Charting outcomes questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Scribe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why isn't ophthalmology data included?

I noticed that no data on race is published (like it is for AMCAS). Does that mean race doesn't play a factor in matching?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed that no data on race is published (like it is for AMCAS). Does that mean race doesn't play a factor in matching?

Thanks for the help
Optho goes through the San Fransisco match as does uro.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for the help
Urology and Ophthalmology have their own early matches and thus aren't included in the data.

Overall race doesn't play anywhere near as large a role as it does in medical school admissions. Likely to be a net neutral. If you're picking people to work 60-80 hours per week with for the next 3-7 years, skin color is the last thing that should factor in to that decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Optho goes through the San Fransisco match as does uro.
Interesting. Does that mean they get two chances at the match? Uro through sf and then gsurg as plan b through eras?

Interesting. Does that mean they get two chances at the match? Uro through sf and then gsurg as plan b through eras?

Yes although I’m not sure how feasible Gen Surg to urology is after residency. This is part of the reason that Uro and Optho have such low match rates (in the 70s) - people can always give it a shot and have another specially as a backup

Yeah, most of the people I’ve known who’ve gone through the SF match do apply to back-ups through the regular match, though this gets expensive. For optho you have to go through the regular match as well for your TY/pre-lim year.