cheap(er) medical journals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichaelRW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many reasons for a premed student to want to regularly read medical journals (or any science-type journal for that matter). Some premeds may want to read them for professional knowledge, others for MCAT prep and/or interview prep, others do it simply for personal enjoyment. The problem for me, though, is that they are entirely too expensive to get my hands on. Yeah, some do offer student discounts, but even so they will still cost at least 150 bucks.
I see quite a few people on SDN talking about reading journals and I always wonder tom myself how they can afford to drop such a large amount of money on something like a high end research "magazine" ... OR is there a cheaper way to get ahold of these types of journals that I just don't know about. The latter is what I am hoping to be true. Can anyone provide any insight into this for me?

Members don't see this ad.

umm you should get access to them by your university/university libraries

Also, check out the NEJM weekly audio podcast summary. It's free and gives the general gist of many of the important articles within the journal itself. Think of it as NEJM-lite. If you do find interesting articles/case reports you can get access through your school like BB mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
great, thanks for the ideas/suggestions ... esp. the NEJM podcast