1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

characters in the two essays, anybody notice the length problem?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Milhouse Van Houten, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Milhouse Van Houten

Milhouse Van Houten Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

the first essay asks for like 5300 characters, or about a page. i've written about 4000 and i have over a page and a half, single spaced, times new roman. 5300 characters is almost 2 pages single spaced!
    for the vision essay, it says like 3300 or about 1/2 page. but 3300 is about an entire page with the same fonts as i mentioned before. what's up with that? are we expected to write close to the max characters?-because that's a lot to read for them!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    mine is around 5,200 characters single spaced 10 point font and it is exactly one page. same for the half page one, it is exactly a half a page.

later

4. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

I used Word for both essays because it has a character count. My PS was in Courier font like it comes out on AMCAS, it was about 5290 characters and the bastard was 3.5 pages! Same for the other one--it was a page, even though the character count was less than 2600 or whatever the limit is. Another thing--when I cut and pasted it into AMCAS and it was too long, it cut it off at 5300 characters on my PS. Bottom line, only the number of characters matters, and not the font you type it in. Also, I don't believe that it's in HTML or something, so I wouldn't expect that it'll somehow look like you typed it on a word processor with all the paragraphs and stuff there. When I pasted mine, it was one big paragraph and I just spaced it into blocks on AMCAS instead of indenting (uses less characters that way).