Charles Drew, L.A.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone, I was looking through the MSAR book that I just purchased and it doesnt give any reference to Charles Drew School of Medicine in L.A.... is this school accredited?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not 100% sure, but the accreditation goes to UCLA. It is a combined program where you spend first 2 years at UCLA, then 2 years at Drew. So your degree will be offered from UCLA.

Guy, you haven't heard of the scandal in recent times??? Check the news, do a google search... Drew lost their accreditation... something about patients dying and the hospital being ill-equipped to handle some of their patients... The hospital is trying to get the people around their area to rally in support of the hospital to keep it accreditted.... I hope it fails... if you really want to maintain accreditation then you should invest more on fixing your problems then trying to get voters on your side... I am sure they are fixing their problems but they shouldn't "use" voters to get back some accreditation... whoops... thought you were talking about the hospital instead... NM

Members don't see this ad :)
The Drew hospital recently lost it's accreditation. I believe the med school is still accredited right now, although the fact that the hospital is not anymore does put the school's accreditation status in jeopardy. So technically it is accredited...for now. Who knows what it will be in a few months though.

Hope this helps.

EvilNewbie said:
Guy, you haven't heard of the scandal in recent times??? Check the news, do a google search... Drew lost their accreditation... something about patients dying and the hospital being ill-equipped to handle some of their patients... The hospital is trying to get the people around their area to rally in support of the hospital to keep it accreditted.... I hope it fails... if you really want to maintain accreditation then you should invest more on fixing your problems then trying to get voters on your side... I am sure they are fixing their problems but they shouldn't "use" voters to get back some accreditation... whoops... thought you were talking about the hospital instead... NM

you guys are wrong. get your facts straight before dumping bs on here. later.

the drew/ucla program is fully fine. degree granted from ucla. the program is lcme accredited which is the body that accredites med schools.

the hospital, not the drew/ucla program, lost jcaho accrediation. it can get it back within a few months, 1 year, 2 years, etc. radiology and surgery lost accred due to some clerical issues, but regardless, they are not accred for now. the rest of the departments are fully accredited and fine. some are in probabtion, but they are being fixed. there is a nursing issue in the hospital as well as across the country. the county, which partially funds the hospital, closed its trauma unit for now until it can fix the rest of the hospital in general.

drew university is different than the hospital which is mlk/la county/drew medical center. the hospital is staffed by drew dr's but its a separte thing. the residency programs are different than drew/ucla. drew/ucla is fine.

i doubt drew will get accreditation back anytime soon because it's the worst hospital in the country. read the la times, that's their words, not mine. as for the m3/m4/residency being fine, i don't see how working at the worst hospital in the country is "fine", with or without accreditation.

People in the Drew/UCLA program wont have any problems getting trained and graduating since UCLA is the degree granting institution. How residencies view you clerkships at King/Drew is another story all together.