Cheap Interview Travel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Banana Hammock

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how people are getting to their interviews. Most airlines require a Sat stayover for the best fare, so I find myself spending 2-3 days in any given city for a Fri or Mon interview. Northwest Airlines is a great way around this dilemma, but they don't fly everywhere (AirTran is another good option).

Also, are people having any luck finding decent fares when scheduling multi-city airtravel? Orbitz.com is helpful for showing all the options, but prices are high.

Anyone having luck with websites that allow you bid on flights?

Amtrak just takes too long.

Any other options?

Members don't see this ad.

i got some decent deals on ATA
and soutwest has this promo where if you fly 4 roundtrips you get a free ticket
but ata has a much better schedule
ive been able to schedule a flight out late afternoon or evnings the night before and a flight back the evening of the interview
which minimizes my hotel stay and time off from rotations

I had not tried ATA before. Thanks so much.

hey, there are also some great deals on Spirit Airlines. although my cousins just flew from NYC to LAX and said the planes were a bit cramped. JetBlue was about $60 more for Direct TV and leather seats.

Originally posted by Banana Hammock
I'm wondering how people are getting to their interviews. Most airlines require a Sat stayover for the best fare, so I find myself spending 2-3 days in any given city for a Fri or Mon interview. Northwest Airlines is a great way around this dilemma, but they don't fly everywhere (AirTran is another good option).

Also, are people having any luck finding decent fares when scheduling multi-city airtravel? Orbitz.com is helpful for showing all the options, but prices are high.

Anyone having luck with websites that allow you bid on flights?

Amtrak just takes too long.

Any other options?

www.priceline.com

I was able to find a plane ticket to Oregon 2 days prior departure for $350! This ticket was priced at $1800. :)

Other possibilities are:
www.hotwire.com
this is orbitz's get a deal if you are somewhat flexibile site.

Another is
www.studentuniverse.com
not the greatest deals, but if you need a last minute ticket without a Saturday stay, the prices are pretty good.

Try these out...
JB

I've had good luck with travelocity.com. Not always super cheap, but I can usually get reasonable deals at whatever time I want to fly. They don't cover all the airlines though, so you might double check on Southwest's site to make sure they don't have something cheaper. Nice thing about travelocity is you can also enter frequent flyer number for credit.

Sign up for the fare sale e-mails that most airlines send out (Southwest, if they fly where you're going, has great sales every week). You can go to their websites to sign up.

Another tip is to search on Expedia or Travelocity to see which airlines fly to your destination, and then go to that airline's website to book it. Sometimes it's cheaper on their site.