Cheapest Place to buy premed textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHoosier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a freshman next year and I just found out that i have to pay for my own textbooks so does anyone know a place where I can get them for really cheap?

Members don't see this ad.

half.com, or u may want to check out textbook rental services. rent a 150 -200 dollar book for 60 bucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
chegg is a textbook rental service that offers texts at reasonable prices...good for those books you are not using anymore.

b&n with discount
half.com
amazon...sellers
ebay as well
occasionally craigslist

amazon, or just ask around on facebook

I like cheaptextbooks.com

I've bought many txtbks from this site. sometimes (biochem and micro), I've gotten the 'international edition' which is softcover and has a different cover and maybe a slightly different title than the US edition. however, the contents have been the same as the US edition. and there's the cool factor in having "not to be sold in the US" on the spine of the book (these books have shipped from Bangkok). I realize it may sound sort of sketchy, but I've had good, fast service and gotten the books for cheap ($70 for biochem vs. $140 in the campus bookstore). you may not be able to resell the books via the usual channels

I like half.com. Buy the book, use it for X months then sell it for ~75% of what you bought it for.

also, if you buy international editions, you can often get them for 50-60 dollars, compared to 150-200. only downside is that they sometimes are paperback, and you probably will not be able to sell them back.

but if it's for like chemistry or physics classes, where you'll need to keep the books for later reference (e.g. MCAT), you might as well take this route. You can often find international editions on ebay.

the kids that are graduating/are looking to get rid of them.

I'm going to be a freshman next year and I just found out that i have to pay for my own textbooks so does anyone know a place where I can get them for really cheap?

Russia. Only the only problem is they're all in Russian...

The best site I've found for used textbooks is www.textbooks.com - I discovered it freshman year, and now all my friends use it too! I like that they have free shipping, and they have a buy back program for certain books.

cheapbooks.com

biggerbooks.com

amazon.com

Textbook Outlet stores
Or go to your bookstore and try to find the books you need used. If there's no used go online, even if you pay for a speedy delivery you'll still save money.

Borrow them from friends who have already taken the class. If you don't have any friends (or they don't have the book) then do an isbn search online. Just don't restrict yourself to one site. If you don't mind international editions they are usually a lot cheaper. Remember though that while the intro courses will often be widely available since a lot of schools use the same text if you get into something that is a bit more specialized you might find that the best deal is actually at your university bookstore. (when I got into my junior and senior level engineering classes it became harder to find copies of the books online)