Cheapest way to get from LA (Union Station?) to San Diego?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing some revisits... and I need to get from UCLA to UCSD on April 3rd. I need to arrive in San Diego by ~ 5pm.

How do I do this?

Renting a car and driving isn't an option - I'm a horrible driver and too scared to attempt it.

Amtrak is $29! Kinda on the pricey side.

Are there other public transportation options?

Sorry if this thread isn't on topic... I was feeling really frustrated by the Metrolink website and came to pre-allo for help.

Heeeeelp!

Members don't see this ad.

Other than amtrak, the only thing I could think of would be greyhound.

Or flying, but thats even pricier.

But really, after all this application cycle has cost you, whats another $29?

So I found a bus you can take from the Oceanside Metrolink station to my area - it'll take about 1hr 20 min :( but it should be less than $5. http://gonctd.com/html_breeze_routes/101.htm If your host is nice (okay, that's me in this case), she can pick you up from Oceanside, but it's 30 min from UCSD.

The train itself seems to be $13.50. http://www.metrolinktrains.com/farecalc/ So, for ~$18.50 (I think it'll be less) and 2hr (train) + 1hr 20min (bus) = 3hr 20min... I don't know, that's kind of a long trip =/

Alternatively, taking Amtrak:

$29 for 2hr 30min. The Old Town stop is just 15 minutes from San Diego.

Taking the Greyhound bus:

$18 (advance purchase) or $22, trip ranges from 2hr 5min to 2hr 45min. The station in San Diego is 19 minutes from UCSD. Maybe this is a good option?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why is a 20+ yo woman afraid of driving on a freeway? You are going to want a car anyways if you want to see other parts of SD.

It'd be good practice to drive =). If you attend UCSD, you will need a car to have any fun :thumbup:

Other than amtrak, the only thing I could think of would be greyhound.

Or flying, but thats even pricier.

But really, after all this application cycle has cost you, whats another $29?

yeah seriously... and believe me when I say $29 for LA to SD is chhhhhheap!!!! Clearly fares are dictated by demand and dependence on pub trans, which is why the cheapest ticket from Philly to DC is $40 in comparison

Renting a car and driving isn't an option - I'm a horrible driver and too scared to attempt it.

I just found out that owning a car is actually a requirement to go to UCLA (which makes sense for 3rd year; hospitals scattered all over a pretty big city).

"In order to attend our wealth of education at affiliate hospitals, community clinics and practices that encompass the learning environment at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, we require that every student have a reliable means of transportation. Although carpooling and public transportation are encouraged where available, there will be instances during your four years in medical school when a car is necessary. Therefore, we define a reliable means of transportation as owning an automobile that is fully functional."

So if you really want to avoid driving, you might want to take that into account when you're considering UCLA!

I have a car now, I drive to go to work, and I can drive home. But I'm still not totally comfortable making the drive from LA to SD by myself for the first time. I dunno, I totaled my car about 4 years ago, I didn't drive much during college, and I just got this car last June.

If I actually go to UCLA, I'll bring my car down there and drive because I have to. But I'd rather not make this drive if I can avoid it. Besides if I'm flying down from SF to LA, it hardly seems worth it to then RENT a car just to drive down.

Bah... I might try Metrolink from LA to oceanside....

Bah... I might try Metrolink from LA to oceanside....

Metrolink is cheaper than Amtrak but you have 1/2 the leg room and more commuters taking it. I think the extra cash for Amtrak is worth it. Its a pretty ride.
Take a bus or cab from the station to UCSD. Some schools do have commuter vans that go from the stations to the campus, you might want to look into that?

Shemarty, this is really simple: take the Amtrak from Union down to SOLANA BEACH (read: NOT OLD TOWN).

Not only is it a few bucks cheaper, but I honestly think that the solana beach station is much closer to UCSD. From there either get silverlining to pick you up, or take the 101 bus line heading south (the stop is right outside the station) to UCSD. The bus will drop you RIGHT on campus. This is your safest, fastest, and smartest option. Anything else is downright uncivilized.

The metrolink is worthless and just one (unsuccessful) attempt was enough to dissuade me from ever using it again.

yeah seriously... and believe me when I say $29 for LA to SD is chhhhhheap!!!! Clearly fares are dictated by demand and dependence on pub trans, which is why the cheapest ticket from Philly to DC is $40 in comparison

And $40 is during the off-peak hours! Usually later in the evening..

Trust me, $29 each way from LA to SD sounds a lot more appealing in comparison

Shemarty, this is really simple: take the Amtrak from Union down to SOLANA BEACH (read: NOT OLD TOWN).

Not only is it a few bucks cheaper, but I honestly think that the solana beach station is much closer to UCSD. From there either get silverlining to pick you up, or take the 101 bus line heading south (the stop is right outside the station) to UCSD. The bus will drop you RIGHT on campus. This is your safest, fastest, and smartest option. Anything else is downright uncivilized.

The metrolink is worthless and just one (unsuccessful) attempt was enough to dissuade me from ever using it again.
Oh my gosh, this IS the best option! I didn't see it before because all these public transit websites are the LEAST user-friendly things EVARRRR.

$23. And yes, I'll pick you up.

Oh my gosh, this IS the best option! I didn't see it before because all these public transit websites are the LEAST user-friendly things EVARRRR.

$23. And yes, I'll pick you up.

What can I say? They only accept the best at UCSD.. I'll hopefully see you both at second look.

Are there shuttles that go from UCLA to Union Station?