Charged Capacitors vs. Discharging Batteries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverick56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are plate charges (anode and cathode) reversed in capacitors vs. batteries?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not completely sure but if I had to reason it out intuitively, I'd say that a capacitor is storing or "pulling" charge in one direction while a battery is releasing or "pushing" charge out the other direction. In order for this change in direction to happen, the plate charges need to be reversed.

I am officially now really confused about this after reading that thread. I think I'm getting lost when you say current and I know it as flow of positive charge but then you also talk about the flow of electrons. Then with capacitance, you talk about how the flow of positive charge leaves a negative charge on the cathode but that's confusing for me because doesn't the flow of electrons "cause" the current?

So in a typical battery, the positive end is the cathode and the negative end is the anode. I get that. When it discharges, current (positive charge) moves from cathode to anode across the voltage potential and simultaneously electrons flow from anode to cathode. Right? So when charging the battery (like the OP originally was asking), the anode becomes positive to attract electrons and cathode becomes negative to repel them restoring the voltage potential. The voltage potential that can also be called the potential for current to flow. I think it's easier for me to think of it in terms of flow of electrons.