Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Cheap vs Dream School: Residents Chime In!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by doctorsareneat, Feb 18, 2007.

?

Cheap school or Dream School?

1. Cheap School

46 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Dream School

88 vote(s)
    65.7%
  1. doctorsareneat

doctorsareneat im a new kid
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    A couple of weeks ago I posted a poll asking if you would go to your expensive dream school or your in-state cheap school.

The results were about 2.5 to 1 dream school (last time I checked).

So, I posted the same thing on the Residents forum, and the results were about 3 to 1 cheap school.

It kind of opened my eyes to how this debt really is going to affect my life, specialty choice, family, etc. Not that I was so naive before, but hearing from residents (I feel) really nailed it down for me.

With this new (totally scientific) poll info in mind...

Which would you choose? The Cheap School or the Dream School?

2. Stolenspatulas

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    why can't your cheap school and dream school be the same!

I just blew your mind.

also, your poll is entirely too simple...how cheap is cheap (100K total?)... how dream is dreamy(I would pay 100K more to go here than my cheap school, but not 150K?)... quantify my friend, the world is not always just pink and brown.

3. OP
    OP
    doctorsareneat

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    sorry, I should have linked to my first post, but the SDN search almost never works for me and I can't find it.

In that post I explained that 'cheap school, dream school' was my situation. I had a school that I fell in love with far away for lots of $$ and my state school right down the street (which is a good school, but not my 'dream') for a lot less money.

I think a lot of pre-meds find themselves in this situation (I would guess almost anyone who gets accepted to more than one school).

4. Nomemory

Nomemory Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah my dream school is my cheapest *potential* choice. Downside: possible lose-lose. Upside: possible win-win. :scared: :scared: :scared:

5. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Exactly! :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

I picked my dream school. I don't regret it, and never will.

BTW, the difference between the schools wasn't that much. Max, prob ~$50K. Minimum, prob ~$20k.

But, before I got into my dream school, I was choosing between my state school and a private school. I picked the state school, even though the difference was only $40k (same as between dream school and state school). So I guess the real question is, how much more do you love the dream school than the cheap school? Only you can make that decision.

7. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

I would go with the higher ranked school regardless of cost or dream....it will get you a better residency....i believe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    every doctor I have ever talked to says the opposite. I've worked in the hospital for 2.5 years now and all the doctors I meet say to go to the cheapest school you get into. I understand many competitive pre-meds are so focused on rankings and "prestige" and whatnot, but it seems the real world doesn't care at all.

9. Smiles91084

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You can have both your cheap school and your dream school. One example is UCSF. Cheap and perfect for many Californians. UCLA and UCSD too.

10. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

Most would have a better chance at winning the lottery than getting in to those.

BTW-I am not included in the "most" I was talking about.

11. Smiles91084

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Depends if you're Californian or not. People do get into those. I can already name four people in my head and that's only my close friends and family.

12. Smiles91084

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Another good school is U of Wisconsin, Madison. They have a good rep and cheap school for residents. I'm not from Wisconsin, but if were, I think it would be a good school to attend.

13. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

When you get to med school, you realize that, in terms of education, where you go matters a lot less than you thought it would. For the first two years, you will teach yourself most of the information, and the information is the same no matter where you go. How you do on the boards is not a factor of where you go to school (despite what everyone on these forums will tell you), it is a factor of #1 - how hard you study, and #2 - how good of a test taker you are. When you're doing your rotations, you'll realize that what you learn on them does not have anything to do with the school that you're at, or even the hospital you're in. Sure, if you're in certain hospitals you might see some cooler stuff. But what you actually LEARN will be dependent on your attendings, your residents and your interns and how well they teach you, which varies from person to person. It is NOT related to what school you go to. I would imagine that most doctors, thinking about this retrospectively, and possibly with considerable debt, would think that cheapest is best, and maybe when you're a doctor, you'll look back and think that it didn't really matter where you went either. BUT I will tell you this: while you should take this into consideration, they are looking back on med school, which they survived, and got to where they wanted to be, and so they think it doesn't matter. It DOES matter. You will be spending the next 4 years of your life somewhere. If you don't like the location, the people, the school, etc, etc, you may not be happy for the next four years. Medical school is not fun. You don't want to make everything worse by picking a school you're not crazy about just because it's cheaper. Yes, in the long run you will get to the same place and probably won't care where you went (looking back now, was high school REALLY so bad?). But for the next 4 years of your life, you will care.

Of course, there are shades of gray, and most decisions don't come down to a school you would like and a school you wouldn't. It's usually a school that you like and a school that you like more. But be aware that, while reputation and whatnot may not matter, your happiness will.

14. Smiles91084

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    or University of Michigan. That's a public school, right?

15. Shpamme

Shpamme status pages confuse me.
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hehe.. as a fellow Californian with less than stellar undergrad stats, I can tell you that for a great number of us (especially nontrads), they are still dream schools.

That said, maybe it's idealistic, but I think anywhere you go, even if it's your cheap state school (because you're lucky enough not to be Californian), you can make it your dream school. A lot of med school is what you make of it, or so I've heard. Sorry, I just re-read that and it sounds preachy. I didn't mean for it to.. but you get the idea. =)

Ohio seems like a great place to combine the idea of dream/cheap school, with 8 Ohio schools. I don't know if all those are state schools though..

16. cakebaker2

cakebaker2 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for starting this thread doctorsareneat - for people with multiple acceptances, I'm sure it's a tough decision. I was accepted at Drexel, and if I'm accepted at my state school it will be hard to decide. Out of the two, Drexel is my dream school - the faculty seemed really supportive, the students were friendly, they're big on utilizing technology. But at my state school, the faculty and students didn't seem as interested in the applicants/interviewees and overall the interview day didn't feel as welcoming (of course the advantages are cost and being able to stay close to home).

Do you guys think in general most public schools don't cater to students as well as private schools do? :confused:

17. OP
    OP
    doctorsareneat

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think that private schools can afford some opportunities that public schools usually can't. I might start a war by saying that, but I still think it's true. But a public school can still earn great prestige (UCSF, UCSD, UM, UVA, etc.), and with prestige comes money and with money comes opportunity. So I guess more than public vs private, it's big name vs no name.

18. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd also wait to see whether the cheap school is still the cheap school once you get the fin aid packages. While the state school might have lower tuition/COA, often the private school gives a larger amount of scholarship money so in effect the private school might be the cheaper option for you. It doesn't always work that way, and depends on your financial situation, but it's something to consider.

19. Funky

Funky This space is for sale
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    A school like mayo which gives you scholarship could be a dream school and cheap school. 45% of students get a full ride. But not many people get into mayo.

20. PeripateticMD

PeripateticMD Peripatetic
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dean Wofsy at UCSF straight up tells applicants (or he told my applicant group) that the number 1 reason that people do NOT decide to go to UCSF (after being accepted) is because they get better financial packages at other schools and that UCSF has almost only need based moneys. So even with all that prestige... they don't have money to give out the fantastic merit scholarships you see elsewhere. So nope, it's more public vs. private (at least if you're a CA resident) than small name vs. big name.

21. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    What the hell is a dream school? I have heard of dream cars, dream houses, etc, but who the hell dreams about school?

22. YupGypsy

YupGypsy Banne*d for Tr*olling
    10+ Year Member

"the inconvenient truth about debt is that it has to be paid back"

23. Khanal007

Khanal007 Member
    7+ Year Member

I gotta ask, what schools did these doctors attend? What specialty were they in school for?

General internal med...cheaper school would make sense. derm, or orthopedic surgery, or desire to enter academic medicine, a higher ranked can have its merits.

Also, for me, my state school has an average debt of 100k, while many of the top ten schools also have average debts of 100k -- so price doesn't matter.

24. kyneuromania

kyneuromania Neurosurgeon
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :thumbup:

25. Gut Shot

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can't rely on average debt figures. Yes, there is financial aid but you might not get any. Yes, you will have classmates whose parents pay for their med school. The only thing that matters is what the school is going to cost you.

26. OP
    OP
    doctorsareneat

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    sorry, I'm kind of new to this so I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I definitely dream about school. It's four years of my life, and education and learning are two of the most important things in the world (to me). I value them over cars and houses (not that I can't dream about them, too).
    Of course, if you were just kidding, I just made an ass of myself...