1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

cheap place to pre dental

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by gegogi, Apr 8, 2007.

1. gegogi

gegogi New Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hi, folks,

I am looking for cheap place to pre dental, but im not meaning the post-bac.
    I am now in NY and have a NY residency. I got accepted at SUNY at Stony Brook, but it's cheap only for the tuition. The living cost is too expensive,$4000 for 4 month in a dorm. If I am goiing to off-campus, I need to buy a car. it will cost me too much. I am looking for other schools. I found that BYU, U of Utah, etc. But I don't know much about their science courses. Anybody have an opinion?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    do you know that NYC is a few thousand miles from Utah? if you are looking for a cheap place, its probably less expensive to stay where you are then to try to move across the country to take your pre-reqs.

4. Blarelli

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    BYU is a good school. They put out tons of dental students.

5. 4thQtrDreams

4thQtrDreams Good times, for a change.
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    where in NY are you located? We may be able to help more if you filled us in on your living situation. If you are living at home with parents and such, and live in NYC i would definitely recommend a CUNY. Hunter, City College, Baruch(though its business oriented, i believe all prereqs are offered there).

6. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    its a very good school, but the OP is in NYC, has a bachelors degree, and wants to take only his pre-reqs. it seems kind of odd to move across the country to take only the pre-reqs.

7. gegogi

gegogi New Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, seems odd even for me. I live alone in Queens, the rent and the living cost are over $1500 per a month even I don't have my own car.
    I have a senior in University of Oklahoma, so Im searching for there. He says tnat the rent is around $300 per a month and the living cost is extremely cheap. maybe it would be below $1000 per a month with owning a car. But, Im wondering that dental schools such as Columbia and NYU look down on students from Oklahoma.

8. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    it would probably help you if you stayed at a school in NYC if you want to go to Columbia or NYU.... although they probably wouldnt look down on someone from the University of Oklahoma, its a pretty well known school. have you looked into any student loans to fund your education?