Charite Berlin! Can somebody tell me about Germany and German medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikbal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey!

I ll be studying in Charite next year as student of Erasmus Exchange Programme. I want to know more about this school and medical education in Germany. please help me!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi,

"MS-5" from germany here. i don't study in Berlin, but maybe I can help you with some general aspects.
the important question is: what year of med school will you be attending / which courses are you scheduled for?
in general, med students in germany start directly after high school on a six-year curriculum. first two years are basic science, and the following 4 years are spent covering the clinical specialties, although those include pharma, path and microbiology here.

if you come in on erasmus, i guess you will be in the clinical years, and probably scheduled for medicine, surgery or any other "core" subjects.

teaching consists of lectures and seminars in groups of 10-20 students. although bedside teaching has been increased in recent years, it still occupies only like 10-20% of your week at most universities. i don't know
if its any different in Berlin, though.

all courses are in german and you should try and study the language if you haven't done so already. otherwise lectures and seminars could be frustrating.

concerning life in general, Berlin is a great place to live, lots of cheap housing and of course loads of cultural and nightlife things to discover.
try and approach your fellow students and don't be mislead by people who seem not to be interested in you: there is a tendency in germany to be a little "reserved" towards strangers (not foreigners in particular) which may seem impolite to someone whos never been here. this shouldnt freak you out, its just that whenever i come to america, i always feel that most strangers seem very welcoming and nice. its just a different code of social interaction and no problem at all if you know about it ;)

hope this helps ;)

hi!

thank you very much mokka23 :D

yeah I ll be a student of Erasmus Student Exchange Programme. I m learning German but I think I need to study more and more.

Medical education takes 6 years too in my country. I want to study for 3rd year in Germany. I m going to take clinics with Pharma, Pathology, biochemistry and microbiology.

are there anybody who studied in Berlin?