Chatham College Open House (Pittsburgh, PA) - Anyone been/going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markelmarcel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an email for an open house invitation for Chatham College's graduate school at the end of October.

Has anyone been before? How was it?

Anyone going Oct. 30?

Members don't see this ad.

They were "too good" for my "old" GRE score lol. Otherwise I'd be there...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email for an open house invitation for Chatham College's graduate school at the end of October.

Has anyone been before? How was it?

Anyone going Oct. 30?

If you're not far, it's a nice opportunity to have your questions answered and hear more about the program. The group at the PT table was relatively small, and the PT faculty was very open. If you're not close though, I wouldn't waste the trip. You'd probably be better off visiting during the week when you can sit in on a class and get a tour that actually shows you the PT facilities.

If you're not far, it's a nice opportunity to have your questions answered and hear more about the program. The group at the PT table was relatively small, and the PT faculty was very open. If you're not close though, I wouldn't waste the trip. You'd probably be better off visiting during the week when you can sit in on a class and get a tour that actually shows you the PT facilities.

I live about an hour from the 'burgh, but my boyfriend lives like 25 minutes away, so no worry about the drive.

But thanks for the info :)

It's Chatham University. :)

Are you interested in the program? I go to undergrad here and I'm applying for early decision to the program. I may be able to answer questions about the campus, the faculty, and possibly the program.

I am currently a 1st year in the DPT program at Chatham, so I could also try to answer any questions! I fell in love with the program/school when I went to the Open House last year. It's a good way to get a "feel" for if you are a good fit.

Did you notice though if you search "Chatham University" other than on Chatham's webpage it is referred to as "Chatham College" -- on PTCAS and some other statistic sites... I thought I had gone insane. I always knew it as "University" not "College"...

ANYWAY--

I did get my things in for the early decision and I did rsvp to go to the open house...

What are your experience with campus life at Chatham? Also, I'm about an hour and a half away from Pittsburgh right now (Indiana, PA) and my boyfriend is a tech guy... He does a lot of traveling, but his main office is in Penn Hills. We're trying to scope out a good place for both of us to be in the city if I get accepted.

Any parts near Chatham worth living that isn't too outrageously priced? (I'd love to live in Shadyside but I don't see that happening since I won't have a job while going to school).

I guess I just have basic wonderings about how professors are with helping students, if the labs are open for studying in the evenings, what is expected of you to stay enrolled in the program, etc...

I expect any program to be difficult and very time-consuming, but I guess I want to know what the perks are of Chatham, what makes it different than other schools?

I live in Shadyside, which is expensive, but nice to be so close to campus.

The professors at Chatham are great. They are great teachers, and they are very willing to help out if you need it. That is one of the things I am most happy about with my choice to go to Chatham.

You can access the main building (Chatham Eastside) anytime with your student ID, where the computer labs and classrooms are. As far as labs, you can also access the cadaver lab outside of class, in fact it is encouraged.

They are pretty strict about passing your courses to stay in the program. For the classes which are graded traditionally, you have to pretty much get a B in order to stay in the program. The exact percentage varies a little from course to course. I think it is 75% in some and 80 in others. But, some of the classes are pass/fail, so that is pretty straightforward. The basic philosophy is that you can't just be great at some things and mediocre in others and average out the difference. You are expected to learn everything and know it well.

I chose between Chatham and Pitt, and for me the obvious choice was Chatham. It just felt right. I am sure Pitt has a great program, but for me personally, Chatham won me over. You will definitely benefit from going to the Open House.

I live in Shadyside, which is expensive, but nice to be so close to campus.

The professors at Chatham are great. They are great teachers, and they are very willing to help out if you need it. That is one of the things I am most happy about with my choice to go to Chatham.

You can access the main building (Chatham Eastside) anytime with your student ID, where the computer labs and classrooms are. As far as labs, you can also access the cadaver lab outside of class, in fact it is encouraged.

They are pretty strict about passing your courses to stay in the program. For the classes which are graded traditionally, you have to pretty much get a B in order to stay in the program. The exact percentage varies a little from course to course. I think it is 75% in some and 80 in others. But, some of the classes are pass/fail, so that is pretty straightforward. The basic philosophy is that you can't just be great at some things and mediocre in others and average out the difference. You are expected to learn everything and know it well.

I chose between Chatham and Pitt, and for me the obvious choice was Chatham. It just felt right. I am sure Pitt has a great program, but for me personally, Chatham won me over. You will definitely benefit from going to the Open House.

Thanks for the information! :):) I really apprecaite it and I'm excited to go to the Open House! I've only ever driven past the outskirts of Chatham to get over to UPMC Shadyside/other parts of the city!