Cheapest place for instruments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firebird

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where's the cheapest place on the internet to buy instruments like stethoscopes, etc? I was told that our medical school recommends the Littman Master Cardiology and the Panoptic Diagnostic set.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Firebird said:
Where's the cheapest place on the internet to buy instruments like stethoscopes, etc? I was told that our medical school recommends the Littman Master Cardiology and the Panoptic Diagnostic set.

Thanks!

Figure out what you want, and then buy them on Ebay.

I recommend Littman for the scope, and Welch-Allyn, styles are whatever you like. The panoptic is nice but large, and frankly you probably don't need an oto/ophalmoscopy or sphygmomanometer at all, since anywhere you're likely to be has them, and your batteries are likely to be dead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Firebird said:

Thanks!

my setup exactly...make sure you get the all black edition of the steth and full (non-student) version of the panoptic head (i assume you're getting the lithium handle).

cheers.

What's the difference between the student and non-student versions of the panoptic and the lithium vs. non-lithium handle?

Firebird said:
What's the difference between the student and non-student versions of the panoptic and the lithium vs. non-lithium handle?

Student/non-student is the price (Welch-Allyn offers a small discount to Med Students). You can shop around and get better deals, if you want, in addition to the places mentioned www.allheart.com has good deals as well.

The lithium handle is somewhat smaller in diameter, and a little lighter. It provides a longer battery life. With either battery, you'll wind up replacing it before you start your residency, the lithium is more expensive.

Want some advice? The toys are kind of cool but until you're actually in practice, you don't need this stuff. The Welch-Allyn reps are all over new classes trying to convince you to buy so that you'll be a lifelong customer. It's just a tool, there are lots of alternatives with equal performance and price. Welch-Allyn is a fine product (and I really like their bp cuffs) but they're just preying on young med student psychosis with their ad campaigns.

I'd get the steth (got my littman from allheart.com) but I'd seriously wait on the other stuff until you find out you 100% need it like, next week. even in our labs/clinical skills where it was "required" most people didn't have one and we just shared, not a big deal at all. there's better stuff to spend your money on now ; )