allow a student to complete one last course over the summer, but it has to end by the second week of August. But not all students are allowed this exception.

So the typical way that not having completed all of your courses would hurt you is if your pre-req GPA is low, but that isn't the case for you based on your stated GPA.

I hope this has been of help to you.

Last edited:
With that gpa and extracurriculars I would suggest not even bothering with Chapman. Go to an accredited, higher ranked school that isn't just trying to take your money

I'm curious to know what leads you to believe that Chapman is just trying to take students' money. What do you think you know, that we don't know? I'm not trying to get into a debate here, but I think others would be interested in knowing on what you base this perception.

As for 5 years from now, or even 3 years from now. I will be glad to put our NAPLEX pass rate up against any other school out there.

Take the time to learn more about Chapman and you will see that we have excellent leadership, excellent faculty, excellent facilities, an excellent curriculum, and an excellent location.

Dr. Brown

Bump.

Just wondering, what's the NAPLEX pass rate for your first class?

Just wondering, what's the NAPLEX pass rate for your first class?

ChapmanPharmacy said:
As for 5 years from now, or even 3 years from now. I will be glad to put our NAPLEX pass rate up against any other school out there.

Take the time to learn more about Chapman and you will see that we have excellent leadership, excellent faculty, excellent facilities, an excellent curriculum, and an excellent location.

Dr. Brown

Relax, Chapman has a 68.75% pass rate which beats out Chicago State University (58.43%), Hampton University (67.92%), Manchester University (65.00%) and West Coast University (68.57%) so they are effectively ranked #130/134 from an academic standpoint and aren’t some bottom of the barrel school.

In other words, Chapman is a top 150 school that scores among the top 97% of pharmacy schools on the NAPLEX. I would say that this data is certainly evidence that Chapman students can “go up against any other school” scholastically.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users