1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Charles R. Drew/UCLA Interview Feedback

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UCSBPre-Med, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Hey guys. I tried adding this to the interview feedback section on the SDN main page, but they don't have a section for Drew! We have to change that!

But anyway, for those of you who don't know, Charles R. Drew University is a medical school thats associated with UCLA. You do the your basic sciences years at UCLA, then your clinical years at Martin Luther King, Jr./Drew Hospital in Watts instead of UCLA medical center in Westwood. Although, your Doctor of Medicine degree will be from UCLA, as it is "technically" UCLA's program.

Well, Drew prides itself on work with the underserved communities, and the med students/residents get a lot of clinical experience working in this hospital in the heart of South-Central Los Angeles.

The interview went ok, with the large amount of time spent sitting around waiting to be interviewed and watching recruitment interviews. We were the first batch of interviewees, and it showed. Things were just a "tad" bit disorganized, and seemed kind of hurried. Now onto the interview.

My interviewer (there was only one--either a faculty member or a med student) was a Ob/Gyn from Nigeria. He had a pretty thick accent and was pretty intimidating. He asked questions about my family, why I wanted to go into medicine, what was the hardest thing that I've faced in my life, etc. The interview was really short, lasting only about 15-20 minutes. He asked me personal questions about weaknesses on my file (not having an overabundance of ECs, and my verbal subscore). It was a bit hard, but overall he seemed nice, and told me I had a great GPA, and a good shot at getting in.

Overall, I'd say that I was worried at the beginning of the day, but by the time my interview came around (1pm, started at 8am!) I was a lot more relaxed.

The best part of the interview was the tour of King hospital. That hospital is amazing; the amount of clinical experience that our M3 told us he's gotten is downright exciting. He has at many busy times, had his own patients that are entirely his responsibility. The residents do check up on you every once in awhile though. :D

Drew might not be the most prestigious institution out there, but if you want to work with an underserved, predominately minority population, and learn a lot of clinical skills not learned by many until residency, then Drew is a good place to go. You also have the benefit of getting your MD degree at UCLA so if you are into the name recognition thing, you have that.

Whew!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nefertari

Nefertari Undercover Premed
    7+ Year Member

Thanks! Sucks that they're still disorganized & you had to sit @ waiting for so long (last year's interviewees had the same experience). The clinical training & King/Drew MC sound great, though! :)

4. DREW DAY

DREW DAY Junior Member

How many people do they take into the program at Drew?

5. There are 24 spots in each entering class.

6. salliyahg

do you know how many secondaries/interviews they offer?

7. 911 Turbo

911 Turbo middle schooler aspiring doctor
    Removed Account on Hold Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student

His post was a decade ago...

8. ShenanigansMD

ShenanigansMD Gryffindor

Pre-Medical

Hahahahaha :rofl:

He might show up...

9. zwitterion34

zwitterion34 .4520000000000000k Member