Cheap flights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paranoid Android

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my first interview invitation (Pittsburgh) and I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions as to where to book cheap flights. I've kind of browsed around expedia and orbitz, but I'm wondering if it might be beneficial to book directly with an airline to rack up some "frequent flyer miles" to use since I'll probably be flying more than once?!? Let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Orbitz has the cheapest fares. The airlines all agreed to offer their absolute cheapest fares on Orbitz. I bought a ticket there and it was over $100 more on the American website. You can still get frequent flier miles, no matter how you book.

Southwest Airlines has a lot of cheap fares. In fact, they have specials going right now that only require 7-day advance. They don't cooperate with Orbitz though.

The best thing about Southwest is that you can really rack up free flights. They give you double credits if you book online, and so it only takes 4 round-trips (16 credits) to earn a free flight that way. They don't fly everywhere though.

HTH

Pam

When I interviewed, I used TWA youth travel packs. For 540 dollars, you get 4 one way tickets to anywhere that TWA flies in the country. Just make sure that you reserve an actual seat number (sometimes they put you on stand-by without telling you) and make the reservation 2 weeks in advance. You should be able to find the program on TWA's website if they still have it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had been using the twa travel packs to get back and forth from home and school cross-country, and i'm pretty sure they're not available anymore :(

Yes, I just checked too, the TWA travel packs are no longer available. Hope southwest goes everywhere you guys need to go. Otherwise you might want to check with a travel agent because even though they add on their own fees, sometimes they are still able to get you a better deal then what you could get by yourself.

One more thing - American Express has a deal for students, where you can get so many cheap fares (maybe 4 a year?) if you use their card. I got an application in the mail a while ago. Check out their website, maybe there's something there. You have to be a student though.