Cheap East coast medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm deciding which school to apply to... and i'm most concerned about $$$. I'm from NY and will be applying to just about all the instate NY schools.
Does anyone know of other schools around NY or on east/mid US that is known to be cheap, or is known to give scholarships or aid thats not just loans?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Rule of thumb, cheapest school is always your state school.

EN

Members don't see this ad :)
Second rule of thumb, the next cheapest school is the richest school you get into. (aka harvard, mayo, or washu, if you can get in there. Lower average debt than any state school afaik)

Third rule of thumb, if all else fails, gotta love the lake effect snow. LECOM -.-

Just remembered, fourth rule of thumb, USUHS they pay YOU for attending their medical school.

EN

sdn is full of chimeric multi-thumbed half-breed humans

sdn is full of chimeric multi-thumbed half-breed humans
If we look deep down into the human soul, isn't everybody, metaphorically speaking, a chimeric multi-thumbed half-breed human?

beyond your state schools, some of the big name privates like to give good scholarships or hefty financial aid. Cornell comes to mind for good financial aid. Columbia for scholarships I think.

If I were you I would apply to any schools in your range, get in, and THEN worry about money. You never know how the financial aid till you have your hat in the ring

This whole thread just made me lol....good little humor break from the large amount of physical science passages I am working my way through today....thanks guys!

You always have such helpful things to say.
thank god we have you to make up for my deficiencies, what with you being the overflowing fountain of wisdom that you are.
If we look deep down into the human soul, isn't everybody, metaphorically speaking, a chimeric multi-thumbed half-breed human?
oo very meta. very nice

Members don't see this ad :)
:hijacked:

All this thumb talk reminds me of the joke I heard few years ago about the origin of thumb rule.

Rule of thumb, if you're gonna beat your wife make sure the stick you use isn't thicker then your thumb.
sorry in advance if I offended anyone.

i thought that was actually where it came from, not a joke

lol so many FMA references

Hm.. i should have mentioned I prob wont get into any top med schools =D

I'm not even considering Cornell/Columbia at the moment... their medians are crazyy... I heard Cornell is pretty unfriendly to Cornell undergrad kids... not sure if thats true

Choosing med school so difficult! =(

Just remembered, fourth rule of thumb, USUHS they pay YOU for attending their medical school.

EN

I know it is the standard response whenever someone brings up USUHS in one of these threads about medical school cost but you really can't go to USUHS for the money. Personally I love getting paid to go to school but it really does need to be stressed that financial considerations are rarely a good enough reason by themselves to join the military.

I know it is the standard response whenever someone brings up USUHS in one of these threads about medical school cost but you really can't go to USUHS for the money. Personally I love getting paid to go to school but it really does need to be stressed that financial considerations are rarely a good enough reason by themselves to join the military.
Yes I know I read 52 page USUHS thread on pros and cons of military medicine and it is still on top of my school list and money is only a secondary to me.

EN

All succesful premeds and persons need to watch full metal alchemist, best series ever and the final manga came out yesterday and I'm still sad its over. :(

All succesful premeds and persons need to watch full metal alchemist, best series ever and the final manga came out yesterday and I'm still sad its over. :(

hahaha, the show sets it self different from bleach, naruto and one piece in that it raises many questions. one such as, what does it mean to be a human? what dedictates the price you have to pay for something, this question can be tied up to the whole point of can life be fair or no. should you forfeit your dream if you know you will damage other people for it? etc.

hahaha, the show sets it self different from bleach, naruto and one piece in that it raises many questions. one such as, what does it mean to be a human? what dedictates the price you have to pay for something, this question can be tied up to the whole point of can life be fair or no. should you forfeit your dream if you know you will damage other people for it? etc.

Ever watch Code Geass? Now that's a powerful question asker. FMA does constantly bring up the philosophical question of what it means to be human. From the death of the chimera ( Alexander the dog + the girl) to the pain of war and genocide to the seeking of immortality. There are many powerful concepts within anime.
All I can say is Dr.Marcoh's kind heart makes me want to be a doctor. Well maybe if I could have a P.Stone as well it'd make things a lot better.

Bleach and Naruto are extremely mainstream. Bleach is relatively weak in plot, but it makes up in pure action and amazing fights. Naruto has the concept of pain and breaking the chain of pain. That all war causes pain which then repeats itself in other wars, and how expendable people are. Or the fact that we are all so small and fight for what we believe in.

Now Code Geass, it's the most powerful anime ever. It's all about the fact that all humans feel pain and in the end we all aspire to achieve happiness.

Outside of your state schools (the SUNYs), then next cheapest will be those schools in smaller cities. Decrease in cost of living will decrease the total COA.

Ever watch Code Geass? Now that's a powerful question asker. FMA does constantly bring up the philosophical question of what it means to be human. From the death of the chimera ( Alexander the dog + the girl) to the pain of war and genocide to the seeking of immortality. There are many powerful concepts within anime.
All I can say is Dr.Marcoh's kind heart makes me want to be a doctor. Well maybe if I could have a P.Stone as well it'd make things a lot better.

Bleach and Naruto are extremely mainstream. Bleach is relatively weak in plot, but it makes up in pure action and amazing fights. Naruto has the concept of pain and breaking the chain of pain. That all war causes pain which then repeats itself in other wars, and how expendable people are. Or the fact that we are all so small and fight for what we believe in.

Now Code Geass, it's the most powerful anime ever. It's all about the fact that all humans feel pain and in the end we all aspire to achieve happiness.

ahhh ill be sure to check that show out, code G. action in beach is so good,it makes me almost wanna ignore the plot completely rofl. naruto has been heating up lately with the fight aginst pain. the next few episodes are going to be fun to watch for both bleach and naruto.

FMA was amazing; I'm going to miss it. I don't know how people think of that stuff when they draw it. The anime version is sweet and incredibly faithful to the manga.

You guys should read The Liar's Game. Psych game thriller - it blows my mind and I can only imagine it tailors well to the minds of pre-meds.

I've never read the manga. Pretty sure I saw the entire anime, though.

I think all premed should watch queen's blade, it teaches a thing or two about anatomy ;)

EN

I've never read the manga. Pretty sure I saw the entire anime, though.

Ah you watched the non-manga based one from 2003. They came out with one in later 2008 called Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Which was based off of the manga. I've seen both the Brotherhood is better.

FMA was amazing; I'm going to miss it. I don't know how people think of that stuff when they draw it. The anime version is sweet and incredibly faithful to the manga.

You guys should read The Liar's Game. Psych game thriller - it blows my mind and I can only imagine it tailors well to the minds of pre-meds.

The one thing I find slightly interesting is the role of Truth/God in the Manga. He seems like a very boring child who waits for people to come to play with him. Like he spends his time before the gate of truth and waits for people to display their hubris ( attempt to play god and do human transmutation). He then goes to deal them their deal and takes pieces of them which are most important to their goals. But in return he plays fair and gives them universal information.

Hahaha how did this turn into an anime/manga thread lol... but yup, code geass was excellent, FMA was good. one piece manga is the BESTTTTTTTTTTTTT! Bleach was good but now its just plot hax. Naruto is like kinda bad now too. Hate how bleach/naruto always go to friendship beats all logic...

:hijacked:

Seriously guys? SDN is full of a bunch of crappy stuff, but it has no room for manga/anime discussions on a thread that is supposed to be helping out the OP with a cheap school.

Back to the topic - your state schools will be cheapest and big name privates can also be quite cheap (sometimes cheaper than state schools).

Seriously guys? SDN is full of a bunch of crappy stuff, but it has no room for manga/anime discussions on a thread that is supposed to be helping out the OP with a cheap school.

I agree. It forces you to try to filter through the bs to find the actual info. the thread is about. Go talk somewhere else or start your own thread about whatever you are talking about.

Outside of your state schools (the SUNYs), then next cheapest will be those schools in smaller cities. Decrease in cost of living will decrease the total COA.
#iagree. Other than the SUNY schools, most private schools (with the exception of Ivy's) will give you scholarships, grants and the like. Depending on what type of person you are, you may want to apply to smaller private schools to increase your chances of getting $$$.